Alarm at upper and lower helm upon startup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WMinder

Vessel Name
Rambling Rosie
Vessel Make
2001 Mainship 390
At anchor north of Tampa. Started engine and alarm went off both on lower and upper helm. Had no indication of any problems when we anchored last night.

Both alarms are two wire set-ups. Same colors on both. One being purple w/green stripe, the other tan/lt brn? w/blue stripe.

Upstairs Helm alarm is small, round and mounted to the left of the single engine controls. Removed and the label indicates it is a AI-430 by Projects Unltd Inc out of Dayton. Ohio

Upon start-up oil pressure good, voltage good.

Looked up the diagrams in Mainship but don't find any color coding that matches this wire set-up.

Any suggestions as to the problem would be appreciated. I'm concerned about leaving and getting underway until a determination as to what is setting of the alarm.

I've taken pics of the wires and alarms but on don't know how to post them. Can send pics to an Email address if helpful. Have excellent cell service if you can call.

Thank You
Bill Minder
239-571-9646

Check out the section about how to use the forum. There is a sticky thread on how to post photos.

The alarm stays on after the engine is started? Is it the same alarm that briefly sounds as oil pressure is brought up to normal after engine start?

Possible causes of an alarm from your Yanmar(?) engine are:
Low oil pressure - you gauge seems to eliminate that one
Low coolant level - pull the radiator cap to check and fill as necessary
High gear oil temperature - about all you can do short of getting a mechanic is check tranny oil level
Low boost (if you even have a boost sensor - most don't)
Water in your fuel - the alarm is on the engine mounted filter on my Yanmar 6LPA-STP. Not sure about your Yanmar. Check your Racor filter bowls to see if they happen to have water in them instead of red dyed fuel.

Thank You for the quick response.

I will run the check list down and report back.

HI Rich

Ran down the list

Tranny good
Fuel Good
Coolant - a little low, filled, burped and capped

Started up, alarm sounded, moved rpm up from 700 to 1200 - alarm went off.

Started backing, at 1000 alarm went off.

Repeated several times. Every time rpm got over 1100 alarm went off.

Seems to be like a funky sensor - Any thoughts?

Given I've got good oil pressure and the alarm ceases at 1100 rpm I feel we should be able to run. Thoughts?

There should be a separate low oil pressure alarm switch, it could be weak and not holding the contact open at lower rpm’s. Oil pressure gauge should have its own resistance sender, usually a much larger sender than the alarm.

James

There should be a separate low oil pressure alarm switch, it could be weak and not holding the contact open at lower rpm’s. Oil pressure gauge should have its own resistance sender, usually a much larger sender than the alarm.

James

Right on. On my Yanmar, the oil pressure gauge's sensor and the oil pressure alarm switch are right next to each other on top of the engine forward and port. Find the two and disconnect one and flip the ignition power on - do not statzz, you got the right one. Buzz, try the other. Once identified remove and replace and let us know how it went.

Will do. Having the part order now to catch in transit in Fort Myers Florida thank you both for your help in this situation as I was very concerned I had a bigger issue. I will keep you posted as to my progress.

Issue has been resolved, the culprit being the low pressure switch.

Thanks to everyone for your assistance. It was a great relief to gather everyone's input as my mechanical skills are very limited but this old dog is still capable of learning a few things.

Bill Minder

Issue has been resolved, the culprit being the low pressure switch.

Thanks to everyone for your assistance. It was a great relief to gather everyone's input as my mechanical skills are very limited but this old dog is still capable of learning a few things.

Bill Minder

Knew it. :) Your COMPLETE description of your testing was the key to helping out. Good job!

Back
Top Bottom