A trawler for experienced sailing cruisers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cthoops

We have been cruising full-time on our sailboat since 2018, and we’re starting to think about switching to a trawler. Just like sailboats, there are a ton of different trawlers out there, so I thought I’d ask this group for some suggestions.

Our cruising grounds are up and down the ICW and over to the Bahamas, so it doesn’t need to cross oceans. Mr. Cthoops is 6’4” so we must have standing headroom at least in the main salon and the head. We’d prefer not to crawl into a v-berth so we’d like a standard queen that has room on at least one side for getting in and out. Under $200,000, and somewhere between 35-42 feet. If you could list some models that meet this criteria, we’d be able to really focus our research.

Thanks so much!

That will be tough with that size and price. Bayliner's with diesels might be worth looking at. They have good layouts along with headroom, but I'm thinking you might have to up the size to around 45 feet to get the headroom. The Bayliner 4588 has 6'6" headroom

I agree that headroom might be the biggest challenge. My own boat ticks many of the boxes except for gas engines and headroom (6'3" on the centerline, just over 6' at the edges, 6' through doorways). The aft cabin has a king and a good example is under $75k though.

I think your best bet is going to be looking at what's available rather than trying to find a specific model that you'd want. In that price range (as with sailboats) you'd rather have an impeccably maintained boat than a poorly maintained boat with a good brand name. And as a 6'2" former sailor I have found that it's really hard to get reliable headroom measurements that correlate to the feel & comfort of the vessel. This is particularly true with sailboats but also with trawlers (sailboats are curvier, so midship headroom can be great while headroom standing in front of the galley stove, for example, could be unacceptable).

I'd suggest posting som results from a YachtWorld search in your area, budget & size range - it'll be easier for folks here to say "yeah cross that one off your list - headroom in the salon is poor", saving you a trip.

One other thought: I suspect you'll probably *not* want an aft cabin boat - likelihood is salon headroom will likely be better without an aft cabin, and sounds like you only need 1-2 cabins anyway. Water access is much better without the aft cabin.

Hatteras LRC's have more than enough headroom for you, but finding one in decent shape within your budget could be pretty tough.
The Great Harbor GH37 has around 7' of headroom, I believe. It is a pretty strange-looking boat - to me, at least - but owners seem to love them.
The last long trip on a sailboat for me was in a 42' sloop going from FL to NY, when weather forced us to do a lot of it in the ICW. Having to use the motor so much, and waste time waiting for bridge openings that others could just motor through, made switching to power an easy decision. Not to mention staying comfortable while driving from inside in stormy weather!
Good luck, and enjoy the search!
Peter

IMG_3708.jpeg

We have been cruising full-time on our sailboat since 2018, and we’re starting to think about switching to a trawler. Just like sailboats, there are a ton of different trawlers out there, so I thought I’d ask this group for some suggestions.

Our cruising grounds are up and down the ICW and over to the Bahamas, so it doesn’t need to cross oceans. Mr. Cthoops is 6’4” so we must have standing headroom at least in the main salon and the head. We’d prefer not to crawl into a v-berth so we’d like a standard queen that has room on at least one side for getting in and out. Under $200,000, and somewhere between 35-42 feet. If you could list some models that meet this criteria, we’d be able to really focus our research.

Thanks so much!
You can't go wrong with a Willard 40. Full displacement (sailboat) hull with rounded stern (wonderful in following seas :)) Single diesel, a large rudder, 600 gal fuel, 300 water, average 2 gal/hr. Large V forward + a cozy double birth located athwart midship plus a good size head with plenty headroom throughout. Average 2 gal/hour at 7 knots. Visit the Willard Owners Group for possible boats for sale --

Have you considered having your legs shortened???

Kadey Krogen Manatee 36. Displacement hull, easy handling, plenty of headroom, amazing space and storage, just have to get past no side decks. I had no problem with this mostly single handing, once I figured out how to set lines.

Grand Banks 36 Classic 1988 or newer will have an aft cabin with a double berth as requested. Most height areas should be OK. Price should be within your budget. 36'10" registered length. Just over 40' LOA.

I think your best bet is going to be looking at what's available rather than trying to find a specific model that you'd want. In that price range (as with sailboats) you'd rather have an impeccably maintained boat than a poorly maintained boat with a good brand name. And as a 6'2" former sailor I have found that it's really hard to get reliable headroom measurements that correlate to the feel & comfort of the vessel. This is particularly true with sailboats but also with trawlers (sailboats are curvier, so midship headroom can be great while headroom standing in front of the galley stove, for example, could be unacceptable).

I'd suggest posting som results from a YachtWorld search in your area, budget & size range - it'll be easier for folks here to say "yeah cross that one off your list - headroom in the salon is poor", saving you a trip.

One other thought: I suspect you'll probably *not* want an aft cabin boat - likelihood is salon headroom will likely be better without an aft cabin, and sounds like you only need 1-2 cabins anyway. Water access is much better without the aft cabin.
On our 35' Fu Hwa, the salon and the aft cabin have headroom in excess of 6 feet. Most CHBs that I have seen have an access door in the rear of the aft cabin and only one door in the salon. That aft door takes up space. We enter and exit our vessel from either the swim platform or one of the salon doors. The bed is a queen but only accessible from one side, a drawback.

Thanks so much!
I just posted for sale an Island Trader 46 named Whiskey River which may be an ideal match to your specifications. If you can’t locate that posting you can reach me directly at mdondra@verizon.net

You'll never find a GH37 under $200K.

Think your first decision is full displacement (like a sailboat monohull), semi displacement (like most non EU-A) trawlers or planing.
We struggled with this basic decision when switching from blue water sail to power. More experienced and knowledgeable friends convinced us to go semi displacement. Pluses are
Usually shallower draft
Usually weight less
But the biggy is ability to exceed hull speed. That means making that lock or bridge on time. Being able to anchor or dock in daylight. And making more distance in open weather windows.
Downsides where full displacement excels include
More payload without effecting ride or safety.
More efficient.
More seaworthy
Greater range
Some use planing hulls as cruisers but it’s less common. So before looking at brands you need to pick FD or SD

There is a Hatteras 48LRC in Brunswick GA that appears to be in good condition. One TF member inspected it pretty closely last year and gave it good comments. At under $200k as well and a boat you can take just about anywhere and be very comfortable. Boat name is AfterMath so just Google it.

Thanks so much!
Take a look at Mainship 39/40 and 43 aft cabin and sedan models. Semi-displacement hulls. Lots of headroom. Very popular Great Loop boats.

Thanks so much!

Hello,
I’m Canadian and just finish the Great Loop including 2 months in Bahamas 2 weeks ago with my Bayliner 4550, 1988 that could check many of your boxes.
I own that boat for 11 years with many improvements over the years including 600W solar pannels, 800Amp/h Lithium batterie, 24V bow thruster, wood flooring ( no carpet)…
The boat is located in the Thousand Islands Canadian side but we can squedule a visite on the NY state side if you don’t have passport.
It is now for sell at $125,000 CND.
This is less than $100,000 US.
I’m selling the boat for a bigger one.
You can contact me at: serge22beausejour@ gmail.com

Back
Top Bottom