Westerbeke generator water pump is dripping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2savage

Vessel Name
Savage
Vessel Make
Seaton 50 expedition trawler
There's a small drip coming from the rear of the pump. A new pump is $500. Has anyone rebuilt (or had someone rebuild) one of these pumps?

Go electric straight of the Genset head.
Less than $150 and no more impellers

Not a Westerbeke, have but rebuilt many pumps.Both coolant and raw water pumps can be rebuilt. Bearings and seals can usually be found at a bearing supply.Sometimes on ebay.
See Youtube for videos.
For repair check out:
Water Pump Man
Depco Pump Company

I bought a rebuild kit off ebay and successfully rebuilt my Westerbeke raw water pump. It was very straightforward.

Which pump are you talking about? Raw water pump for the coolant circulating pump driven by a fan belt? And what size/ model is the generator. I have found a circulating pump for a tractor the has worked for the last two years on my 8kw generator. Less than $50.00

There's a small drip coming from the rear of the pump. A new pump is $500. Has anyone rebuilt (or had someone rebuild) one of these pumps?

Westerbeake does not make their pumps. It is either a Johnson or Sherwood pump. Find the pump OEM via the part number or cross reference guide on line. Rebuild kits are available from the OEMs or Depco. Easy to do for most small pumps.

Depco pump company has seals and OEM and aftermarket pumps.

A great tip I learned was buy the inexpensive seal, but instead of the usual disassembly involving pressing out the shaft etc....just take out the impeller and carefully use a pick to pull out the bad seal. Just slide the new one on, replace the impeller and you may be good to go.

If that doesn't work, send to Depco for rebuild or buy a kit if you are handy enough. They also used to have less expensive aftermarket pumps.

My Westerbeke 8 KW Genset uses a three cylinder Mitsubishi 900cc diesel.
The cooling water pump was noisy. A replacement was soon found for about 65 Dollars US here in the UK from a plant spares outlet. The Westerbeke agents price was eye watering.....................

Back
Top Bottom