what problems during mid winter cruise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diver dave

Guru
Vessel Name
Coquina
Vessel Make
Lagoon 380
Thinking of picking up a sailcat late Jan and powering it home.
Boat lays near Baltimore and home is NE FL. Range under power is only around 130nm. is fuel range likely an issue? I guess the question I need to ask is diesel availability dockside during this time on the AICW.

TIA

You shouldn't have a problem. The Chesapeake still has commercial boats working. I would use Waterway's online map with the fuel stops selected as an icon. Generally you can get pricing and a web link to contact them for business hours. The further South you go, the less of an issue it should be.

I think temperature on the Chesapeake in January could be a bigger issue. :(

You could also carry a couple of jerry cans for emergencies. With diesel it would be safe enough.

Fuel won't be a problem. How will you stay warm.

There is a propane fired heater in the salon. I’ll bring my drysuit and lots of lead in case there is u/w work to do. But new to me boat, so confidence level is low.

But, I hate cold. My last 8 winters spent in w NY [emoji15]

I departed Annapolis southbound last year around the first week of January. It was cold. It wasn't western NY cold, but you'll definitely need the heater. Propane is easy to get in most places, and I didn't have any issues finding diesel. Lots of deserted anchorages and marinas too. Never had a problem finding a place to park. Winter weather will slow you down at some point. I was hiding from big blows about every three days or so.

Don't forget your mittens! And maybe some hot chocolate. And a heated blanket. And a furry hat. And don't forget to wash behind your ears.

Your mother and I are very proud of you.

Fuel won’t be a problem, but do have a couple of yellow jugs on deck to act as insurance.

I think one of the issues may be water and pump outs. You can get stuck for 4-5 days due to weather, and while you are not using fuel, the water supplies go down and the holding tank contents go up. Once you get in the ditch, the weather conditions are more forgiving.

Fuel won’t be a problem, but do have a couple of yellow jugs on deck to act as insurance.

I think one of the issues may be water and pump outs. You can get stuck for 4-5 days due to weather, and while you are not using fuel, the water supplies go down and the holding tank contents go up. Once you get in the ditch, the weather conditions are more forgiving.

Probably a good idea to develop a list of marinas every 20 miles or so down the Chesapeake, where you can get those services and would have a heated bathhouse should you have to wait several days for weather. Probably 3 to 4 days from Baltimore to Norfolk.

Ted

Having moved boats several times in January in Baltimore you need to keep an eye on the ice. If the boat is on a creek it can ice up in a day or two and you won't be able to get out. It's rare that you can't get out of Baltimore Harbor though.

Diesel shouldn't be any problem. I would pickup 2 5 gallon fuel cans though.

Good luck

Fuel not likely to be an issue and others suggesting cans. I'd suggest a barrel. You could go either 30 gallon or 55 gallon. 30 may well be more than enough for you, but easy to deal with. Then you feel extra safe.

Imagine your water quality is at best unknown so would definitely take a nice supply of bottled water and use existing water only for flushing.

Make sure you have tow membership.

Maybe even carry a clean 5 gallon jerry can for water in case the water on the docks is turned off.

Icing in. I’m having visions of the Endurance.
Vessel is at Rock Hall, across from Baltimore. Boat has 140 g of water tankage.
Maybe a barrel of propylene glycol? [emoji15]

Back
Top Bottom