Trawler Suggestions wanted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rherten

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Emelyn
Vessel Make
North Pacific 36
Looking for ideas for our next boat. We currently have a 36' NP trawler which is great for vacation cruising on the Pacific Northwest, but we're looking towards our next chapter. Extended blue water cruising to Alaska, around Vancouver Island, down west coast US and Mexico and possibly beyond. Possible multi year live aboard. If things go well our journeys may continue and go further offshore.

Every boat is a compromise. Too small and we won't have enough space, too big will bring more maintenance, more difficult to find transient moorage and more cost. The sweet spot is likely in the 40' to 48' range for us. We don't know how far our adventures will take us - a lot depends on the Admiral. Could be she has enough after a year, or maybe she wants to keep going, in which case we need a more capable boat. At the end of our journeys is it small and economical for us to hang onto, or does it mean a downsize?

So far here are our "needs"
- Trawler, efficient diesel, safe, reliable
- 2 stateroom, 2 heads
Large enough for the two of us plus our stuff, plus occasional guest(s)
- Some type of back-up propulsion. Wing engine? Twin? Generator tied in to drive? (Admiral requires piece of mind)
- Stabilization. Ideally stabilizers
- Tender, kayak storage
- Thruster(s)

And our "wants"
- Pilothouse
- Flybridge and/or usable upper deck space
- Portugeuse bridge

We have always been fans of Nordhavns (43' or 47') but are looking for other ideas. Ocean-worthy passage makers with stabilization and some endurance. Selene would fit the bill. Helmsman? American Tug? Looking for ideas and suggestions in the used boat market. Cost is a consideration - Many of the above boats are definitely on the high side of the cost equation.

We're on the hunt also. What a challenge. A friend has a Selene 48 which is actually 53 LOA. He loves it, cross ocean capable, ample space, 2 heads, and second SR is more bunk like. He has a wing engine on it and dislikes it as the maintenance is a bigger chore than the use or need of it. I believe he told me he's used the wing engine once out of necessity (has owned the boat for several years). I'd much prefer a PTO drive off a big generator instead of two engines. Some KK48s have those and/or could be add-ons.

There's so little on the market right now that if I were in your situation I'd just be looking at the local inventory and talking about specific boats rather than desired make/model.

The single/twin thing has been beaten to death - either is fine, I don't think you should eliminate a boat from consideration because of the configuration.

I'd do a YW search & go visit every single boat within driving range that meets your criteria, and maybe some that don't. One big question pops out: does it need to be FD, or is SD or planing hull a consideration? A lot of the pilothouses up in the PNW are SD (Navigator, OA, Fleming, Bayliner/Meridian). Every time I step on a new boat I learn something.

There's so little on the market right now that if I were in your situation I'd just be looking at the local inventory and talking about specific boats rather than desired make/model.

Agreed.

Other than the LOA you described a Flemming 55:

IMG_0255.jpg

Looking for ideas for our next boat. We currently have a 36' NP trawler which is great for vacation cruising on the Pacific Northwest, but we're looking towards our next chapter. Extended blue water cruising to Alaska, around Vancouver Island, down west coast US and Mexico and possibly beyond. Possible multi year live aboard. If things go well our journeys may continue and go further offshore.

Every boat is a compromise. Too small and we won't have enough space, too big will bring more maintenance, more difficult to find transient moorage and more cost. The sweet spot is likely in the 40' to 48' range for us. We don't know how far our adventures will take us - a lot depends on the Admiral. Could be she has enough after a year, or maybe she wants to keep going, in which case we need a more capable boat. At the end of our journeys is it small and economical for us to hang onto, or does it mean a downsize?

