America Flag That Last

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
Have used many flags on the rear of Lunasea. They only last about 6 months before shredding. Bought the best I could find. Any help on what I should buy.

Have used many flags on the rear of Lunasea. They only last about 6 months before shredding. Bought the best I could find. Any help on what I should buy.

Same here. I have downsized the flag from the three to four footer to the 18" which now flies from the anchor light on my radar arch

Main reason was that the staff was behind my dinghy and kept getting snapped when launching the dinghy. So I moved the location.

So inexpensive enough that I just replace a couple of times a year - in fact they are perfect items for my Christmas list.

I believe the key to longer life is polyester material.

A few months ago someone gave us a new American flag, still in its original package. It was larger than our old one, and more appropriate for our boat and the location from which we fly the flag. We let the old one get a little more worn, and just replace it with the new, larger one a couple of weeks ago. It made me a little sick when I was cutting off the "made in China" tag I found on this new American flag. BTW, after only 2 weeks, it is already starting to come apart a little, and we have taken it down when the winds were high. Clearly not built to last.

I bought this one off Amazon. So far so good. It is made in the US.

Wilbork American Flag - 100% Made in USA - Strong Like Americans Made by Americans: Embroidered Stars - Sewn Stripes - 2.5 by 4 Foot

Another vote for American flags. It is very well made in a heavy cloth.

The flags made from wool are long lasting , but best of all do not flog and snap making loads of noise in a breeze.

Usually not low cost

I use Annin flags. Made in the USA a they last a long time.

Attachments

• IMG_20200826_070411.jpg
    IMG_20200826_070411.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 63
Fwiw, the right size flag for flag a staff on the transom: the "fly" (stripes) should be the length of the boat. Always go UP a size, never smaller, if the boat's length falls in between flag sizes.

Stitched flags last a longer than "printed"...they all last a lot longer if taken in when the weather is bad...and flags should never fly between sundown and sunrise unless lit.

--Peggie

Fwiw, the right size flag for flag a staff on the transom: the "fly" (stripes) should be the length of the boat. Always go UP a size, never smaller, if the boat's length falls in between flag sizes.

Stitched flags last a longer than "printed"...they all last a lot longer if taken in when the weather is bad...and flags should never fly between sundown and sunrise unless lit.

--Peggie

Of course you meant the length of the boat feet to inches. :D

My Swedish flag routinely failed at the outer corners. I think this is primarily due to the fact that it's very windy much of the time in the southern Baltic region. Finally, I took a new flag to a local sewing & clothing repair outfit and asked them to octuple-stitch the corners with color-matched thread, as the corners were always the point of failure for me. This has really helped a lot with respect to longevity. I had the stitching placed in the corners where the red marks are in the picture below. You may need to click on the picture to see the red marks.

Attachments

• flag3.jpg
    flag3.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 86
I just replaced my Annin flag with another. The previous one lasted 5 years.

Ken

I've used these guys for custom corporate logo flags in the absolute worst possible environments and they last for years. Call them, tell them you are using it on a boat and what issues you've run into, and they can set you up. In addition to strong material, they added a mesh to the trailing edge on the ones I ordered and they have held up for years near the Canadian border in -40 weather and 50+mph winds. They are also one of the biggest flagpole and flag companies in the US.

https://www.kronbergsflagsandflagpoles.com/

I learned this flag hack from the janitor at the local High School. When new, apply some clear silicone caulk on the end where it is folded over and stitched. This protects the threads that keep it sewn together.

You might contact Burgees.com the supplier of our TF burgers. They have worn well and others seem very satisfied. I think they handle some different materials and many sizes. Herb should be a knowledgeable resource. If you do i'd Mention TF.

Herb Halling
Halling@burgeeshoppe.com
562-252-6004

--Peggie
Oops I just bought one last week and it’s too small.:facepalm:

Oops I just bought one last week and it’s too small.:facepalm:

Fly it correctly and slightly small version might be overlooked by the masses. :)

Last edited:
And then there is this. In these days of Covid and restrictions etc., we rarely see American boats in Canadian waters although there are valid reasons for some of them to be here, which I assume is the case here. But I did get a chuckle out of the handkerchief sized American flag on the stern and the monstrous Canadian courtesy flag on this vessel in Von Donop.

Attachments

• DSC_8586.jpg
    DSC_8586.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 82
And then there is this. In these days of Covid and restrictions etc., we rarely see American boats in Canadian waters although there are valid reasons for some of them to be here, which I assume is the case here. But I did get a chuckle out of the handkerchief sized American flag on the stern and the monstrous Canadian courtesy flag on this vessel in Von Donop.

Pathetic and not even flown correctly from what I can tell.

If you are gonna do it, then do it with pride. If not, don't fly one at all.

Or it's one of those boats that has one spouse/owner that's Canadian and the other American (origin).....way confusing and still improper.

Last edited:

I can only see a Maple Leaf and no stars and stripes on that boat? Where is it?

I do see some sort of small US flag on the sailboat rigging on the other side.

I like that a woman is riding a stationary bike. Gotta get your steps in even if you can not get off the boat.:thumb:

I can only see a Maple Leaf and no stars and stripes on that boat? Where is it?

I do see some sort of small US flag on the sailboat rigging on the other side.

It is on the aft port corner of the boatdeck; it appears to be on the sailboat rigging but is actually on the motoryacht. (I've seen it up close but didn't have my camera at the time.)

Metal filings from flag grommets rust up deck

One thing no one has mentioned that I have discovered, is if you have cheap metal grommets on your flag they cause little metal filings to fall onto the deck of the boat and then they rust on the deck. It's important to find good quality brass grommets. I didn't used to pay attention to it until I bought a cheap flag and then I eventually figured it out when I saw little rusty specs on deck under flag. Bummer.

Back
Top Bottom