WTB: Nomad, or other small trawler/tug options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tazling

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
DARXIDE
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32
I can feel old age creeping up on me and my sailing days starting to wind down -- spending more time motoring than sailing this last season -- so it's time to start thinking about making the transition to the Dark Side :)

But if I'm to own an MV instead of an SV then I would like something modest, sturdy, full-displacement and low-horsepower. While others may enjoy the thrill of power at 150HP and up, it just feels like "throwing money away" to me :) being used to 1.3 litres per hour avg with my trusty late-model Beta 25 I am accustomed to cheap cruising.

One attractive option I have seen occasionally are the Willards -- a cute/ugly duckling that I think I could get fond of, though the Nomad is the only model that really appeals.

If anyone knows of a Nomad in good shape (getting too old for any more Project Boats) f/sale or coming up f/sale in the PNW anytime soon, I'd be very interested to know more about it.

Would also be interested in alternatives -- I know very little about motor boats & would welcome suggestions. The smallest Grand Banks I suppose is an option, though I feel intimidated by the F/L 120 power plant. With the cost of fuel these days I fear I'd start limiting my travels to reduce expenses, and I'd rather feel free to go as far as I want to, not as far as I can afford. Everything is so spendy with big engines, even the oil changes.

Any thoughts/recommends on coastal trawler/tugs with a flybridge and engines in the 40-80HP range, 5-6kt cruising speed, sleep 3 (couple plus guest), fairly simple and spartan but sturdy and capable?

Check out willardboatowners.org for a semi-current listing of Willard for sale.

Also, feel free to join Willard Boat Owners group on Groups.io. Boats often get offered there first.

I owned a W30 Searcher model. I liked it a lot.

Peter (moderator of WBO since 1998)

Nomad in Tacoma

There is a nice Nomad for sale in Tacoma. Currently listed on Craigslist. Also on the PNW Willard Owners Facebook page.

There is also a MK IV for sale in Anacortes.

Last edited:
Unless you want a light boat the W30 is the best small trawler IMO.

Back
Top Bottom