“new posts” doesn’t work correctly via mobile browser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I reported this some time back but that thread has been closed. The “New Posts” button behaves differently when clicked from a laptop browser vs a mobile browser, and the mobile operation is really pretty annoying.

In a PC browser (safari or Firefox on macOS in my case) the New Posts button brings up “unread” posts. This is very useful for picking up where you last left off. If you click the little icon next to the thread topic in the summary list, it takes you to the first unread post in that thread. Very useful.

However on a mobile browser (safari on iOS in my case) the New Posts button brings up “most recent” threads, I.e. threads that have most recently been updated, even if I have already read them. And then I click on the little icon next to the title, it takes me to the last post in the thread, not the first unread post. So I need to scroll back and try to figure out what is new and what I’ve read before. Not at all useful, and actually makes using the site difficult.

I know the web site detects mobile browsers and behaves differently, but this is clearly a bug. It’s probably a different SQL query being used in the mobile version to bring up most recent posts rather than unread posts.

The only time that happens for me is if I’m not signed into the site. I’m using Safari on iOS as well as Firefox on a PC and they both act the same as long as I didn’t get signed out. I know you wouldn’t overlook that, so there must be some glitch that doesn’t always present itself.

I think you are on to something because the returned posts are “newest on the site” vs “newest for me”. Yet I am logged in enough to post this reply, and when I do ask for new posts, the thread topics are bold or regular font depending on whether I have read the most recent post. So it’s at least partially working, but not fully?

I reported this some time back but that thread has been closed. The “New Posts” button behaves differently when clicked from a laptop browser vs a mobile browser, and the mobile operation is really pretty annoying.

In a PC browser (safari or Firefox on macOS in my case) the New Posts button brings up “unread” posts. This is very useful for picking up where you last left off. If you click the little icon next to the thread topic in the summary list, it takes you to the first unread post in that thread. Very useful.

However on a mobile browser (safari on iOS in my case) the New Posts button brings up “most recent” threads, I.e. threads that have most recently been updated, even if I have already read them. And then I click on the little icon next to the title, it takes me to the last post in the thread, not the first unread post. So I need to scroll back and try to figure out what is new and what I’ve read before. Not at all useful, and actually makes using the site difficult.

I know the web site detects mobile browsers and behaves differently, but this is clearly a bug. It’s probably a different SQL query being used in the mobile version to bring up most recent posts rather than unread posts.

This is exactly my experience on my Android phone where I read 80% of the time. It's how I missed your (TTs) excellent response to the question I posed on my Magnum inverter clipping momentarily - I leap-frogged past your post until someone else posted that maybe I missed your input.

I have no idea what problem the TF/CF gods were trying to solve, but in my opinion, they took a sizeable step backwards. Worse, they show no signs of recognition or solution.

As an ex-management consultant, I have to wonder what metrics they use to track their performance and how the changes have affected those metrics.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom