Canadian Poll on opening boarder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Canada would be smart to keep the border closed. As long as the small businesses are protected from going under.

We live on a peninsula with 7 cases, 1 death and a population of 15,000.

There are 3 state parks, one with a marina and a handful of county parks with miles of bicycle and horse trails.

We don't want outsiders descending on us with possible infected people. We don't have a border like you lucky Canadians have to repel the infected.

One year out of 35 not boating in Canada is not that big of a deal.

Last edited:
Side question which I don't know the answer to, but wouldn't the border opening apply to all provinces/states? In other words, your response alludes to the idea that the BC/WA/PNW border could open independently of the rest of the Canadian border. But could that really happen? Or would it have to be the entire Canada/US border (so all provinces and states)? That would then mean that the US/WA cases were just one small factor.

(I'm in the US and would have liked to cruise BC this summer; but I 100% support Canada keeping the border closed. If I were Canadian I sure wouldn't want to open it (due to COVID transmission).
Although the only people who can enter Australia are returning residents/citizens(and probably special cases) the States and Territories, as between themselves, have differing practices. Some have closed borders to all but essential services, some are open generally. It`s estimated Queensland loses $17M a day in banned tourism. I don`t think some states allowing overseas arrivals and some not would work, but in any case the Federal Govt. has the power there, not the states/territories.
We just had a case of a returnee serving 14 days enforced Hotel quarantine in Western Australia released Covid tested free, later falling ill and testing positive in another state.
From a safe distance and without wishing to offend, it appears Canada is wise to keep it US border closed. But we will surely see more financial havoc.

Where is the greater risk to BC, a plane of Canadian citizens from Quebec or an Ocean Alexander from Seattle? Or the Canadian citizen returning through the Detroit crossing to Ontario and then flying Toronto to Vancouver?

Based upon second hand feedback from Canadian Customs these are not idle questions. Responsible and smart government people seem to be engaged in these types of discussions, on both sides of the border and internally. Another announcement is due in a week or so regarding travel, phased opening up and control strategies.

Where is the greater risk to BC, a plane of Canadian citizens from Quebec or an Ocean Alexander from Seattle? Or the Canadian citizen returning through the Detroit crossing to Ontario and then flying Toronto to Vancouver?...

USA has 10 times Canada's population and 22 times the Covid-19 cases.

We'll deal with our problems, you deal with yours, and the border will open when both countries agree that the other has a handle on things through public health policy and/or natural regression of the virus.

USA has 10 times Canada's population and 22 times the Covid-19 cases.

We'll deal with our problems, you deal with yours, and the border will open when both countries agree that the other has a handle on things through public health policy and/or natural regression of the virus.

I agree 100%

Until we get a handle on this, each country should look inward and protect it's people. Closing borders and 2 week quarantine for incoming sounds reasonable to me.

Too bad the individual states could'nt close borders and open depending on the infection rate of the other state. Washington State, even though we were first to have cases and deaths in the country, has done a good job with mitigation and has fairly low numbers. Do we want visitors from other less fortunate states? No!

My wife either got an email or call from Tove saying Pierres sold.

First nations purchased it.

Hope they keep it open, but will probably follow the previous path of shutting it down and only open to first nation. I hope that does not happen.

Where is the greater risk to BC, a plane of Canadian citizens from Quebec or an Ocean Alexander from Seattle?

I don't see that as being a good comparison, even if the OA of US citizens is less risk. Reason I say that is that even if Canada is going to let its own citizens move around freely (not sure what that status is), they are Canadians. The OA containing US citizens is an additional risk posed by non-Canadians. Why do it at this point? I sure wouldn't (if I were Canada).

Maybe they do or should have restrictions on movements of their own citizens as well, but I see that as different since they are Canadians in Canada.

I admire the way Australia is quarantining people upon arrival (I believe these are mainly Australians who are returning). Not just suggesting it, but providing a place and some supervision. Sure, it would be nicer if that were not necessary, but I'm sure we'd all prefer there be no pandemic. They will be coming out the other side while we in the US are still in the worse stages.

Hoping the border opens soon enough for us to head back to the Abacos for the winter. Three fuel stops would be our only contact with Americans tho' we would miss seeing all those amazing small towns on the east coast again.

...I admire the way Australia is quarantining people upon arrival (I believe these are mainly Australians who are returning). Not just suggesting it, but providing a place and some supervision. Sure, it would be nicer if that were not necessary, but I'm sure we'd all prefer there be no pandemic. They will be coming out the other side while we in the US are still in the worse stages.
Thanks Frosty. It was born of experience, we required people arriving from o/s to self quarantine, not all did, people got infected. Even a histopathologist friend told me she was going out for walks and take out coffees, but she`d been in New Zealand, so fairly safe(NZ now has 0 cases!). We still get the odd community transmission case but most new ones are caught in quarantine. Worryingly, a primary schoolteacher at a school of 450 kids got it. The exposure risk is huge, a pro football player with a kid at the school had to get tested, as did his entire team, and their match that day got cancelled. School closed for 14days, instead of usual one day just to clean it. One event like that can blow the whole strategy.

Can you give us an example of the “previous path”?

Claiming or buying property then closing access to all "non-natives"

From my understanding a lot of BCers do not agree with the way their government has handled these issues i.e.the First Nations placing signs all over BC stating they are claiming the land, but that is a political conversation, not boating.

From my understanding a lot of BCers do not agree with the way their government has handled these issues i.e.the First Nations placing signs all over BC stating they are claiming the land, but that is a political conversation, not boating.

You must be talking to BC’ers of the rosy naped variety. Your observation sounds a wee bit skewed.

Most of BC is on unceeded territory, as in no land claims or treaties have ever been signed. There is much to figure out, but at least it’s not illegal for a lawyer to work for First Nations in BC like it was in the olden days.

Interesting, but not an example.

I agree entirely that native land claims are a complex and sometimes (often) contentious political issue not suited for the forum. Having said that, I think your concerns about possible impact on boating from this or other commercial transactions is unlikely.

I moor in a First Nations owned facility (there is more than one in North Vancouver). North Vancouver has multiple commercial ventures on land leased from First Nations as do many communities in B.C. Many successful residential developments are built on leased First Nation land. I know of at least one marina in the Broughtons that is on leased land and has apparently good relations with the landlord.

I have serious doubts that First Nations are buying businesses to shut them down and close them off to all non First Nation folk. Rather, I think that it is considerably more likely that they are trying to provide economic opportunities to their communities and, in the specific case of Echo Bay, that they will continue serve boaters going forward.

I am looking forward to seeing what they can do to make the boating experience in the Broughtons even better than it already is.

After you answer soin2la, maybe you can explain (if your insinuation is true) how that would be any different than you purchasing a small BC island or piece of property and putting up a "Private Property" or "No Trespassing" sign.

After you answer soin2la, maybe you can explain (if your insinuation is true) how that would be any different than you purchasing a small BC island or piece of property and putting up a "Private Property" or "No Trespassing" sign.

Or Seattle Yacht Club purchasing Canadian marinas and making them a members only outstation.

If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.
Will Rogers.

ASD…
If you decide to bless the BC coast with your presence again, I urge you to take some time, before you go around the corner, to involve yourself with the U’mista Culture Centre in Alert Bay https://www.umista.ca/

Maybe stop in Campbell River, for a trip up Toba Inlet with Garry, from Aboriginal Journeys https://www.aboriginaljourneys.com/

Port McNeill seems to have captured you heart, so why not introduce yourselves to Mike Willie, at Sea Wolf for another cultural tour https://seawolfadventures.ca/

All of these folks will welcome you to their home and show you no less consideration, than those who respect them.

Last edited:
Well, that about puts a fork in it for sure.
Still want to hear ASD flesh out his line of logic...
Yes, for sure.
And with a win,win, they might just bury the Tomahawk and welcome ASD to a potlatch.

QUOTE FROM CHIEF RICK
“Re-claiming ownership of this land within our traditional territory provides more than employment and economic development opportunities for Kwiḵwa̱sut’inux̱w Haxwa’mis people. This community-driven initiative gives us more decision-making power in
Kwiḵwa̱sut’inux̱w Haxwa’mis territories and builds on our goal of self-determination.”

QUOTE FROM PIERRE LANDRY
“We are thrilled that KHFN have purchased the Echo Bay Marina and will be operating the business going forward. We wish the KHFN community all the best as they work on expanding and enhancing all that Echo Bay has to offer.”

This is (hopefully) a great outcome for all. Pierre and Tove get to finally sell their investment and get on with their lives, the First Nation gets to continue the operation of the marina and as boaters, we will still have a nice marina to go to. Hopefully they will continue with many of the existing traditions of Echo Bay, and enhance the facilities and experience (not that it was bad now), and make boating in the Broughtons even better. I was, and still am concerned about the long term health of the local marinas in the Broughtons, and more so this year. Time will tell.

I'm happy for Pierre and Tove. They put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into Echo Bay after they bought it from Nancy and brought all the docks, floating buildings and everything else from Scott Cove.

We liked Pierres better when it was located in Scott Cove. It was smaller, more quaint and the crowds were smaller. The Octopus movie theater was a big hit and the bakery had great sweets. Tove was more engaged at Scott Cove and greeted every boats arrival wearing costumes and a tiara. Those were the good all days at Pierres.

I wonder if the new owners will continue the Pig Roast?

The Des Moines Yacht Club, located in a small town south of Seattle built the giant pig roaster in Des Moines and donated it to Pierres in the late 90's, early 00's.

Some of our members started going to Pierres when he first opened and was brainstorming over many drinks with Pierre about ways to increase business. Pot lucks were the only food available at Pierres. One of the DMYC members proclaimed that a weekly pig roast would put Pierres on the map. The only problem was how to cook 1/2 a pig. One of the other members,who is an engineer and welder said he'll build one over winter.

The roaster was made out of a large used furnace oil tank cut in half. Hardest part was engineering the heavy lid to open and the chain drive rotisserie. There is a metal DMYC burgee on the lid.

The finished roaster was taken to Port McNeill, the following summer, on a trailer and loaded on to one of the members boats and taken to Pierres where it was presented to Pierre and Tove.

The pig roasts put Pierres on the map, as predicted, and they outgrew Scott Cove and moved to Echo Bay several years later.

Last edited:
This is (hopefully) a great outcome for all. Hopefully they will continue with many of the existing traditions of Echo Bay.
Yes, and they will undoubtedly introduce some new traditions.

I and others are quite happy with this as we were fearful someone from another country might kick Pierre and Tove when they were down and turn the place into another Telegraph Cove.

Echo Bay and Pierre/Tove are joined at the hip. It will be interesting to see how the Natives keep the fun place going absent P&T serving up prime rib and creating the party like atmosphere.

Yes, for sure.
And with a win,win, they might just bury the Tomahawk and welcome ASD to a potlatch.

QUOTE FROM CHIEF RICK
“Re-claiming ownership of this land within our traditional territory provides more than employment and economic development opportunities for Kwiḵwa̱sut’inux̱w Haxwa’mis people. This community-driven initiative gives us more decision-making power in
Kwiḵwa̱sut’inux̱w Haxwa’mis territories and builds on our goal of self-determination.”

QUOTE FROM PIERRE LANDRY
“We are thrilled that KHFN have purchased the Echo Bay Marina and will be operating the business going forward. We wish the KHFN community all the best as they work on expanding and enhancing all that Echo Bay has to offer.”

Well, that about puts a fork in it for sure.

Still want to hear ASD flesh out his line of logic...

If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.
Will Rogers.

ASD…
If you decide to bless the BC coast with your presence again, I urge you to take some time, before you go around the corner, to involve yourself with the U’mista Culture Centre in Alert Bay https://www.umista.ca/

Maybe stop in Campbell River, for a trip up Toba Inlet with Garry, from Aboriginal Journeys https://www.aboriginaljourneys.com/

Port McNeill seems to have captured you heart, so why not introduce yourselves to Mike Willie, at Sea Wolf for another cultural tour https://seawolfadventures.ca/

All of these folks will welcome you to their home and show you no less consideration, than those who respect them.

Ah, but who opened this door...again?
You have spent how many days on the BC coast?
Strong letter to follow.

What are you getting at?

Interesting, but not an example.

I agree entirely that native land claims are a complex and sometimes (often) contentious political issue not suited for the forum. Having said that, I think your concerns about possible impact on boating from this or other commercial transactions is unlikely.

I moor in a First Nations owned facility (there is more than one in North Vancouver). North Vancouver has multiple commercial ventures on land leased from First Nations as do many communities in B.C. Many successful residential developments are built on leased First Nation land. I know of at least one marina in the Broughtons that is on leased land and has apparently good relations with the landlord.

I have serious doubts that First Nations are buying businesses to shut them down and close them off to all non First Nation folk. Rather, I think that it is considerably more likely that they are trying to provide economic opportunities to their communities and, in the specific case of Echo Bay, that they will continue serve boaters going forward.

I am looking forward to seeing what they can do to make the boating experience in the Broughtons even better than it already is.

You must be talking to BC’ers of the rosy naped variety. Your observation sounds a wee bit skewed.

Most of BC is on unceeded territory, as in no land claims or treaties have ever been signed. There is much to figure out, but at least it’s not illegal for a lawyer to work for First Nations in BC like it was in the olden days.

Sorry guys but I am not drinking the liberal KoolAide.

There are a lot of BCrs and Canadians who do not agree with you or your goverments position on this matter.

There are a lot of BCrs and Canadians who do not agree with you or your goverments position on this matter.

No meat on that bone. Want to flesh out your line of logic?

Care to share the names of the website forums you may frequent where this attitude is considered "normal"?

Hope they keep it open, but will probably follow the previous path of shutting it down and only open to first nation. I hope that does not happen.

Can you just simply say where the "previous path" was taken? You obviously have seen it before and have example(s) in mind. Why be coy?

(I haven't been up there in some years.)

True, it lacks the sophistication of the conservative KoolAid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom