2021 Cruising Plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Great Lakes, especially Superior, were the favorite part of my 2017 trip. Looking forward to getting back up there soon.

Ted

And most loopers don't even go to Lake Superior. They don't know what they're missing.

Trying to go to the Bahamas before the year is out. I have 10 days off scheduled starting 12/30 and the boat is already in Florida.

They are open but you need a PCR test before you leave and another one after you've been there for 5 days. It will be expensive for the tests but who knows what fuel will cost next year.

We've never been there by boat and figure this year is as good as any. Might be better as there certainly won't be the normal crowds. I doubt the restrictions will be very different in the spring. Might be worse - might require a vaccine by then.

We're north of Palm beach but will probably head there and cross unless the wind is not favorable in which case we'll head further south and cross there.

And most loopers don't even go to Lake Superior. They don't know what they're missing.

Agreed! Classic example of leaving the well traveled path to see what else is so close by.

Would like to have traveled to Pittsburgh on the Ohio river and as far as is navigable on the Tennessee river also.

Ted

Agreed! Classic example of leaving the well traveled path to see what else is so close by.

Would like to have traveled to Pittsburgh on the Ohio river and as far as is navigable on the Tennessee river also.

Ted

We left the boat on the TN so the next year we went all the way on it. We also did the Cumberland but during the middle of that time our trip was disrupted as we took off to TX to help with Harvey. Also, a future goal to to up the Ohio and follow all three of the rivers in Pittsburgh all the way.

Then there's the Arkansas and the Missouri rivers and the Upper Mississippi. And the lower Mississippi, from the Ohio down. I figure if we loop every 6 or 7 years or so, we'll eventually get most of it by the third or fourth loop.

We left the boat on the TN so the next year we went all the way on it. We also did the Cumberland but during the middle of that time our trip was disrupted as we took off to TX to help with Harvey. Also, a future goal to to up the Ohio and follow all three of the rivers in Pittsburgh all the way.

Then there's the Arkansas and the Missouri rivers and the Upper Mississippi. And the lower Mississippi, from the Ohio down. I figure if we loop every 6 or 7 years or so, we'll eventually get most of it by the third or fourth loop.

Did some research on the 2 rivers that merge with the Ohio in Pittsburgh.

The Monongahela river navigation ends around Fairmont which is after Morgantown, WV. The Opekiska Lock and Dam is operational for recreational traffic, but you need to contact them in advance due to limited hours of operation.

The Allegheny river navigation seems to end around Freeport the last navigation lock that is open to recreational traffic is #5. The one above Freeport is in caretaker status only for prearranged commercial traffic.

Ted

Hmm, I haven’t found a powerful cell tower in Desolation Sound! Did it just get installed in 2020? When anchored in Priedeux Haven, lots of folks take their dinghies out into Homphrey Channel in order to get a usable signal ...

Florida’s mini loop through Okeechobee, it sounds like a fun cruise . Read lots of interesting sights along the way.

Spinner,
Sorry it upsets you but if they did there would just be more boats in DS. And I remember folks saying back in the 80’s that Desolation Sound is anything but desolate. Too many people. And the more support stuff like Wifi towers and anchoring buoys and other support the more boats and people will come. You wouldn’t complain about that would you?

Last edited:
We plan to start our modified Loop from around Duluth across Lake Superior so we won't miss Superior, but boy all the crusing guides and DNR advisories make it sound like instant death. Cold water (yes, we know), sudden boat-destroying weather changes. Any boat that dares to try it will end up like the Fitzgerald, abandon hope all ye who enter here! But then there's this article about crossing it in a pontoon boat, so it must be survivable. They're able to sprint each leg though, zipping a lot faster than we will with our 9-knot fuel efficiency sweet spot. Of course the article talks about the Fitzgerald...

https://www.greatlakesscuttlebutt.com/news/featured-news/lake-superior-by-pontoon/

We plan to start our modified Loop from around Duluth across Lake Superior so we won't miss Superior, but boy all the crusing guides and DNR advisories make it sound like instant death. Cold water (yes, we know), sudden boat-destroying weather changes. Any boat that dares to try it will end up like the Fitzgerald, abandon hope all ye who enter here! But then there's this article about crossing it in a pontoon boat, so it must be survivable. They're able to sprint each leg though, zipping a lot faster than we will with our 9-knot fuel efficiency sweet spot. Of course the article talks about the Fitzgerald...

https://www.greatlakesscuttlebutt.com/news/featured-news/lake-superior-by-pontoon/

Assuming you're traveling the South shore, focus on the safe harbors along the way and you will realize your path has lots of safe options to avoid bad weather. If you don't already have it, Bonnie Dahl's book "Superior Way" is an indispensable guide to cruising Lake Superior.

https://www.lakesuperiormagazine.com/product-page/bonnie-dahl-s-superior-way-1

Ted

We plan to start our modified Loop from around Duluth across Lake Superior so we won't miss Superior, but boy all the crusing guides and DNR advisories make it sound like instant death.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan have some of the highest numbers of registered vessels in the nation per capita (MN first, WI second). Almost none of them are used on Lake Superior or any other large body of water. They're used in the tens of thousands of small lakes and ponds that are everywhere, and every one of those operators thinks that they know how to run a boat. In reality, many of them wouldn't know a channel marker from a mooring buoy.

I think the DNR goes intentionally overboard to put some fear into some of these folks. What they don't know literally can kill them.

