To the Moderators: Proposal for a "Greenline" Trawler Builder Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottC

Guru
Vessel Name
ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Make
Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Hello Moderators!

Kindly consider adding Greenline to your trawler builder area. I believe there is a need for an area where international Greenline owners can conduct open and frank discussion. I know quite a few Greenline owners and also know that most would appreciate a resource like this and would probably join TF if such a section existed.

I am not aware of any current international equivalent discussion area for Greenline owners. Most of today's online "discussion" is found on dealer Facebook pages and the like in various countries.

Greenlines (especially the hybrids) can be complex animals. Owners can struggle with this and find that dealer sites are often more interested in focusing on sales of new boats than with follow-up on questions and challenges. Furthermore, the dealers definitely don't want any potentially critical discussions being carried on in their sites.

If you're inclined to agree with me, I would be happy to come up with a thread-structure for the forum in an attempt to give it some organization right from the start.

Best regards,

ScottC.

Last edited:
I welcome any boaters, not just to the Forum but to the marina docks or anchorages. Sail, power, oars or electric. That being said, I don't think you will find much interest in the Greenline subject.

I guess they could qualify as a trawler but with the generally limited range and fairly narrow usage band I'm guessing there aren't many owners on this Forum.

Good Luck though,

pete (I am not a moderator)

Hi Pete,

Searching on the Members list, I can see 4 Greenline owners, including me. This assumes people are indicating "Greenline" on their profiles. Anyway, you are right - there are not many. Is this because there is no Greenline-specific area in the forum, perhaps? I posit that if we add such a section, other Greenline owners will join. Chicken <> Egg. Egg<> Chicken...

Regarding range. Clearly Greenlines don't have anything close to "passagemaker" capability or range, but just what defines the average non-passagemaker "trawler" in terms of range? Is there a specific number out there? There may be...but I haven't run across it yet. For my GL33, on diesel, keeping a 10% reserve and running at 7kts, I have a range of ~500 nautical miles. 600 nm, if I want to run 6.5 knots. I can consider the solar/electric capabilities as additional "reserve".

Regards,

ScottC.

Last edited:
ScottC,
In case you’re not aware there has been a constant stream of owners of boats that they want represented on the list. Some/many aren’t even trawlers and after all this is Trawler Forum.

But I can see clearly the need you state for communication between owners of these unique boats. Uniqueness after all is probably the reason for most brand-specific forums. But room or space on the computer may not be the issue of force here. I haven’t noticed but perhaps advertising commonality of people and products may be a controlling force. Does TF advertise products related to this kind of boating or do they sell toothpaste, cars and furniture? Maybe that’s not even the issue and maybe most moderators don’t even know any part of the marketing aspect of the business ... and this is a business .. or have I got that wrong? I see ads right next to this post for “Excavation and septic install” and “Nutrisystem”. So perhaps any content that may expand the base would be eligible. But if some/many didn’t like sifting through the “weird boat” stuff to get to the trawler stuff ???

ScottC,
In case you’re not aware there has been a constant stream of owners of boats that they want represented on the list. Some/many aren’t even trawlers and after all this is Trawler Forum.
I haven’t noticed but perhaps advertising commonality of people and products may be a controlling force. Does TF advertise products related to this kind of boating or do they sell toothpaste, cars and furniture? Maybe that’s not even the issue and maybe most moderators don’t even know any part of the marketing aspect of the business ... and this is a business .. or have I got that wrong? I see ads right next to this post for “Excavation and septic install” and “Nutrisystem”. So perhaps any content that may expand the base would be eligible. But if some/many didn’t like sifting through the “weird boat” stuff to get to the trawler stuff ???

Hi Eric,
I have marveled for some time at the features, functionality, quality, consistency and management of this forum. Something has to fund this, as there is no membership fee. If you look at the Terms of Service and look further at the parent, Social Knowledge - Online Community Network, it becomes clearer that advertising must be very important. So, I would re-interpret this as: "the larger the potential audience, the better."

As to what ads are shown on various parts of your screen, that's often driven, at least in part, by your location, browsing history/cookies and your browser settings (i.e. how much leeway you give your browser for accepting cookies). At this minute, I'm looking at ads for cycling shorts with butt pads, bladder & prostate surgery alternatives and creative Cloud computing solutions. All in Swedish. If that's what it takes to keep this valuable forum running, so be it!

Regards,

ScottC.

As a Greenline owner for over two years I can second the comments that Scott made in the first post on this thread. A dedicated forum topic would be great.

In regards to Pete's post on range, last year we did a two month cruise from Fl west coast to the Exumas and back with one 50 gal partial refueling (900 NM). In my humble opinion it's a great cruising boat.

J.
Greenline 39

Greetings,
Mr. NW. Indeed, Mr. SC is correct. The ads you see on YOUR screen reflect the sites you have visited. I suspect that Septic systems and diet plans might be associated with your interest in buttocks (boat buttock, OF COURSE)?

iu

Just sayin'....

HaHa RT by the expression on your face I think you’re looking at the wrong butts.

Back
Top Bottom