Californian 34’ Open Ocean Handling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Grivetto

I’m looking at a 34’ LRC, and haven’t seen anybody post on how they handle offshore. I’m looking for a family boat and a boat that I can take out to the Channel Islands and offshore waters.

Anybody with offshore experience in moderate conditions on their 34’ please chime in.

Thank you!

offshore

No problems with my 34' LRC

Solid boat/build - no complaints

pic is about 40 miles offshore - enjoying the ride off the bow
pics of open water never look the same

Attachments

• DSCN1024.jpg
    DSCN1024.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 26
Like any 34’ boat going to the islands you will have to pick the weather.

The entire southern California coast is fairly well protected from the predominant NW seas. I think it's around 150nms from San Diego to Santa Cruz/Santa Rosa islands. Weather preidction has greatly improved - in years past, Santa Ana winds were not well predicted. They now are.

You're quite a bit closer to Catalina (75nms??). Get your feet wet with that destination and you'll have a feel for the conditions.

Bottom line is a Californian 34 is a fine boat for that area. But as Comodave says, weather rules. Frankly, the conditions that would keep you in port would also keep a much large boat in port.

There are some incredibly large pods of porpoises out there - 100s (if not over 1000). My wife and I saw a Blue Whale off San Miguel which I'm told are fairly rare in those waters. Channel Islands are one of the best kept secrets of California.

Peter

EDIT - the boat design is fine for that cruise. Outstanding questions are (1) is it in good condition and readt? And (2) do you have base knowledge to make the trip?

Last edited:
We were going to Catalina one time and the porpoises were everywhere, looked like cruise missiles. Beautiful.

Such wonderful boats. My dad had one when I was young in SE Alaska. We didn’t go outside with it much, but it certainly handled the chops in Icy Strait and Lynn Canal well enough. She’s still afloat and being run as a fishing charter out of Hoonah these days. I practically cried when I ran into her up there a few summers ago. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom