Galley plaque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pmcsurf1

Vessel Name
Agape
Vessel Make
Californian 45
Just moved on to our new to us 1988 Californian MY. We bought "Priorities" in Alabama. After a name change to "Agape" we'll be moving from Florence AL down to St Mark's river in FL over the next month and a half. I'll be here with lots of questions. Here's my first.
Just found this under galley sink.
Paul 20231025_070811.jpg

I do not think that is the serial number for the boat. That should near the starboard stern rail and somewhere in the bilge. Boat serial number is much longer.

That is a serial number for I don't know what.

It's a 1988. I'm guessing the 11 88 is the month of the build don't know what FA stands for. Maybe fabrication?

I understand Winnebago rvs put a plaque inside one of their cabinets.

I do not think that is the serial number for the boat. That should near the starboard stern rail and somewhere in the bilge. Boat serial number is much longer.

That is a serial number for I don't know what.

I believe you are describing the HIN number and the serial number is embedded in the HIN. Well.... not necessarily easy to figure out.... but the number of the hull produced and the date the keel was laid (hull build start) is in there along with model year.

Attachments

• vin-decoder-data-new.png
    vin-decoder-data-new.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
What size is it?
I see a California 48 mentioned in the builders section that is a JA model...is that you/ yours?
thinking the FA is a different model and yes probably mfg date 1188.
What is the VIN?
It should contain / reflect the above + some additional info.

Last edited:
What do the number and letter things mean.

Might be manufacture's model number and hull number within that model series.

Ours does that; HIN is a sequential "factory" hull number (and they made several different boats there at the same time)... so the HIN is separate from specific model/hull number...

-Chris

Try reaching out to FlyWright. He seems to have a pretty good handle on Californian's hull numbers. He may know what the numbers on your galley plaque mean.

Our 1988 Californian 48 CPMY has a plaque in the same location. JB1188

Sent you a PM about your trip along the north Gulf Coast.

Just moved on to our new to us 1988 Californian MY. We bought "Priorities" in Alabama. After a name change to "Agape" we'll be moving from Florence AL down to St Mark's river in FL over the next month and a half. I'll be here with lots of questions. Here's my first.
Just found this under galley sink.
Paul View attachment 143048

Also, please feel free to PM me with questions. I have ripped out lots of wires, tracked down traces and runs, scratched my head in awe as to why in the world they did this, etc. One nice thing we found this fall when replacing the cutlass bearings, the OD of the forward bearings are smaller than the aft. Thus, you can slip them out without taking the shaft off.

We are now holding up in Maryland until the end of November. Then off to FL in Dec and over to Bahamas Jan - ????

Back
Top Bottom