Old 11-26-2022, 03:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Corona Del Mar
Anchor chain selection and Windlass gypsy info

On my boat, I have two Fortress FX-85's. It is 65' and classified as 100tons, but I believe it is close to 50 to 60 tons according to a travel lift.

Currently, it has two anchor rodes of about 5' each. yes 5', no 0's missed.

The anchor rode is 3/8. I am looking to see if that is sufficient still for this boat, or is it better to upgrade to 1/2". The previous owner had plans to use 1.25" nylon rope. He wanted to put 1000ft so he can go out to the gulf and anchor.

Looking at going all chain. 300~400 ft per anchor. The boat was originally equipped with anchors that came out of the side of the bow and the anchor locker was converted into a bunk room. So the weight of the chain is of minimal concern.

I am figuring chain overall is a much better use for this size vessel.

Wondering the experts in this forums input about going to all chain, should I stick with 3/8" or go to 1/2"

Also, I have inlcuded some photos of the windlass in hopes of identifying make and model so I can buy new gypsys for it, if necessary. It is currently equipped with a 3/8" gypsy on each side. My foot is on the motor section in one photo for scale, it is a size 11.

Also, if you know the model, would love the exploded parts diagram as I would love to disassemble, clean, prep, lube, and paint it, so it is like new.

Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
20211212_132350.jpg   20211212_132342.jpg   20211212_132331.jpg   20211212_132444.jpg   20211212_132347.jpg  

sndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 04:02 PM   #2
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Perhaps a Lofrens windless?

3/8" seems undersized, even if it's G4 chain. I'd be looking for 1/2". I'm not sure what Gulf you are referring to, but if you think you will ever be anchoring in deep water I'd go for no less than 400', and preferably 600'.

Make sure you can get the required Gypsie. It might be hard for an older, and perhaps uncommon brand windless.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Apologies for the confusion. I will not be anchoring in the gulf. It will be islands, Houston, Key West, Miami, Bahamas, Turks, DR, ABCs, Roatan, Panama, the West side of Mexico to the West Coast of the US. Then just hanging out on the West coast.

Everything on the boat appears to be Vetus, so I would assume the windlass is a brand name as well. I just do not know where to look for it.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:43 PM   #4

City: Grand Rapids, MI
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: 1973 Concorde 41 DC
Just for info. "Classified as 100 Tons". Is that on the USCG Document? That Tonnage is a measure of watertight volume or cargo capacity, it has nothing to do with weight or displacement. And it can be very misleading, I've seen identical boats with grossly different tonnages. Different people do the measurements, they get very different answers. 50-60 tons actual weight or displacement makes sense, and has nothing to do with measured Tonnage.
jgwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:02 PM   #5
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Can it take a bigger than 1/2 chainwheel?

We run 13mm chain, slightly larger than 1/2 inch on our vessel and have deformed it on two occassions.

If I could get a chainwheel to suit 16mm to suit our windlass I would be using that but alas, it's not to be.

Next lot of chain we get will be P rated
Old 11-26-2022, 07:14 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Lofrans was often the mfgr. for Vetus.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:44 PM   #7
Guru

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
Looks very similar in construction to the vetus condor on my boat, but itís bigger and has the vertical capstan instead of the cast-in cleat. Motor cover is same shape too.
Iíd bet vetus. Donít know the model.
Bmarler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 10:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The closest one I have been able to find is the lofrans titan windlass
Old 11-26-2022, 10:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If it is the Titan, it looks like it will take a gypsy for 12mm or 14mm
Old 11-27-2022, 07:07 AM   #10
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndog View Post
On my boat, I have two Fortress FX-85's.

Currently, it has two anchor rodes of about 5' each. yes 5', no 0's missed.

The anchor rode is 3/8. I am looking to see if that is sufficient still for this boat, or is it better to upgrade to 1/2". The previous owner had plans to use 1.25" nylon rope. He wanted to put 1000ft so he can go out to the gulf and anchor.

Looking at going all chain. 300~400 ft per anchor.

Two anchors of the same style seems odd; think I'd have a Fortress and something else. (Typical anchor thread response.)

3/8" might be OK.

Might be a compromise chain size between 3/8" and 1/2" -- 7/16" -- available. Still would depend on whether you can match with gypsies. (And your 3/8" chain still might be OK.)

Chain is typically sold in barrels and half barrels, etc., with X feet of Y size in each barrel or half barrel. (See Defender's offerings, for example.) Once you home in on chain size, you could buy a barrel or a half barrel, then splice on a boatload of 8-plait for even deeper water. Or for emergency back-up rode in case you have to jettison one chain...

-Chris
Old 11-27-2022, 08:55 AM   #11
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Chain is typically sold in barrels and half barrels, etc., with X feet of Y size in each barrel or half barrel. (See Defender's offerings, for example.) Once you home in on chain size, you could buy a barrel or a half barrel, then splice on a boatload of 8-plait for even deeper water. Or for emergency back-up rode in case you have to jettison one chain...

-Chris

What Chris said!

Rob
Old 11-27-2022, 09:06 AM   #12
Guru

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
Quote:
The closest one I have been able to find is the lofrans titan windlass
I think youíre right. Itís a beast isnít it?
Bmarler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:33 AM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
While I would agree that 1/2" might be a better choice, it's really good to to have a more definitive definition of your boat. If it's not a common make and model, posting a picture with length, beam, and draft would be helpful. Some boats have much more surface area to be effected by wind. Other boats that are longer in length (for the same displacement) may be more stream lined with a lower profile, providing less wind resistance and maybe less wave resistance.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 01:52 PM   #14
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I second Chris' thought above about having two different types of anchors. The Fortress is great, 90% of the time, but I have had problems getting them to set on hard bottoms. Also the twin flukes can foul the chain in a reversing current anchorage (Jewell Island in Maine) and you end up with a blob of chain on the end and not an anchor.

I would look for a heavy, new design single fluke anchor, like a 100 lb Rocna, Manson Supreme, Spade, etc.

Also I like my rode's weight handling capability to match the anchor's holding power. A 100 lb Rocna should hold up to 10,000 lbs if well set. That means 1/2" G4 for a 9,200 wll.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
While I would agree that 1/2" might be a better choice, it's really good to to have a more definitive definition of your boat. If it's not a common make and model, posting a picture with length, beam, and draft would be helpful. Some boats have much more surface area to be effected by wind. Other boats that are longer in length (for the same displacement) may be more stream lined with a lower profile, providing less wind resistance and maybe less wave resistance.

Ted

It is 65', but will be 69'9" after the swim platform is added. 19' beam, 6' draft.

I have enclosed two photos of it as it is not a common make and model.
Attached Thumbnails
20220325_173931.jpg   20220727_185945.jpg  
Old 11-27-2022, 08:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
I second Chris' thought above about having two different types of anchors. The Fortress is great, 90% of the time, but I have had problems getting them to set on hard bottoms. Also the twin flukes can foul the chain in a reversing current anchorage (Jewell Island in Maine) and you end up with a blob of chain on the end and not an anchor.

I would look for a heavy, new design single fluke anchor, like a 100 lb Rocna, Manson Supreme, Spade, etc.

Also I like my rode's weight handling capability to match the anchor's holding power. A 100 lb Rocna should hold up to 10,000 lbs if well set. That means 1/2" G4 for a 9,200 wll.

David

Would a mantus work as well?

Thinking maybe leave the two Fortress for equal appearance, but then put one of the recommended ones on a 30' chain, coupled with 1.25" nylon rope.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:56 PM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
It is 65', but will be 69'9" after the swim platform is added. 19' beam, 6' draft.

I have enclosed two photos of it as it is not a common make and model.
Couldn't imagine less than 1/2" if you're anchoring in the ocean, sea, or gulf. 3/8" would be a protected waters rode. I would recommend talking with members on this forum (Twistedtree comes to mind) who have vessels of this size.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:13 PM   #18
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datenight View Post
Chain is typically sold in barrels and half barrels, etc., with X feet of Y size in each barrel or half barrel. (See Defender's offerings, for example.) Once you home in on chain size, you could buy a barrel or a half barrel...

Rob
Be aware, the barrel will be heavy, so plan ahead. The delivery guy has to bring and unload it, I suggest direct to the marina. Then you have to get it along the marina to the boat, and load it onto the boat. The windlass on the boat can do the latter.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Be aware, the barrel will be heavy, so plan ahead. The delivery guy has to bring and unload it, I suggest direct to the marina. Then you have to get it along the marina to the boat, and load it onto the boat. The windlass on the boat can do the latter.
The chain will be delivered to a shipyard with a forklift capacity. It will also be put into the boat when it is back on the hard, and definitely use the windlass for that. I like my arms, and shoulders, more than the abuse loading that much chain would do to them
Old 11-27-2022, 11:02 PM   #20
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Would a mantus work as well?

Thinking maybe leave the two Fortress for equal appearance, but then put one of the recommended ones on a 30' chain, coupled with 1.25" nylon rope.
S/V Panope has been doing anchor tests for a while. Here's his review of the Mantus M2 20 kg. Based on Panope tests last year showing flaws, Mantus apparently made modifications of the design to improve holding. Below is a screenshot of the current stack rankings of anchors Panope has tested. Mantus shows fairly well. Big benefit is it can be disassembled, though not sure that's important for your use case

https://youtu.be/hHieSDi8oqY

Note that Mantus is running a 20% discount sale through tomorrow, Nov 28th.

https://www.mantusmarine.com/?_vsref...5f4f30fba46b98

If I read your post correctly, you are considering running two Fortress anchors on your bow for symmetric aesthetic reasons. To be blunt, running two identical anchors will send the exact opposite message of what you want. Folks run dual anchors to accommodate differing bottoms; and/or to run a working anchor and a storm anchor. Running two identical anchors makes little sense.

I see you're in Newport Beach CA. Fortress is not a common primary anchor in those waters. Fortress is a good backup anchor.

30-feet of chain on a 65-foot boat is woefully undersized except for a lunch hook. Fine if you just plan to putt around Newport harbor.

If you plan to head to the Channel Islands to some of the great anchorages out there, you really need robust ground tackle for a working anchor. Given the height of your bow, I'd run at least 250-feet of 1/2" chain and the largest Vulcan (or similar) you can fit in your bow roller. This would be your working anchor, not your storm anchor.

If your plan is to head through Panama Canal and explore both sides you really need a more robust anchor setup than you're contemplating - a storm anchor. Not necessarily longer rode, but heavier tackle. I'm not sure 1/2" is adequate - maybe for your working anchor, but you will want a storm setup that is seriously oversized. If I understand your itinerary correctly, there could easily come a time when your anchor is the only thing between you and the beach. This is your only realistic chance to upgrade it.

You will indeed need a forklift to move the chain around.

Peter Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221127_193134_YouTube.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	134072