Best books to self educate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So if one were buying Chapman's today, would you suggest I look for a vintage copy? I can picture the one my Grandfather had back in the 70s. Really have no use for jetski and bow rider perspectives.

I would go for the latest edition. Just looking at Amazon.com and checking "look inside", I can see reference to more current equipment and techniques on important topics like safety equipment, fire extinguishers, navigation equipment, etc.

Given the amount of investment one makes in a boat, it seems to me that knowledge is not the place to cut corners...even if it means you end up with some redundant material.

This question comes up a lot. As noted; Chapman’s. On line (download) version for your ipad works well.

Can you guys weigh in on these two anchoring books? Anchoring: A Ground Tackler's Apprentice by Rudy Sanchez vs. The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring by Earl Hinz.

Hit the used book stores, for most of boating information and educational material, information that is ten years old is good to go. You don't need the most recent Chapman's....
I have also bought some "dated" marine instructional books but I find these fun to zip through more for historical contextuality. So in one of the books I got to read the CQR's are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I suspect that my copy of Chapmans is considerably older than any of y'all's: "Practical Motor Boat Handling, Seamanship and Piloting" by Charles Chapman, Second Edition Revised and Expanded, copyright 1917. The chapters "Flags and Colors" and "Yachting Etiquette" are a wonderful look at boating 100 years ago.

I've never been able to find a 1st edition.

--Peggie

Given the advancements in electronics, resolution, communication, and technology since 1997, is there a weather book that addresses the current state of reading and preparing for water than the Mariner's Weather Handbook?

"Practical Motor Boat Handling, Seamanship and Piloting" by Charles Chapman, Second Edition Revised and Expanded, copyright 1917.

I took my power squadron course in Madison Wis in 1964 and I thought my edition of Chapman's was pretty old. Sadly I got rid of it when I "gave up" boating... haha! In my opinion, the 1960's edition I had seemed better with more information than current ones. The current ones have been dumbed down a bit to take into account the "modern" reader.

I suspect that my copy of Chapmans is considerably older than any of y'all's: "Practical Motor Boat Handling, Seamanship and Piloting" by Charles Chapman, Second Edition Revised and Expanded, copyright 1917. The chapters "Flags and Colors" and "Yachting Etiquette" are a wonderful look at boating 100 years ago.

I've never been able to find a 1st edition.

--Peggie

I wish more boaters today would read Yachting Etiquette. It is a lost art in todays boating world.

I wish more boaters today would read Yachting Etiquette. It is a lost art in todays boating world.
Hm? Yachting etiquette. That's where you are supposed to fire a shot, cannon or any other firearm, when you come into a harbour or anchorage and the leading rank vessel, military or Power Squadron, is supposed to fire a return volley in recognition.
I have a doubt that would go over well these days.

From my 1957 Chapman's etiquette chapter.

Figured I'd make it easier for ya...

Dashew books are free: https://setsail.com/free-books/

Calder's best book is "Boatowner's Electrical and Mechanical Manual" Every cabin boat owner should own this book, IMO.

Chapmans Piloting, Seamanship and Small Boat Handling. Every boat owner should own this book, IMO.
Just downloaded the Dashew books and ordered Boatowner's Electrical and Mechanical Manual. (I already have the Chapmans book.) Thank you for the recommendations!

Back
Top Bottom