painting a repair on mainship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keith c

Vessel Name
Princess M
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 34
When I purchased my 2006 Mainship 34 T there was a repair on the stern of boat which I was told was from damage to the swim platform area. Repairs were checked out by survey and all was good except the repair paint was white not the antique white which was on the rest of the vessel. The area I need to repaint is about 2 sq. feet. I have found the paint but how do I proceed?

What type of paint is it, both the old and new paint?

Keith
I'll give you a link to my Bacchus website - also in my signature if using TF via the web. If you look under "Useful Links - Hull Paint" you will find what I learned doing a touch up on our '08 34HT.
https://dkloeber.wixsite.com/bacchus

I would reconfirm that your off white hull is painted. Best info I have seen is that all off white hulls as well as top side MSs are gel coat and not paint. Only the colored hulls, blues, red,... were painted using Awlcraft (by Awlgrip but a different chemistry than Awlgrip)
Only way that might happen is if PO did/had fiberglass work done and spot painted instead of using gel coat. I can't imagine a repair pro going that route but I'm sure stranger things have happened. If that's the case it will likely be a custom mix trying to match a gel coat finish.

Hull Painting

When I purchased my 2006 Mainship 34 T there was a repair on the stern of boat which I was told was from damage to the swim platform area. Repairs were checked out by survey and all was good except the repair paint was white not the antique white which was on the rest of the vessel. The area I need to repaint is about 2 sq. feet. I have found the paint but how do I proceed?

You can certainly do this job yourself and get professional results using a "roll and tip" method. Search Roll and Tip and you find multiple videos on how its done. The trick to a professional looking job starts with the preparation. Then once done you can "color sand" the area and buff using an automotive buffer.

Or you could hire someone to spray the area. More prep required as you would need to cover the areas to protect against over-spray. This too can be done by you, but you'll need a spray gun, compressor and some practice.

You can certainly do this job yourself and get professional results using a "roll and tip" method. Search Roll and Tip and you find multiple videos on how its done. The trick to a professional looking job starts with the preparation. Then once done you can "color sand" the area and buff using an automotive buffer.

Or you could hire someone to spray the area. More prep required as you would need to cover the areas to protect against over-spray. This too can be done by you, but you'll need a spray gun, compressor and some practice.

That will work with some paints but not all... haven't heard back from PO re what paint he has or believes the hull was painted with previously - if painted and not gel coat. Lots of variables here

You need to find out what type of paint was used for the repair. If it was a 2 part paint the generally you can go over it with a 1 or 2 part paint, generally. If it was a 1 part paint you can generally only go over it with a 1 part paint, if you use 2 part over 1 part usually the 2 part paint will ruin the 1 part underneath it and then ruin the whole thing. But maybe the repair was done with gel coat and not paint. It could be any of the 3 things, 1 part, 2 part or gel coat. The other option is if the repair is paint you could sand off all the repair paint and start fresh but that will be more work. Easier is to find out what the repair was done with. Easiest is to ignore the different color and live with it...

Back
Top Bottom