extra white space between paragraphs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcs

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Weston Merrit
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42
I may be doing something wrong, but I find the forum keeps inserting extra white space between lines.

This is how I enter it.

One paragraph and then another.

But if I just post it then it adds extra lines between paragraphs. If I preview it then edit it to remove them then post it avoids them. Ideas?

Attachments

• Trawler_Forum_-_Post_New_Thread.jpg
    Trawler_Forum_-_Post_New_Thread.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 14
I've been dealing with this issue for quite a while as well. Only seems to occur when using Firefox, not in other browsers.

I've been dealing with this issue for quite a while as well. Only seems to occur when using Firefox, not in other browsers.

I do indeed use Firefox, interesting.

Greetings,
Mr. m. Yep Firefox. I post then if necessary, immediately use the edit option (only available for a limited time-3 to 4 hours, perhaps?) to go back and delete the extra spaces.

Greetings,
Mr. m. Yep Firefox. I post then if necessary, immediately use the edit option (only available for a limited time-3 to 4 hours, perhaps?) to go back and delete the extra spaces.

I've found that going into the advanced editor and hitting "preview" causes the formatting glitch, so that gives an opportunity to fix it before actually submitting the post.

EDIT: Taking the editor out of rich text mode with the A/A button at the top right corner seems to avoid the issue

Rob . . . . A/A button?!?

I have the same issue as others. I am also using FireFox, and have to preview my posts, then edit to remove all the extra lines as well . . . . Someone should report this to a moderator! . . . .Oh, wait . . . . never mind:facepalm:

EDIT: Taking the editor out of rich text mode with the A/A button at the top right corner seems to avoid the issue

Rob . . . . A/A button?!?

I have the same issue as others. I am also using FireFox, and have to preview my posts, then edit to remove all the extra lines as well . . . . Someone should report this to a moderator! . . . .Oh, wait . . . . never mind:facepalm:

The button shown at the top right in the attached screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-24 104112.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-24 104112.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 14
I'm not going to spend the time to work around this, annoying as it is to see my posts with double lines between paragraphs. TF (and I think sister site CF) are the only forums that have this issue, so I think it's up to TF to fix it. In the mean time, posts will look funny.

I'm not going to spend the time to work around this, annoying as it is to see my posts with double lines between paragraphs. TF (and I think sister site CF) are the only forums that have this issue, so I think it's up to TF to fix it. In the mean time, posts will look funny.

I haven't personally experienced it on other sites, but I've seen mention of the issue on other forums. I think it's an issue in any forum that uses a similarly ancient version of vBulletin.

This issue is specific to Firefox.

I can reproduce this behavior in Firefox creating new threads, quick posts, quotes, etc.

I cannot reproduce this issue with Google chrome testing with the same criteria.

This seems web browser specific and not VBullitin specific.

I think it's the combination of the two, and of course each thinks the other should fix it.

I have to politely disagree. I tested a variety of web browsers. Here are my results:

===================
Web Browses which are NOT doubling carriage returns

Google Chrome
Microsoft Edge
Safari
Opera

Web Browses which ARE doubling carriage returns

Mozilla Firefox
===================

I assure you Google is not bending to the immovable will of Social Knowledge's forums.

I have to politely disagree. I tested a variety of web browsers. Here are my results:

===================
Web Browses which are NOT doubling carriage returns

Google Chrome
Microsoft Edge
Safari
Opera

Web Browses which ARE doubling carriage returns

Mozilla Firefox
===================

I assure you Google is not bending to the immovable will of Social Knowledge's forums.

I don't disagree with that. However I use Firefox with countless other forums, and don't have the double line problem. I only have it on FT (and I think CF, but I don't post there too much). So yes, FF is doing something different. But only TF and CF care and end up with double line spacing.

I don't disagree with that. However I use Firefox with countless other forums, and don't have the double line problem. I only have it on FT (and I think CF, but I don't post there too much). So yes, FF is doing something different. But only TF and CF care and end up with double line spacing.

Exactly. It's some behavioral quirk with Firefox that isn't handled gracefully by some versions of vBulletin.

The button shown at the top right in the attached screenshot.

Thanks for that Rob.
I'm trying it right now.
We'll see how it goes!

Edit: changing out of Rich Text using the A/A button appeared to correct the problem! (note, the last break was intentionally double spaced!)

This issue is specific to Firefox.

I can reproduce this behavior in Firefox creating new threads, quick posts, quotes, etc.

I cannot reproduce this issue with Google chrome testing with the same criteria.

Never happens to me using the Mac Safari browser, either. ✅?

Back
Top Bottom