Unknown plumbing fittings.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmlow

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Melissa Lynn
Vessel Make
Selene 53
Does anyone recognize this type of plumbing and where to get fittings for it?

The tubing is some for of plastic inside and out with a metal liner between the layers.

Thanks 20230930_143759.jpg

Industrial nut and ferrule compression fittings.
Can't see enough of the writing to identify the pipe but it is on there

Is this for your water lines?

Its not hard to replace those fittings with modern compression fittings

Thanks for the responses.

Yes this is for the domestic water system

After more research I found that this is Pex AL Pex. Pex with an aluminum core liner.

Once I figured that out I was able to find fittings.

After more research I found that this is Pex AL Pex. Pex with an aluminum core liner.

Aha, the much-lamented Pex-AL-Pex! Where are you getting fittings to replaced those?

It is PEX or cross-linked polyethylene piping.

Used in RVs and some homes as well.

Interesting, when I was researching Pex for replumbing the boat I only saw Pex A and B. Never came across Pex AL Pex. After this thread, I now have learned something new. I ended up using Pex A because it allowed me to buy a cool Milwaukee expander tool!

It is PEX or cross-linked polyethylene piping.

Used in RVs and some homes as well.

If only it were that simple. Pex-AL-Pex is not fitting-compatible with any PEX tubing. The fittings are Kitec, which has been largely discontinued following some class-action litigation. It's still easy enough to find Kitec adapter fittings in 1/2" and larger sizes, but the tubing used in the Selenes has a 9.2mm ID / 14mm OD. If you find replacement fittings for that size tubing, there is the added complication that the tubing does not take a reset very well unless you cut back to fresh tube ends (very inconvenient at a Tee).

I've had better luck so far simply disassembling the fitting from the tube, applying 5200 sealant around the O-rings on the fitting (being careful to keep sealant away from the open ends of the fittings) and reassembling carefully.

Still, I'd like to find appropriate adapter fittings with pipe-thread ends to transition to straight PEX tubing. If anyone has found a source for those, I'd love to hear about it!

Interesting, when I was researching Pex for replumbing the boat I only saw Pex A and B. Never came across Pex AL Pex. After this thread, I now have learned something new. I ended up using Pex A because it allowed me to buy a cool Milwaukee expander tool!

You made an excellent choice. PEX expansion fittings are far quicker and more dependable than crimp or compression fittings. My Milwaukee expander tool has seen heavy use and never disappoints.

If only it were that simple. Pex-AL-Pex is not fitting-compatible with any PEX tubing. The fittings are Kitec, which has been largely discontinued following some class-action litigation. It's still easy enough to find Kitec adapter fittings in 1/2" and larger sizes, but the tubing used in the Selenes has a 9.2mm ID / 14mm OD. If you find replacement fittings for that size tubing, there is the added complication that the tubing does not take a reset very well unless you cut back to fresh tube ends (very inconvenient at a Tee).

I've had better luck so far simply disassembling the fitting from the tube, applying 5200 sealant around the O-rings on the fitting (being careful to keep sealant away from the open ends of the fittings) and reassembling carefully.

Still, I'd like to find appropriate adapter fittings with pipe-thread ends to transition to straight PEX tubing. If anyone has found a source for those, I'd love to hear about it!

I found that fittingsnvalves.com had a lot of pipe, fittings and valves that I bought for my project as I couldn't source them locally when I was doing my refit. They were very helpful as well.

Aha, the much-lamented Pex-AL-Pex! Where are you getting fittings to replaced those?

I ordered from company called Fittings Space although I ordered 1/2” fitting as that’s what the lines appeared to be. If they are metric then not sure where to go

Update: I measured existing lines with digital calipers and the OD of the existing lines are .63” or 16 mm which is consistent with published sizing for 1/2” pex al pex so half inch fittings will work.

Last edited:
I ordered from company called fittings space although I ordered 1/2” fitting as that’s what the lines appeared to be. If they are metric then not sure where to go

I'm familiar with Fittings.Space, and they're an excellent resource generally, but unfortunately not for anything smaller than the 1/2" ID tubing. The ID on my tubing is 9.2mm (23/64") which is much closer to 3/8". I'd be willing to try out a 3/8" Kitec adapter if I could find one.

What year is your Selene? Maybe your tubing is larger gauge than mine. If the OD is roughly 0.55" then you have the same tubing as mine, and those 1/2" couplers won't work.

I'm familiar with Fittings.Space, and they're an excellent resource generally, but unfortunately not for anything smaller than the 1/2" ID tubing. The ID on my tubing is 9.2mm (23/64") which is much closer to 3/8". I'd be willing to try out a 3/8" Kitec adapter if I could find one.

What year is your Selene? Maybe your tubing is larger gauge than mine. If the OD is roughly 0.55" then you have the same tubing as mine, and those 1/2" couplers won't work.

Our Selene is 2001 (first 53 built). OD on our tube is .63” measured with calipers. This matches spec for 1/2” line size.

I’ve not seen anything smaller than 1/2 offered by any vendors but maybe in your case maybe a call to a few vendors might yield results.

Our Selene is 2001 (first 53 built). OD on our tube is .63” measured with calipers. This matches spec for 1/2” line size.

I’ve not seen anything smaller than 1/2 offered by any vendors but maybe in your case maybe a call to a few vendors might yield results.

That's very curious. Our 47 is also a 2001, hull #7, and our fresh water plumbing differs from yours even though the two boats were likely being built at the same time by the same team. Glad to hear you've got suitable fittings for your repair!

Back
Top Bottom