Hardtop - Factory fit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidla

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Shady Lady
Vessel Make
Main ship Trawler 400
Hi
I am looking to put solar panels on my hard top. It appears to be of solid construction and is held up by angular stainless steel supports either side. Two stainless columns behind and to the the left and right of the helm seat. As well as a timber framed glass front window centre screen.
My question is, has anyone climbed on top of one of these to affix some solar panels?
Cheers
David

If the factory installed it they should be able to tell you what the weight limit is. But not only the weight limit is important, it is also a matter of weight and balance. What effect will adding solar panels have to the balance of the boat.
In my case the yard in Taiwan told me not to add rigid solar panels at the the height of the bimini top, it would negatively effect the balance of the boat. So I decided to install them much lower.
If you want to install flexible panels it should not really be a problem for the weight and balance.
Can you walk on the bimini ?
Just for security purposes I would perhaps put a plank on the bimini and then give it a try.

As it’s a main ship I have no factory to refer to. The panels are semi flexible and the two 430w panels will weigh about 14kg, so should not be a problem.
Was just wondering if any main ship owner had been up on there already. :)

As it’s a main ship I have no factory to refer to. The panels are semi flexible and the two 430w panels will weigh about 14kg, so should not be a problem.
Was just wondering if any main ship owner had been up on there already. :)

The weight of the panels won't be a problem, so I would just go for it. You probably weigh more than the panels together, so be careful when you climb on the hard top.

How about some photos of the top? I would not be that concerned about the weight of the panels but more concerned about your weight while doing the installation.

I do not see where the model of the boat is mentioned. I climb up on top of my 30 Pilot II's hardtop all the time, but I do not recognize the metal work you cite supporting mine, Perhaps it was an owner modification from a soft-top as I have seen.

I do not see where the model of the boat is mentioned. I climb up on top of my 30 Pilot II's hardtop all the time, but I do not recognize the metal work you cite supporting mine, Perhaps it was an owner modification from a soft-top as I have seen.

Apologies I overlooked that bit. Have added to my profile :banghead:

How about some photos of the top? I would not be that concerned about the weight of the panels but more concerned about your weight while doing the installation.

Some pictures showing various angles:

Attachments

• IMG_0183.jpeg
    IMG_0183.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0184.jpeg
    IMG_0184.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0182.jpeg
    IMG_0182.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 115
I don't think that is an OEM hardtop. Take a look at RGANO's avatar.

I don't think that is an OEM hardtop. Take a look at RGANO's avatar.

That is definitely not a factory HT. Be careful about putting significant weight on it. This is what a factory top looks like on my later model 30 Pilot II.

Attachments

• IMG_3991.jpg
    IMG_3991.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 10
If you can't do the installation without sitting on the hardtop, do that before you begin, adding your weight slowly and watching to see if you are overstressing any part of the structure. If it will take your weight without issue, adding the additional weight of the panels will be insignificant.

That is definitely not a factory HT. Be careful about putting significant weight on it. This is what a factory top looks like on my later model 30 Pilot II.

Thanks, I dont think any Trawler 400 left the factory with a fully moulded hardtop, but I am happy to be corrected on that.

If you are concerned about your weight on the hardtop you might put in some temporary supports under it using some 2x4s.

If you are concerned about your weight on the hardtop you might put in some temporary supports under it using some 2x4s.

Great idea, thanks.:thumb::thumb:

Yes, maybe make some legs out of 2x4s and connect the legs with more 2x4s at the underside of the hardtop to spread the weight out. I have done this several different times to hold weight while working on things.

Thanks, I dont think any Trawler 400 left the factory with a fully moulded hardtop, but I am happy to be corrected on that.

The title of the thread is "Hardtop - Factory fit?" :angel:

They didn't make a Mainship Trawler 350, 390, 400, or 34 with a hard top on the upper bridge from the factory.

Sorry for the confusion everyone. I was referring to a hard top in lieu of a bimini top. I appreciate the difference between what you refer to as a factory hardtop. What I would call an enclosed hardtop or enclosed flybridge.
As it turned out, got a young sparkie to climb up, clean the roof and install the panels - all good. Thanks for the responses.

Back
Top Bottom