EPIRB search

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cargile

Vessel Name
Quasimodo
Vessel Make
Cargile Cutter
Relatively new here. Logged in. I went to the Classified (not Boats) forum to look for an EPIRB. Clicked "Search this forum". Entered "EPIRB" Selected "Search entire post". Clicked "Search". Results came back as nothing. I find that hard to believe. What am I missing? Thanks.

Are you trying to buy a used EPIRB and disappointed no one is selling one? I’m guessing most owners sell them with the boat and deal with transferring the MMSI then. Or they take it with them to their next boat. And, get a new battery when it expires and keep it. Unless it’s a much older obsolete model there’s no real reason I can see to get rid of one.

Are you trying to buy a used EPIRB and disappointed no one is selling one? I’m guessing most owners sell them with the boat and deal with transferring the MMSI then. Or they take it with them to their next boat. And, get a new battery when it expires and keep it. Unless it’s a much older obsolete model there’s no real reason I can see to get rid of one.

:iagree:

Also, the search facility on this board (and most boards) isn't very good. Often you are better off letting Google do the work for you. The syntax is:

<EPIRB site:trawlerforum.com>

Which returns 651 results.

or

<EPIRB site:trawlerforum.com/forums/s68>

which searches only the no-boat classified forum. That returns zero results, but if I change the term to 'anchor' I get 7 results. So I don't think any EPIRBS have been listed there.

The cost of replacing a battery can come real close to the price a a new Epirb.

Relatively new here. Logged in. I went to the Classified (not Boats) forum to look for an EPIRB. Clicked "Search this forum". Entered "EPIRB" Selected "Search entire post". Clicked "Search". Results came back as nothing. I find that hard to believe. What am I missing? Thanks.

I guess I'm not sure why you are surprised. Not everything is for sale by someone at all times. Do you find used EPIRBs widely available elsewhere?

The cost of replacing a battery can come real close to the price a a new Epirb.

There are reputable aftermarket companies that sell replacement battery packs for most popular EPIRBs. Replaced one this spring for around $100.

Ted

I don't recall ever having seen a used Epirb for sale. Once it gets installed it lives on the boat and follows the boat. Once it stops working it gets replaced. It's kind of like a fire extinguisher or smoke detector.

Back
Top Bottom