Experience with NIAD stabilizers on a GB42C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A mast has nothing to do with flopper stoppers.
They extend from 7 to 10 foot poles that are vertical when not in use and then lowered horizontally.
They are incredibly effective
On can be hung from a dinghy davit or two can be hung off of deck cleats but the best is when they are 7-10 feet away from the hull..

A mast has nothing to do with flopper stoppers.
They extend from 7 to 10 foot poles that are vertical when not in use and then lowered horizontally.
They are incredibly effective
On can be hung from a dinghy davit or two can be hung off of deck cleats but the best is when they are 7-10 feet away from the hull..

I'm fortunate to have two davit cranes on the stbd side so I suspend one flopper on each. I just bought two more floppers from Peter (Weebles) so I expect to suspend them just off of cleats on the port side. Having the poles would be nice but right now my money is on maintenance. Aftercoolers, coolant bundles, wiring failures needing to run new wires, and now the water maker just blew a fuse. I'm not sure a new fuse will be the fix or is there an underlying issue.

I made the mistake of selling the boat and then buying a power catamaran in the Adriatic. I sure miss my Ocean Alexander and the stabilizers.

Somewhat OT but as someone who is seriously considering upgrading to a catamaran (from an unstabilized trawler) I'm very interested to understand what you didn't like about the Power Cat?

Perhaps the solution is on this website. Look at the all-in-one., works also at anchor.

https://dmsholland.com/for-who/yacht-owners[/URL]

Good luck,

Paul

This system is indeed a bit like electric fins, powered by an electrical motor instead of by hydraulics or pneumatic. It works fine and is capable of keeping the boat steady, that is what is the important part.

Anyone using the Humphrey Electric Stabilizers ?

When I did my research they did not have zero speed stabilizers, but I heard rumours that they now also have entered that market segment. The fins themselves are not the problem, it is the software that has to make it possible. Not all companies have that under control at the moment.

Here is another brand of gyro's, https://www.quickitaly.com/en/products/anti-roll-gyro-stabilizers/mc2-xseries-dc/. Have no experience with them but they are interesting in that the maintenance requirements seem to lower than other brands.

The problem with gyros will always remain the same. They work best at high rpm and as heavy as it can be for your boat. A small, lightweight, gyro is not going to do anything for your boat and spinning at low rpm isn't going to do anything either.
And as a result of that it means that a gyro needs to be heavy and spin at high rpm, which means use a lot of electricity. Every time the gyro gets distorted it needs energy (read: electricity) to remain in plane.
I.o.w. no matter how companies want to turn and twist it, they will never be able to get over the electricity usage gyros have. If you have your generator running 24/7 and you have amps to spare, it is not going to be a problem, you can have a gyro. But for all other mortals, who don't have money to burn , a more economical way of stabilization is required. Gyros are not an economical way of stabilizing your boat.

The problem with gyros will always remain the same. They work best at high rpm and as heavy as it can be for your boat. A small, lightweight, gyro is not going to do anything for your boat and spinning at low rpm isn't going to do anything either.
And as a result of that it means that a gyro needs to be heavy and spin at high rpm, which means use a lot of electricity. Every time the gyro gets distorted it needs energy (read: electricity) to remain in plane.
I.o.w. no matter how companies want to turn and twist it, they will never be able to get over the electricity usage gyros have. If you have your generator running 24/7 and you have amps to spare, it is not going to be a problem, you can have a gyro. But for all other mortals, who don't have money to burn , a more economical way of stabilization is required. Gyros are not an economical way of stabilizing your boat.

Yes, but as I said, the company I linked too, seems to have much lower maintenance requirements which lowers the long term expense compared to other gyros. The expense of maintaining some gyros, as mentioned in other posts, is very expensive.

For some boats, the energy requirements will be a problem, for other boats, not so much. On advantage of gyros is that they are contained IN the boat and thus cannot snag lines, be damaged in groundings, etc. For some, this is a big concern.

Paravanes are pretty cheap to build and maintain but they do burn fuel in use, can snag stuff, and if one is concerned about air draft, paravanes are a problem. If one needs/wants stabilization at anchor flopper stoppers are an option.

All of the forms of stabilization have good and bad points. Which to use depends on the boat, how it will be used, and what one wants/can spend for the stabilization.

Yes, but as I said, the company I linked too, seems to have much lower maintenance requirements which lowers the long term expense compared to other gyros. The expense of maintaining some gyros, as mentioned in other posts, is very expensive.

Am kind of curious how they want to lower maintenance requirements. In a gyro the bearings are basically the achilles heel. For a gyro to work fine you either need a very heavy weight or a very high speed. Both options put enormous loads on the bearings, hence the reason for the maintenance.
Some companies now came up with the idea to lower the rpm's and the weight, which indeed means less maintenance, but at the same time that gyro is not going to perform like the high speed, high weight gyros.

For some boats, the energy requirements will be a problem, for other boats, not so much. On advantage of gyros is that they are contained IN the boat and thus cannot snag lines, be damaged in groundings, etc. For some, this is a big concern.
In my opinion only charter boats or people who don't know anything other than running the generator 24/7 will not mind, however.........if that gyro is eating up 2/3 of the capacity of the generator, you are not going to be happy. And to increase generator capacity just to be able to run your gyro....I don't think that is the way to go.

Paravanes are pretty cheap to build and maintain but they do burn fuel in use, can snag stuff, and if one is concerned about air draft, paravanes are a problem. If one needs/wants stabilization at anchor flopper stoppers are an option.
Flopper stoppers are definitely an option if your boat can handle them. I wish my boat would have been able to accept them and to perform well, but that was not the case. Same goes for paravanes.

All of the forms of stabilization have good and bad points. Which to use depends on the boat, how it will be used, and what one wants/can spend for the stabilization.

I agree that stabilization depends for a large part on what you can spend, but as I found out during my research, i was surprised to find basically identical cost for all forms of stabilization. The difference was perhaps 5000 USD and that is something which I find hard to believe. How can it be that completely different forms of stabilization in the end all have the same price ? I have my suspicions, but have to be careful.

As for the different forms of stabilization I don't share your opinion that they are all identical. I can clearly see a pattern. In the old days it were the paravanes and from that came the hydraulic fins. Worked perfect for decades (and still do for the larger vessels), but development has brought us alternatives. First there were the pneumatic fins, but I don't really see them as an option. The idea was ok, but the enormous compressor and storage tank quickly showed the flaws in that idea.
After that came the gyros and the idea in itself is perfect, but the practical problems make it difficult. When you build your boat around it then it is an option, but for existing boats I don't see gyros as an option. Too big, too much space needed, too much electricity usage and long spool up time.

And then it was waiting for electrical solutions such as rotors and eventually the fins. Especially for the market segment that most of us are in (up to about 60') the electrical solution if perfect. It doesn't take up a lot of space, does not require a lot of maintenance and it offers more than what hydraulic fins will ever be able to do. In a couple of years we will see many producers coming up with electrical solutions for the smaller boats.
Reason for that is simple, only electrical fins give you the ability to offer underway and on anchor stability with low operating cost.
The one thing that I wonder about is why stabilization is never offered on new builds. Some boats are well over 1 million USD and still don't have stabilization, that just does make sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom