refrigeration replacement Grand Banks Classic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueSkies46

Vessel Name
Blue Skies
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 46 Classic
Hello everyone, I am wondering if anyone has replaced there Refrigeration boxes with New updated Refrigerators. We have the cold plate models and the power consumption is real high and looking for a more economical refrigeration

Hello everyone, I am wondering if anyone has replaced there Refrigeration boxes with New updated Refrigerators. We have the cold plate models and the power consumption is real high and looking for a more economical refrigeration

You should be able to find some threads here on reefer conversion. We replaced ours on a GB 36 with Vitrifrigo Sea Drawers, which can be had in any combination of freezer or refrigerator. It required a small amount of wood butchery and really improved the looks of the galley area.

Also there's a blog called Grand Banks Choices which has an extensive discussion of that same conversion, including details on the removal of the original Grand Banks refrigerator box.

Thanks for the kind words.

There is actually two conversions on my blog. The first is converting my 120vAC Grunert system to a 12vDC Danfoss system.

The drawers are beautiful, but several friends that have installed them have had quality control issues.

Either way it is a dramatic improvement. My boat is all DC now except for the air conditioning, water heater, and battery charger.

Grunet replaceneblnt

I plan to convert the old system over to 3 12 volt compressors (I have two refrigerators and one freezer) so I can run them on battery and hopefully be more efficient. I'll report back as I do it this winter.

Take a look at the isotherm magnum water cooled units. Plate in the fridge, compressor anywhere as its water cooled. Our water source is our water tanks and the water is returned back to the tank. No pump is needed as it is part of the compressor unit. Simple to install.
Our norcold quit in fort pierce, and I had the unit installed in a day. It will freeze the contents if set on too cold a setting. Runs on 12 volt only with not much power drain.

Years back we had a GB 42 with a single 120 v. Grunert compressor serving 2 boxes with holding plates, one fridge and one freezer. Shore power or generator required to run. Performance was terrible and a town the size of Nanaimo would go dim from the compressor start up load. Water cooled so the sound of water splashing overboard to listen to. Compressor was very noisy. Replaced it with two 12 volt Waeco CoolMatic compressor units, flat evaporator plate folded around the fridge box and a thicker evap unit with an integral fan in the freezer. Lots more room in both boxes, silent and air cooled, performance was SPECTACULAR and power consumption was less than 10% of the holding plate setup. Hands down the best boating improvement project we ever did. Nowadays there are lots of brand choices to do the same thing. Good luck and you will be happy!
Regards,
Scott

Take a look at the isotherm magnum water cooled units. Plate in the fridge, compressor anywhere as its water cooled. Our water source is our water tanks and the water is returned back to the tank. No pump is needed as it is part of the compressor unit. Simple to install.
Our norcold quit in fort pierce, and I had the unit installed in a day. It will freeze the contents if set on too cold a setting. Runs on 12 volt only with not much power drain.

Don’t know about these units but we put an Isotherm unit in our boat last year and absolutely love it.

Thanks you all for this feedback / experience. I think for my setup I am planning on going with air cooled (mostly because of location / install logistics). This is happening this winter, so I will report back. I really appreciate all the info.

(And Scott - I have most of the same issues with my air-cooled 3-box Grunert setup. ... Plus I am based in Vancouver so hello from across the water - assuming you are in Nanaimo).

All the best -

Whatever you do if you use an air cooled system make sure you have a minimum of 2 vents into the compartment, 1 high to let the heat out and 1 low to bring in cool air. Then add a fan to help the hot air up and out of the compartment. I use a 50 mAmp fan. The current draw is minimal and well offset by the less run time of the compressor. And the refer may actually cool. I got this fan on Amazon. It is actually a computer fan.

Noctua NF-F12 PWM, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (120mm, Brown), compatible with Desktop

We ditched our Grunert unit when it sucked in the cold plate fluid and died. Replaced it with a SeaFrost 12v cold plate. First mate (wife) carried the compressor under one arm and the new cold plate under the other to the boat. Easy peasy install (lines are pre-chaged) and it works great. Sips electrons like a gehko nursing a dew drop.

Comodave's suggestions are relevant for a self-contained unit in a cabinet, but I believe that we are talking about a compressor in ? the engine room servicing evaporators in the existing teak GB boxes, so not applicable in this case. GB stuck with holding plates long after technology had moved on. Sort of like putting a Model T engine in a Mustang!
Regards,
Scott

We just bought a GB 49 Classic a few months ago and it had been converted to 12v for all three units (Freezer in aft, double fridge in galley, and another fridge in the mid-cabin). All units work great, are quiet and pretty energy efficient. The replacement units were made by Nova Kool. The insulated boxes and doors are unchanged.

I'm finally getting around to changing out the Grunert refer system. My friges are typical GB over, under and the separate top loading freezer. I'm looking at the Isotherm 2013 unit with the large plate for the frig.
Has anyone cut holes between the upper and lower frig boxes and used just one cold plate in the upper box? I think they call it a spill over set up.

I do not. I did size my refer with capacity to freeze it.
My top loading can get so cold it freezes shut. Have silicone the gasket.

Installed Isotherm two drawer units. Very pleased with the performance.

Back
Top Bottom