Why did Gelcoat turn yellow under Plaque?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveandZoila

Vessel Name
Miss Rita
Vessel Make
2004 Heritage East
The getcoat is shiny but brown under the name plaque? The boat was not painted. It appears as a deep stain. Any ideals on how to lighten gelcoat? 20200620_091125.jpg

20200620_091107.jpg

You may find that was the original color of all your hull!

Wash it with on / off and then compound and polish..

Is gel-coat always clear?
Probably not.

UV oxidizes paint and gelcoat,leeching the color out of it. UV can't get to the paint or gelcoat thats under plaques or lettering so it doesn't oxidize. Now that it's explosed, it will...eventually. Years ago when I needed to get rid of the "ghost" of the previous name before having the new name put on, the boat lettering pro we used told me it would disappear in about a month if I brushed "painted" it with undiluted bleach several times a day (the transom or that side of the boat had to be exposed to sunlight). He'd wait to come back to paint the new name on till I let him know it was gone. It actually only took about 3 weeks...yours looks darker, so it may take longer.

Or you could just put a new name plaque on it.

--Peggie

Fading?

I talked to a friend today who said when his boat name was removed it had a brown color under it. His guy just put the new name over it. My friend said over time the area faded away! I think I will clean it and fill holes and just wait, I will report back later with progress.

On a previous boat the PO used metal flake vinyl to make the name. It was on the boat for 25 years. When I removed the vinyl the gel coat was dark brown. I think that the metal flake burned the gel coat somehow. I tried everything I could think of to remove the brown. Finally tried sanding it off but it went deep into the gel coat. The final fix was painting the transom.

UV oxidizes paint and gelcoat,leeching the color out of it. UV can't get to the paint or gelcoat thats under plaques or lettering so it doesn't oxidize. Now that it's exposed, it will...eventually.

Or you could just put a new name plaque on it.
--Peggie
Surely this is the most logical fix..?

True color

The boat is an 2004, white gelcoat, there are many areas the sun doesn't touch, ie the hard top over aft deck and its very white. So there's no oxidation making my"brown boat " white. Maybe the heat thru the panel, or off gassing of materials, ie Labels. any more thoughts?

The boat is an 2004, white gelcoat, there are many areas the sun doesn't touch, ie the hard top over aft deck and its very white. So there's no oxidation making my"brown boat " white. Maybe the heat thru the panel, or off gassing of materials, ie Labels. any more thoughts?

I think the difference in gloss between the two areas reflect light differently changing the original off white color into pure white.

Older Bayliners, Mainships and other boats were off white instead of white. Several new boats too. When they oxidize, they turn whiteish.

I have had the same thing happen in a few places on my boat when it was brand new. In those areas, the gelcoat (and it is / was all original gel coat) turned darker (the boat is white) when covered for only about a year. In each case, I suspect an interaction between the gelcoat and the surface resting on it. One of those other surfaces was rubber (the base of a support that rests on top of a fiberglass dock box to support my crane's boom -- its real purpose is to provide security to the dock box by preventing its opening without first raising the crane). And, come to think of it, the dock box, though brand new and fiberglass, was not made with the boat. The other place was where a plastic EPIRB bracket had been mounted -- with screws, no adhesives. That gel coat turned a dark yellow.

Back
Top Bottom