Slow Hand 2023 To Lake Superior and back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stopping in St Augustine?

It would be great to see you, but I'm going to be short of St Augustine tonight. Hoping to head outside early tomorrow and make Brunswick. Would like to shave off a couple of days if the weather cooperates.

Maybe we can catch up on my way South.

Ted

Coming out of "Haul Over Canal " near Titusville at 7am. A beautiful morning to fish.

20230421_071137.jpg

Ted

You can think of me when you pass through Brockport NY on the Erie canal. Two lift bridges. Main Street and Park Avenue. 'Twas my home town, but I haven't been there since about 1977.

A little further along, you will come to Pittsford NY where I worked on a canal dredge (night shift) for a couple of summers during high school. The canal provided no end of fascination for us kids growing up in Brockport. Every time the main street lift bridge bell would ring, we would get on our bicycles and pedal as fast as we could to see what was passing through. Still quite a number of commercial barge tows in those days. We were especially fascinated with the tugboat pilot houses that "dipped" when necessary. Ironically (for me, at least) is that Brockport is within the township of SWEDEN, NY.

I can't think of much to recommend for you to do if you overnight in Brockport. There are a couple of museums with local history. The town's pride and joy, as well as the seat of the Western Monroe County Historical Society, is the Morgan Manning house. Probably all of a 10 minute walk from the tie-up wall. Could be worth a visit!
https://www.morganmanninghouse.org/

Quite a few tap rooms (given that it's a university town). The tie up wall between the two lift bridges is in a nice park-like setting. Restaurants very near by. It used to be free...but I have no idea about today.

Attachments

• Brockport_bridgeMainSt_jm09.jpg
    Brockport_bridgeMainSt_jm09.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 29
  • mm.jpg
    mm.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 25
It would be great to see you, but I'm going to be short of St Augustine tonight. Hoping to head outside early tomorrow and make Brunswick. Would like to shave off a couple of days if the weather cooperates.

Maybe we can catch up on my way South.

Ted

Sounds good. I'm on the Tug until next Wednesday night. I figured you'd be past SA before I got home. Safe travels

Deleted my stupid comment. Need to read more carefully before posting!

Long day (27 hours) cruising from Matanzas inlet, FL to Beaufort, SC. Forecast wasn't as advertised, gusting 25 to 30 out of the North early this morning. Nice sunrise entering Port Royal Sound this morning.

20230423_063237.jpg

Need to take a nap and change the oil.

Ted

Ted have a great trip as I am sure you will. Watfa says if you need a cook let her know. Enjoy pal.

I've been from St. Catherine's Ontario to Green Cove Springs Florida. Among my very favorite stops are Brunswick GA for the spectacular sunsets not seen anywhere else, and Isle of Hope outside of Savannah. Beufort SC, and Charleston NC are also nice. The rest of the trip was fairly uninteresting to me until the beautiful Hudson Valley of New York, which is my home area.

The Hudson Valley no doubt explains my liking of the ICW. To me, it seems that folks are in too much of a rush and miss it.

I did it in a 46' trawler with a 5' draft, btw. No problems.

Stop in Lake St. Clair

Ok, so I'm waiting on the Ortona lock. There's been lightning, and they won't resume operations until 30 minutes after the last lightning.

So here's my projected route:

Cross the Okeechobee waterway to Stuart, FL.
AICW (Atlantic Intra Coastal Waterway) to Norfolk, VA.
Up Chesapeake Bay.
Through the C&D canal.
Down Delaware Bay.
Atlantic Ocean to Barnegat inlet (visit friends).
Manasquan inlet to Atlantic Ocean to New York city.
Hudson River to Waterford, NY (Erie Canal start point).
Erie Canal to Tonawanda, NY (Erie Canal & Niagara river).
Niagara River to Lake Erie.
South shore of Lake Erie toward Cleveland, OH.
Up the Detroit river.
Across Lake St Clair.
Up the St Clair river to Lake Huron.
Up Lake Huron to near the Mackinaw Bridge.
Up the St Marys river to Sault Ste Marie.
Lock into Lake Superior.

6 to 8 weeks later, leave Lake Superior and follow the above back to Fort Myers.

Ted

If you need an overnight marina when you hit Lake St. Clair, let me know and I'll get you in the GPYC.

Ted if Watfa can’t make it I can send the South American/ Canadian bombshell. Let me know. ?

Enjoy your trip! Looking forward to following along. Someday when we tire of cruising in our area we would like to make the trip you are taking.

Cheers,
Bob

Ted, wow - you're moving right along! I'm behind you, but will never catch up. I'll still be heading north when you're coming back.

We may be passing you Ted. Planning the reverse trip: Lake Ontario - Trent Severn- Georgian Bay- Lake Huron - Lake Erie - Erie Canal and back home to Gananoque.
Heads up on the fixed low bridge on the Erie Canal _ Beyond Three Rivers Junction and west to the Niagara River, the least vertical clearances are found at Bridge E-123 with a clearance of 15 feet 7.44 inches at normal pool level and at Guard Lock – West with a clearance of 14 feet 8.4 inches at maximum pool level.
Barrie

Shady Harbor on the Hudson just short of Albany NY is a great stop. Food is worth hanging fenders and throwing dock lines.

I've been from St. Catherine's Ontario to Green Cove Springs Florida. Among my very favorite stops are Brunswick GA for the spectacular sunsets not seen anywhere else, and Isle of Hope outside of Savannah. Beufort SC, and Charleston NC are also nice. The rest of the trip was fairly uninteresting to me until the beautiful Hudson Valley of New York, which is my home area.

The Hudson Valley no doubt explains my liking of the ICW. To me, it seems that folks are in too much of a rush and miss it.

I did it in a 46' trawler with a 5' draft, btw. No problems.

As with any trip, getting off the beaten path is where many of the treasures are. Normally I don't go offshore much, but needed to make up for a late departure and refill the bad weather days bank.

For me, probably the most spectacular sunsets are found anchoring out away from the cities, little light and noise pollution.

Ted

If you need an overnight marina when you hit Lake St. Clair, let me know and I'll get you in the GPYC.

:facepalm:

I'm leaving the boat in Port Huron for a couple of weeks to go spend some time with the wife. It's all good, have a great rate with people I've stayed with before.

Ted

We may be passing you Ted. Planning the reverse trip: Lake Ontario - Trent Severn- Georgian Bay- Lake Huron - Lake Erie - Erie Canal and back home to Gananoque.
Heads up on the fixed low bridge on the Erie Canal _ Beyond Three Rivers Junction and west to the Niagara River, the least vertical clearances are found at Bridge E-123 with a clearance of 15 feet 7.44 inches at normal pool level and at Guard Lock – West with a clearance of 14 feet 8.4 inches at maximum pool level.
Barrie

Appreciate the helpful information, but Slow Hand and I have been across the Erie Canal 3 times. The boat can clear 14' 9", depending on fuel and water.

Ted

Shady Harbor on the Hudson just short of Albany NY is a great stop. Food is worth hanging fenders and throwing dock lines.

So I had to search where Shady Harbor is. Turns out it's about a mile and a half from where I anchor (other side of Houghtaling Island). Looked at the website for the Boathouse Grille. Not sure they let boat people (like me) in their dining room.

Ted

So this is Elliott's Cut. It's only a third of a mile long and fairly narrow at low tide. It just West of Charleston, SC on the AICW. The problem is that the tidal currents rip through there.

So today I entered the cut from the West at 6.7 knots and was spit out the East end at 10.4 knots! 3.7 knots of current! Make sure to check for harbor tugs pushing pile driving barges. Worse is going against the current at low tide. Did that last fall; I can walk faster.

Thankfully, nobody was coming the other way when I went through today.

20230424_150122.jpg

Screenshot_20230424_202656_Aqua Map Marine.jpg

Ted

Ted wrote,
Not the nicest sunrise, but good to be back on the boat.

Any sunrise on board is excellent! Following you from very far away.

So I had to search where Shady Harbor is. Turns out it's about a mile and a half from where I anchor (other side of Houghtaling Island). Looked at the website for the Boathouse Grille. Not sure they let boat people (like me) in their dining room.

Ted
Heck Ted, they even let us in there. I know some people plan their trips around the Shady Harbor pig roast to make sure they don't miss it on their way through.

I know you're experienced and self sufficient, if you need any logistical support before hitting the canals I'd be happy to help. My closest point on your trip would be Troy/Waterford NY.

Cruising across the Alligator river Pungo river canal. One mile down, 25 to go. Try not to fall asleep.

20230428_145507.jpg

Screenshot_20230428_145143_Aqua Map Marine.jpg

Ted

It's the journey. Well said, Ted. That you've done it 8 times speaks volumes. Hope I will be as fortunate. If Sandusky or Put In Bay is in your plans for western Lake Erie, I'd love to buy you a beer.

It's the journey. Well said, Ted. That you've done it 8 times speaks volumes. Hope I will be as fortunate. If Sandusky or Put In Bay is in your plans for western Lake Erie, I'd love to buy you a beer.

Probably not going to have time going North, but I will likely stop at Put in Bay on the way south. It always good for the people watching.

Ted

I know you're experienced and self sufficient, if you need any logistical support before hitting the canals I'd be happy to help. My closest point on your trip would be Troy/Waterford NY.

Appreciate the offer! Saw Vermont was your home. Do you boat on lake Champlain? May be going back again next summer.

Ted

When you get up to this area, have a look at anchoring in Galesville (West River) or the Rhode River... and we'll have a go at a visit by dinghy.

-Chris

Ranger, I'll probably be in that area in the next few weeks. Looks like a lot of nice anchorages.

Ted,
Love your travels, will follow!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom