Water puppy stops pumping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick F

Guru
Vessel Name
Callisto
Vessel Make
1974 Grand Banks 42 Classic, Hull 433
I have a Jabsco Water Puppy impeller pump which I use for odd jobs. Right now I am trying to remove the oil accumulated in the drip pans under my engines.

The pump sucks at first for about a minute and then loses its "suction".

The next day I looked at the impeller - seems OK (it has one vane missing, but it was already like that) - tried pumping again - same thing - pumped well for about a minute.

Can anyone explain this?

If an impeller has a missing vane I would replace the impeller first. Just because it worked before doesn’t mean that it is ok with a vane missing. I always do the simple stuff first.

foreign object in a line somewhere?.>>>Dan

Foreign object was my first thought too, but no sign of this. I am using clear tubing.

If it had been foreign object, why would it come back to life the next morning?

I am thinking along the lines of the impeller warming up and not sealing well in the housing.

Or . . . ??

If you’re pumping oil, use a nitrile impeller.

Can I tell what impeller I have somehow?

You probably can’t tell now. The part number will be gone. If I remember correctly the neoprene part number ends in -0003 and the nitrile ends in -0001.

If the hub in the impeller is spun, it might cause the pump to stop pumping when the impeller warmed up. You’ve lost a blade. You need to change the impeller anyway. See if that fixes it.

If the hub in the impeller is spun, it might cause the pump to stop pumping when the impeller warmed up. You’ve lost a blade. You need to change the impeller anyway. See if that fixes it.

Thasks Parks - this is a good possibility to check out.

Back
Top Bottom