That said, much of the summer on Superior is moderate and lovely. It is true that safe ports are very distant in most areas of the lake, so proper precautions and planning must be seriously adhered to, and your plans must be verified against actual conditions at least once or twice a day. Do this, and you'll have some truly memorable experiences. As they say: "No Salt, No Sharks, No Problems!"

BD

PS - Know that quite a number of the ports on Superior do NOT sell diesel, only gasoline. No problem for slow travel, but it can be for faster boats with smaller tanks.

Another great resource is the Great Lakes Cruising Club. They have harbor reports for over 1100 anchorages and ports for all Great Lakes and connecting tributaries including Trent Severen Waterway. The reports list how far to/from the next ports, what services are available in each place, best place to anchor if anchoring is possible, phone numbers, etc.

I believe that it is about $130 for a yearly membership, but once a member all of the resources are there for free. You can take and save the Harbor Reports to Word, then convert to PDF and have them on a tablet or computer for 'off-line' access.

https://www.glcclub.com/

I'm heading east out the St Lawrence from Toronto in the early spring then cruising the Atlantic provinces, Halifax in the fall. Would love to go north around Newfoundland, but that might be too ambitious.

I have fished NE Canyons out to 200 miles and "cruised" Block Island, Newport, Nantucket, Marthas Vineyard, Montauk, Greenport, Boston, Gloucester for the last 19 years.

In 2019 I purchased my "new" 1976 Hatteras 58 LRC with plans to eventually be a liveaboard. My plans got escalated a few weeks ago due to the end of a long personal relationship.

In June 2021 I'll be sailing with a friend of mine on his 42 foot Beneteau from Mystic, CT to Bermuda. Expect to spend 4-6 weeks there.

Then I will return to Mystic and ready Miss Maggie for some more serious cruising. In that time I will be around BI, Mystic, Newport, etc.... all the regular summertime spots.

Plans are to spend September 2021 along the Maine coast. No definite plans or destinations on the itinerary yet; hope some folks will chime in with some recommendations. Then return to Mystic for haul out and prepare my winter trip down the AICW. in 2019 I traveled up the AICW from Daytona to Mystic CT after purchasing Miss Maggie (~1700 miles in 17 days). However, it was more of a "delivery" type schedule than true cruising. We did about 100 miles/day average. That translates into 10+ hour days and was not relaxed. This time going south, I want to take my time and stay a while in those places I really take a liking to.

Expect to leave Mystic in mid-to-late October. Plan is to be somewhere in Florida by the New Year 2022. Will start putting more solid plans together for bopping around Florida in Spring 2022.

I'm still working but have a very flexible schedule and can work from the boat 90% of the time. Will do that for about another 3-4 years. Hope to make it to the Bahamas in spring 2022 as well.

Very possible I will be running boat solo for some of the shorter trips. Have to do some additional outfitting to make that task easier with a 50 ton 63' LOA vessel.

COVID is not going to keep me at the dock or moving forward with my plans.

Hope to see some of the fine folks on this forum along my way.

Merry Christmas and Happy 2021!

Last edited:
Sounds like some very good plans. We are in CT and mostly cruise the Sound. We love Noank Shipyard, very close to you. Maybe see you around some day. Good luck with your upcoming adventures. I use to sail and always wanted to do a Bermuda trip but never got there. Good luck and enjoy!

Sounds like some very good plans. We are in CT and mostly cruise the Sound. We love Noank Shipyard, very close to you. Maybe see you around some day. Good luck with your upcoming adventures. I use to sail and always wanted to do a Bermuda trip but never got there. Good luck and enjoy!

Next time you come to NSY, dinghy up the river to Mystic. I'm at Mystic River Marina and on the very end of F Dock which is a "T". It's hard to miss Miss Maggie.

Just PM'd you my personal contact info.

Stop in for an afternoon cocktail and some conversation!:thumb::dance:

Last edited:
Next time you come to NSY, dinghy up the river to Mystic. I'm at Mystic River Marina and on the very end of F Dock which is a "T". It's hard to miss Miss Maggie.

Just PM'd you my personal contact info.

Stop in for an afternoon cocktail and some conversation!:thumb::dance:

Never pass up an afternoon cocktail, thanks!

Try and get down to Long and rent a car for a day or two.

Crossing Into The Tropics And Long Island | AtAnchor.com

Yes , Long Island is very special. Been to Thompson Bay 3 times, once for the Regatta and twice coming and going to the Jementos. Best LI trip by far was being weathered in for 5 days at the marina in Clarence Town (sailboat), rented a car for 2 days , got to know a few locals, AWESOME.

Trying to go to the Bahamas before the year is out. I have 10 days off scheduled starting 12/30 and the boat is already in Florida.
e.

10 days? Have you ever been across the Gulf Stream? You could easily spend a week waiting for favorable weather to make the crossing, each way. At best you will get across and have to start watching for a chance to get back. That patch of water is not a place to fool around with.

10 days? Have you ever been across the Gulf Stream? You could easily spend a week waiting for favorable weather to make the crossing, each way. At best you will get across and have to start watching for a chance to get back. That patch of water is not a place to fool around with.

Or you could do like the 29' Cabo with 20 aboard just did, set out from Bimini with 7' seas at 7 seconds to my best calculation. They were last seen on Monday.

However, in fairness, most days are smooth crossing. Just this isn't the best time of the year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom