Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-03-2018, 06:44 PM   #41
Member
 
sapelo son's Avatar
 
City: Shellman Bluff, GA
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 21
On a serious note .........

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
So this question is for the southeastern boaters, with the Bahamas so close to Florida why don't I hear alot about the islands being "the best place to visit with a boat"?

We continue to discuss and plan our ICW trip (in the future) and watch TV shows about home buying in the Bahamas which shows unbelievable cruising destinations you could spend years exploring. What am I missing regarding the lack of posts on TF related to these islands?

John T.
Helmsman 38E - Maria Elena
N4061,
For us, it's all we've ever know. We always called it our "Budget Bahama Trip". We'd go on our own boat, sleep on the beach and eat what we caught. "No lie" While bullding a business and trying to raise a family, we could never be gone for very long. We would leave SE GA on a Wednesday night after work with our 24' Grady White in tow, drive all night to WPB or FPR, put the boat in the water and cross over to West End or Walkers, usually arriving before customs opened the next morning. Then we'd proceed to dive, fish and explore for few days between Walkers and Spanish. Then haul ass back home to be at work Monday morning. We have been doing that since the late 80's. As our boat's grew to bigger, faster center consoles and especially after Walkers closed, we'd venture on farther around toward Marsh Harbor. We feel in love with Green Turtle and the super nice folks there! And, with all that, we still find places we haven't spent the night or fished.

Y'all don't need to come to the SE USA and not visit the Bahamas, if time and weather allow. The Abacos are very easy for us. Now that we have "Caoz" and time. We plan to leave GTC as soon as the early spring weather settles a bit and start workin' our way south toward Crooked Island. That will be our turn around spot this season...

Order you an "Abaco Crusing Guide" now. You will spend a ton of time reading and researching, whether you ever make it there or not! It's the bible of Northern Bahamas Crusing.

Safe Travels,
Tim

NOT SURE ABOUT LINKS ON THIS FORUM BUT: JIC
White Sound Press
__________________
Advertisement

sapelo son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:48 PM   #42
Guru
 
Steve91T's Avatar
 
City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47í Sundeck
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 882
Currently in St. Petersburg. Going to the keys then the Bahamas. How do the keys compare to the Bahamas?
__________________

Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:13 PM   #43
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 14,869
Greetings,
Mr. 91. Bahamas vs Keys? It's like a whole different country...


__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:25 PM   #44
Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 857
Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapelo son View Post
N4061,
For us, it's all we've ever know. We always called it our "Budget Bahama Trip". We'd go on our own boat, sleep on the beach and eat what we caught. "No lie" While bullding a business and trying to raise a family, we could never be gone for very long. We would leave SE GA on a Wednesday night after work with our 24' Grady White in tow, drive all night to WPB or FPR, put the boat in the water and cross over to West End or Walkers, usually arriving before customs opened the next morning. Then we'd proceed to dive, fish and explore for few days between Walkers and Spanish. Then haul ass back home to be at work Monday morning. We have been doing that since the late 80's. As our boat's grew to bigger, faster center consoles and especially after Walkers closed, we'd venture on farther around toward Marsh Harbor. We feel in love with Green Turtle and the super nice folks there! And, with all that, we still find places we haven't spent the night or fished.

Y'all don't need to come to the SE USA and not visit the Bahamas, if time and weather allow. The Abacos are very easy for us. Now that we have "Caoz" and time. We plan to leave GTC as soon as the early spring weather settles a bit and start workin' our way south toward Crooked Island. That will be our turn around spot this season...

Order you an "Abaco Crusing Guide" now. You will spend a ton of time reading and researching, whether you ever make it there or not! It's the bible of Northern Bahamas Crusing.

Safe Travels,
Tim

NOT SURE ABOUT LINKS ON THIS FORUM BUT: JIC
White Sound Press
Thanks for this great post, I will purchase the book.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:29 PM   #45
Guru
 
Steve91T's Avatar
 
City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47í Sundeck
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. 91. Bahamas vs Keys? It's like a whole different country...


Lol. I see what you did there.
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:53 PM   #46
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapelo son View Post
2000 Grand Alaskan 60: New to us 12 months now. Made several local trips and 8 weeks in the Abacos as "shakedown". Lately been gettin' the survey item's and the 3000 hour engine rec's done. New aftercooler cores, blue printed the turbos, spit polish and shinned up, new Fusion kick-ass sound and she's all ready to go!

"CAOZ"
Thought it looked very familiar, especially the fold down radar arch! We have a 2002 GA 53. Hull number 1.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:57 PM   #47
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
Currently in St. Petersburg. Going to the keys then the Bahamas. How do the keys compare to the Bahamas?
Which part are you going to Steve?

If Bimini, not much difference.

If Abaco, plenty of differences, but still some home comforts.

If Exuma, Eleuthera, Cat, Long, Crooked, Andros, then a whole different experience.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:33 PM   #48
Guru
 
Steve91T's Avatar
 
City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47í Sundeck
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Which part are you going to Steve?

If Bimini, not much difference.

If Abaco, plenty of differences, but still some home comforts.

If Exuma, Eleuthera, Cat, Long, Crooked, Andros, then a whole different experience.
No clue! Havenít been to either. Our plan is to leave the boat and commute to and from it for a few months.
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:43 PM   #49
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
No clue! Havenít been to either. Our plan is to leave the boat and commute to and from it for a few months.
Then I would suggest the Abacos for your first trip. If you mean you want to leave your boat over there and fly back and forth then Marsh Harbour and Treasure Cay are well served by Bahamas Air and US Airlines.

In my opinion you could not do better than leave your boat at Treasure Cay. Good safe marina and hotel, great bar, and awesome staff.

And BREAKING NEWS. They just signed up to be a MTOA Partner Marina. So if you join MTOA you get 10% off your slip rental!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:47 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
dirtdoc1's Avatar
 
City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
The South East Coast cruising area does include the area from Walkers Cay to Aruba, including Cuba, Dominican Republic and The Caymans. And that is probably less of a trip that Puget Sound to "Alaska," however you are defining the "Alaska" cruising area.

A fact you may not be aware of, the standard insurance coverage for us who boat in this area and don't want to leave during Hurricane Season is as far south at the T&Cs. Further south is an add on. But in our boats very doable. In fact watch this space over the next few years as we plan to do just that!

Many boaters, mostly sail boats, do that on a constant basis.

And the MAIN POINT to me that you are, probably purposely, excluding, is that we can do this very comfortably 12 months of the year. How does that work in the "Puget Sound to Alaska area?"

It is great that you are proud of your cruising area, but please don't be silly in your comparison to the SE Coast!
lol, Ouch!!
__________________
Dirtdoc1
dirtdoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #51
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Huh?
Have you really been to the West Coast of the US and Canada by boat? I mean really?
Wifey B: Yes...and he was only referring to LA in the one island Catalina reference. I know the islands of the PNW and even a few others south including that can't be visited. I've been from Alaska to Montreal by coast, the Big U+ some. And done the loop. Most of Eastern Caribbean. Jamaica and Cayman in Western Caribbean. Florence cancelled our Bermuda plans so not there yet. And not to South America.

I know you were asking hubby but he's on the phone and we've been the same places.

His original comment that got the responses was a reply to a message about Catalina. Had nothing to do with the PNW or Alaska or anywhere else.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #52
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Then I would suggest the Abacos for your first trip. If you mean you want to leave your boat over there and fly back and forth then Marsh Harbour and Treasure Cay are well served by Bahamas Air and US Airlines.



In my opinion you could not do better than leave your boat at Treasure Cay. Good safe marina and hotel, great bar, and awesome staff.



And BREAKING NEWS. They just signed up to be a MTOA Partner Marina. So if you join MTOA you get 10% off your slip rental!

Iím having trouble figuring out their monthly rates from the website. I see $640 per month during the winter season from September to February (which seems pretty good), but canít figure out the monthly rate on the other months.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:29 PM   #53
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I’m having trouble figuring out their monthly rates from the website. I see $640 per month during the winter season from September to February (which seems pretty good), but can’t figure out the monthly rate on the other months.
On the pdf from their website look straight left from the "$300 Boating Credit."

Basically the bottom half of that pdf are the transient rates (it is not in columns).

If staying for 30 days plus it is 1.75 per foot per day.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:11 PM   #54
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
On the pdf from their website look straight left from the "$300 Boating Credit."

Basically the bottom half of that pdf are the transient rates (it is not in columns).

If staying for 30 days plus it is 1.75 per foot per day.

$1.75 x 41í (my boat) x 30 days = $2152.50 per month? That seems a bit steep. Canít be right.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:06 AM   #55
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
$1.75 x 41í (my boat) x 30 days = $2152.50 per month? That seems a bit steep. Canít be right.
Sort of Let's Make a Deal, but go to the right side and see the special from September 1-February 28, 2019 and boats under 60' are $640 per month. Yes, on the left side they show the rates you quoted but no one is paying those for a month. Yes, it's crazy. Always talk to them directly and persuasively. It's like their specials with 60' for $640 and 61' for $1500. Yet, 140' is only $1800. It's winter and right now they need to fill slips. They have the problem of a shortage of docking for larger boats and many empty slips for under 60'.

Their pricing strategy is insane. People look at the quoted prices and say "no" without realizing that they're always negotiable. My guess is that monthly where $1.75 per foot per day is shown never go more than $30 per foot per month, something like 3 weeks, but right now even less. I've not seen them crowded in as long as I can remember. They weren't this summer in the regular slips with the 50' or whatever they are fingers. Now, the end ties were full. And the slips behind the condos, C dock, I think perhaps 3 boats in them. My theory with them is that there's always a special, whether published or not.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:14 AM   #56
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,796
Got it. Thanks.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #57
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Yes...and he was only referring to LA in the one island Catalina reference. I know the islands of the PNW and even a few others south including that can't be visited. I've been from Alaska to Montreal by coast, the Big U+ some. And done the loop. Most of Eastern Caribbean. Jamaica and Cayman in Western Caribbean. Florence cancelled our Bermuda plans so not there yet. And not to South America.

I know you were asking hubby but he's on the phone and we've been the same places.

His original comment that got the responses was a reply to a message about Catalina. Had nothing to do with the PNW or Alaska or anywhere else.
There are a lot more Channel Islands than just Catalina. Great cruising grounds. You can bop on down the coast from Santa Barbara, through the islands thence harbor hop all the way to Ensenada. And back again!

As a reminder here is your post I responded to;" I have to laugh a bit as we went when we were on the west coast and felt a bit sorry for everyone only having the one primary island to go to." No mention of it being LA only, just "west coast" and "everyone".
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #58
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
There are a lot more Channel Islands than just Catalina. Great cruising grounds. You can bop on down the coast from Santa Barbara, through the islands thence harbor hop all the way to Ensenada. And back again!

As a reminder here is your post I responded to;" I have to laugh a bit as we went when we were on the west coast and felt a bit sorry for everyone only having the one primary island to go to." No mention of it being LA only, just "west coast" and "everyone".
Wifey B: I know but it was a response to a post on Catalina. I know it wasn't clear but I've clarified it more than once now I believe. I realize there are other islands of various types but it seemed 90+% of the attention was to Catalina. I was just struck by how lucky we are to have the Bahamas. Now, I loved the West Coast. I'm sure I enjoyed LA, SF and SD more than most here would. We packed in all the sites we could. I also enjoyed the PNW and Mexico. Haven't really cruised anywhere I didn't like, just all different.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
BrianSmith's Avatar
 
City: Wherever Smartini is
Vessel Name: Smartini
Vessel Model: 2002 Kristen 52' Flybridge Trawler
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafesport View Post
In one sentence...World class fishing, diving, boating and exploring all in the tropics. More specifically, more than 100,000 sq miles of turquoise blue water, approximately 700 islands, 30 of which are inhabited and have places for cruisers to plug yellow umbilicals allowing for a comfortable stay. If thatís not your thing then there remain another 660 plus cays and 2400 dry spots to explore and twice that number which dry out for a few hours near low tide. Additionally the topography also happens to be limestone karst which means lots of blue holes and underwater cave systems offering further exploration opportunities for those so inclined. Bottom line If you ever get a chance to fly over the area and you say to yourself wow Iíd like to see that up close on a boat then I think youíve found the answer.
Yep. What he said!

We just finished 8 months cruising all around the Bahamas, and while we didn't find anywhere we'd want to live (we didn't expect to), the whole place is a visiting boater's paradise! Drop anchor almost anywhere and you're looking at some of the most beautiful water and beaches in the world. Put your snorkel gear on and drop over the side, almost anywhere, and catch lobster, conch, and fish (all in season, of course). You want secluded? No problem. You want busy marinas and "city life" stuff? Yeah... that's a problem. But who wants that? Also, as someone pointed out, you can do it any time of year - although January and February can get a bit chilly in the more Northern islands.
BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
BrianSmith's Avatar
 
City: Wherever Smartini is
Vessel Name: Smartini
Vessel Model: 2002 Kristen 52' Flybridge Trawler
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
$1.75 x 41í (my boat) x 30 days = $2152.50 per month? That seems a bit steep. Canít be right.
Last time we were at Lighthouse Marina in Hope Town (Abacos), it was $1.00 / ft / day, and that was the transient rate. Their longer term rates would likely be less.
__________________

BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×