GB 36 Generator upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coopersboat

Vessel Name
Grande Finale
Good Day,
GB36 classic 7.6-2cy Onan 5000 hrs needs to be upgraded. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've looked at the Panda Fisher AC mini DP 9 KW and like the 54 db spec. Thanks
Captain Scott

GB 36 single. We have a Northern light. W753.2 8KW. Came with the boat. It is a great unit. Not cheap but worth it. Is very quiet even after I removed the sound shield. Runs like a good watch. Smooth as silk.

Always go with a three cylinder like the Northern Lights if you can. Definitely smoother, doubt if it is any quieter.

Are you sure you need 7-8 kW? Most boats of that size have a 5 kW.

David

Always go with a three cylinder like the Northern Lights if you can. Definitely smoother, doubt if it is any quieter.

Are you sure you need 7-8 kW? Most boats of that size have a 5 kW.

David[/

I would think it is overkill also. Based on what I am reading it is 8kw at 60hz.

Do some searching about Fischer panda and problems people have had with them. I have never owned one, but my takeaway from reading about people who have them is that they are pretty much a disaster. I would stay away.

The Fisher Panda is a 3600 rpm generator vs 1800 rpm’s that the Northern Lights run at for the same voltage and frequency. The FP won’t wear out twice as fast but there are some compromises in the reliability.

We’ve had 2 Northern Lights generators so I’m a little bias but the service points, availability of parts and factory support is hard to beat.

I would recommend Northern Lights too. I would seriously look at the sizing and not go too big since then you will be under loading it most of the time.

We have a 5.5 kw Northern Lights.
Perfect for the boat.

I converted everything to DC and run a small inverter for appliances.

Only thing on genset now is battery charger and AC. Could easily get by with 4 kw.

I will follow along, due to my 34’ getting its first generator soon. I purchased a Koehler 7k. I went with this size due to (two) soon to be installed a/c heat pumps to be added, and desired run of generator to be at 50%load. This will allow unit to sip the fuel, but also when summer demands of both units going, then microwave gets used, unit can handle above average load for small percentage no problem please post pictures!

Generator Upgrade

I have a 10 KW on my 36. Overkill. I believe the salesman had a larger unit at a bargain price. I often run all the burners on my range and AC just to get a load on it. If you intend on making that big of an investment, My recommendation is to seriously consider a Victron Invertor system with Lithium Phosphate batteries and solar panels. This was recommended to me by a Chief Engineer on an Aircraft Carrier that had personal experience with the system. on a sailboat running A/C, Refrigeration etc all at the same time with no issues. Also huge drop in weight. Good Luck,
George

Depends on air conditioner needs. Generally between 5-8 KW. 1800 rpm and 3 cylinders is a normal installation. Take a look at Phasor gens. Kubota diesels and brushless generator.

Agree that 10KW is overkill. Our last boat had a 9KW and so does our current boat and they are also overkill. A 6 KW would have been nicer.

1994 GB Classic - #1062

Westerbeke 5kw. Nothing ever an issue and the boat does not need any more. Quiet, efficient, awesom.

Another vote for 5kw NL. Had mine for 20 years, 2000 hours. Great product.

Back
Top Bottom