So far here are our "needs"

- Trawler, efficient diesel, safe, reliable

- 2 stateroom, 2 heads

Large enough for the two of us plus our stuff, plus occasional guest(s)

- Some type of back-up propulsion. Wing engine? Twin? Generator tied in to drive? (Admiral requires piece of mind)

- Stabilization. Ideally stabilizers

- Tender, kayak storage

- Thruster(s)

And our "wants"

- Pilothouse

- Flybridge and/or usable upper deck space

- Portugeuse bridge

We have always been fans of Nordhavns (43' or 47') but are looking for other ideas. Ocean-worthy passage makers with stabilization and some endurance. Selene would fit the bill. Helmsman? American Tug? Looking for ideas and suggestions in the used boat market. Cost is a consideration - Many of the above boats are definitely on the high side of the cost equation.
Alaska to Maine is what I'd call coastal pasaagemaking. You don't need a Selene or Nordhavn. You may want one as they are nice boats with decent resale (Nordhavn especially). But in the $500k range, there are dozens of options. TF'er Hippocampus started a similar boat quest a couple years ago and ended up with a Nordic Tug 42 with Seakeeper gyro stabilization. Certainly capable boat and could easily make the trek between Alaska and Mexico. TF'er OC Diver puts something like 5k miles per year on his Independence 45 headed from the Midwest to Florida. Another that could do serious coastal pasaagemaking to Alaska if desired. Defever 44/48/49 are others and often stabilized. Heck, KSanders took his Bayliner 4788 from SE Alaska to La Paz (3000nms) last year and will be headed back to Ensenada (800nms) for the summer before returning to La Paz. There are some very nice motoryacht style boats that can make the run too - doesn't have to be a Nordhavn et al.

You can spend a long time looking for The Boat. Or you can refine your criteria to suit a desired lifestyle and suddenly there are many options.

Good luck.

Peter

Last edited:

The single/twin thing has been beaten to death - either is fine, I don't think you should eliminate a boat from consideration because of the configuration.

I'd do a YW search & go visit every single boat within driving range that meets your criteria, and maybe some that don't. One big question pops out: does it need to be FD, or is SD or planing hull a consideration? A lot of the pilothouses up in the PNW are SD (Navigator, OA, Fleming, Bayliner/Meridian). Every time I step on a new boat I learn something.
Thanks for the feedback. Likely FD but not ruling out SD. Having higher speed on tap would be an asset when navigating stronger currents or getting out of sticky situations, but comes at a cost. Redundancy is as much a practical consideration as piece of mind, particularly for my partner. Unfortunately this significantly limits the options. Perhaps the best advice is to keep an open mind and view as many boats as possible.

Alaska to Maine is what I'd call coastal pasaagemaking. You don't need a Selene or Nordhavn. You may want one as they are nice boats with decent resale (Nordhavn especially). But in the $500k range, there are dozens of options. TF'er Hippocampus started a similar boat quest a couple years ago and ended up with a Nordic Tug 42 with Seakeeper gyro stabilization. Certainly capable boat and could easily make the trek between Alaska and Mexico. TF'er OC Diver puts something like 5k miles per year on his Independence 45 headed from the Midwest to Florida. Another that could do serious coastal pasaagemaking to Alaska if desired. Defever 44/48/49 are others and often stabilized. Heck, KSanders took his Bayliner 4788 from SE Alaska to La Paz (3000nms) last year and will be headed back to Ensenada (800nms) for the summer before returning to La Paz. There are some very nice motoryacht style boats that can make the run too - doesn't have to be a Nordhavn et al.

You can spend a long time looking for The Boat. Or you can refine your criteria to suit a desired lifestyle and suddenly there are many options.

Good luck.

Peter

Thanks for your feedback. Coastal passagemaking is a good way to describe the mission. Blue water passagemaking is more of a dream, but you never know!

Stabilizers would be an asset even for coastal passagemaking, but this limits the field. Seakeeper could be an option as you suggest. I've seen people install passive stabilizers but not sure how effective those are.

Last edited:

I almost pulled the trigger on one in 2019 that was being shown at trawlerfest Baltimore. They wanted $630,000 for it and it was immaculate. Wife vetoed and saved my bacon since Covid "paused" 80% of my business for almost 2 years. One is still on my radar for when we retire and rent out the house to go cruise full time.

Before getting excited by any specific make or model, look honestly at your finances. Why... because dreaming about a $600,000 boat when you have a $300,000 budget will only lead to disappointment. No need to push the budget.

Any boat can cruise up and down the coast in comfort and safety.

My friend Doug just returned home to Seward Alaska on the north side of the Gulf of Alaska in his 30' willard. Him and I left in our boats over a year ago. He in his Willard and me in my Bayliner 4788 pilothouse. We traveled as far as La Paz Baja where I decided to make a life, and he returned home to Alaska.

In my journeys I was very rarely uncomfortable, and never afraid for my safety. The trick is to be a good captain and pick your travel days. There are no prizes for the captain that braves the largest seas. The prize is for the captain that stayed in port and watched the "better" captains get their butts kicked.

So many focus on the boat, and fail to focus on their lives as the barrier to a cruiser lifestyle. Remove the life barriers, buy a boat that is comfortable, and go cruising.

Make it to La Paz and the margaritas are on me. We are easy to find... As you enter Marina La Paz we are the first boat on the left.

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback. Coastal passagemaking is a good way to describe the mission. Blue water passagemaking is more of a dream, but you never know!

Stabilizers would be an asset even for coastal passagemaking, but this limits the field. Seakeeper could be an option as you suggest. I've seen people install passive stabilizers but not sure how effective those are.

Personally, stabilizers are mandotory for coastal passagemaking on a full or semi-displacement boat. Planing boats like KSander's Bayliner 4788 are pretty wide and low and are actually fairly stable even at displacement speeds. But they are often designed to minimize weight which means reduced fuel capacity. That said, KSander's wrote extensively about his trip to La Paz, including a stop in Mag Bay (Baja) where he took on fuel, albeit at a high price. Still cheaper than buying a new boat.

Requiring stabilizers shrinks the pool of available boats, but it's not insurmountable. May take a while longer. But it's worth it.

There are dozens of threads on stabilization. Passive roll-chocks show some reduction but not much. Really need one of the proven systems, perhaps one of the newer ideas such as Magnus system. But an active stabilization system is needed in my opinion. Or wilingness to retrofit - Seakeepers are rarely able to retro-fitted to an existing boat. Easiest option for retrofit are paravanes.

There are likely a lot of powerboats in La Paz. They weren't built there so they came on their own bottom. Guessing vast majority more closely resemble Kevin's Bayliner than a Nordhavn.

It's not about the boat. It's about the dream. Would I chose a Bayliner to go to La Paz? Probably not. If I had a Bayliner and wanted to go to La Paz, would I sell it for something else? Definitely not - no reason. The short-comings are manageable.

Peter

This whole idea of what makes a "good" coastal cruiser gets so much attention here on TF sometimes i have to giggle a bit.

Sitting in La Paz, at the entrance of the marina I see every boat. Spending time here I meet many of the cruisers. Not wanna be cruisers, but folks that really did it.

Far and away the biggest take away I can offer is get your life together for cruising. That is different for everyone, but the idea is you NEED to be ready to cruise, and the boat you have is far less important than you might imagine.

Yet... So many focus on the boat, and fail to focus on their lives.

Are you really ready to leave it all behind?
What about your house and it's mortgage?
How will you support yourself?
Do you have debt and possessions that need to deal with?
What about your family?

Cruising is a lifestyle choice, and EVERY little thing needs to work out for you to be able to leave.

The boat you choose is honestly a small part of the equation.

I almost pulled the trigger on one in 2019 that was being shown at trawlerfest Baltimore. They wanted $630,000 for it and it was immaculate. Wife vetoed and saved my bacon since Covid "paused" 80% of my business for almost 2 years. One is still on my radar for when we retire and rent out the house to go cruise full time.

Yeah they are absolute dream boats for sure... hard to find at that price point too.

Maybe a bit precious for full time cruising? I appreciate the comments that the boat is a relatively low priority in the scheme of things. It is more fun to discuss though than personal finance, especially when you're suggesting they buy a Fleming :)

Since the OP asked about boats, and relevant to the Fleming, one other consideration is exterior woodwork, particularly in the tropics. I'd suggest that unless you like varnishing (I'm told such people exist), avoid exterior teak and also teak decks. You can paint over the wood pretty easily (as I have) but be sure you'd be okay with the aesthetic. I couldn't bear to paint the teak on a Fleming, but I also couldn't bear to keep it up myself. Hence "dream boat".

Consider a 48' Hatteras LRC. The boats are old, but substantially built. Prices are typically $225K-$250K. They check many of the boxes you desire.

Back
Top Bottom