Tile in the shower???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
Has anybody had success with tile in the shower of a boat?

I am remodeling one of the heads and tile would be great if you could get it to stay on the wall and not crack the grout joints.

I have room to add a layer of Shluter Kerdi-board so that would tend to de-couple the substrate from the movement of the boat.

Anybody done this had had it work out over time?

I've seen it in pictures on line. I would think it would be asking for trouble...and also be difficult to clean.

Have you considered Corian sheet? (or similar)? Comes in all flavors and styles.

3 years, no problems. We used the Kerdi system as a bond breaker.

Attachments

• Shower from Aft Cabin.jpg
    Shower from Aft Cabin.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 48
I’m not sure I’d try it. We’ve been slammed by waves where the whole boat shook.

Also, what about added weight and thickness? In the bathroom tubs and showers I’ve remodeled, I’ve always used cement board then the tile. The added thickness is probably 5/8” to 3/4” total (backer board, cement and tile). The cement board comes in 1/4” and 1/2”. I redid a bathroom where the po used 1/4”. The wall flexed and the grout was all cracked.

I didn't lay any cement board at all - just the kerdi membrane. I did use QuartzLock flexible grout instead of your normal home depot bag. Maybe that's why it works just fine. Modern systems seem to be much more successful than the old school. We also have tile and marble countertops. No cracking and we've been in big seas and hauled out since then.

Very nice! Ive never used Keri. What’s behind it?

Plywood. I widened the cracks between pieces and filled with thickened epoxy. Then a thin layer of mortar. Then Kerdi (orange waterproof membrane that's fuzzy so it sticks to the mortar). Then a layer of mortar that the tiles are stuck on with. Then quartzlock grout in the cracks. I didn't even caulk the corners yet. I used grout and it hasn't cracked at all. I planned to caulk them after but never needed to.

I was thinking of using kerdiboard as a backer. I just talked with the Shluter area rep and he has folks that are using kerdiboard, but of course he said that there would be no warranty due to movement.

This is great that folks have been sucessful!

We have two tiled showers which I believe are original build and in excellent shape. The boat was built in 1989 and stoutly built, 45 tons, which helps maintain rigidity. Not sure what is behind the tile but probably fiberglass over plywood with whatever bedding system was around at the time. Surface looks like normal grout.

Pictures are of the forward shower. Apologies but tsome rotate when uploaded.

Attachments

• 9CF9AE48-C5F5-4DB8-8421-5C2FBD6FA45D.jpeg
    9CF9AE48-C5F5-4DB8-8421-5C2FBD6FA45D.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 45
  • DD00629C-8433-4B19-9A10-1B52DC175DAD.jpeg
    DD00629C-8433-4B19-9A10-1B52DC175DAD.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 96C66310-1284-4369-835C-EBFFFAEA9E31.jpeg
    96C66310-1284-4369-835C-EBFFFAEA9E31.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 35
Tile counter tops and shower,.
No problems in the 6 years that I have had the boat.
I think they were done when the boat was refitted for pleasure
in 1959 - 1960.

Ted

Thanks for all the responses guys!!!

Go for it Kevin. If it works on your flexible flyer then I’ll know it’s safe for me to try. LOL.

45 years with my tiles. After the new toilet and the new settee and the front cabin trim...some paint...soon......

Go for it Kevin. If it works on your flexible flyer then I’ll know it’s safe for me to try. LOL.

thats the problem.

While i really like my Bayliner 4788 is is not a 100,000 pound boat.

I just took a thrashing across the Juan de Fuca Stait today. Popped all my closet doors open. Don’t know if the boat flexed or if the clothes got enough momentum to knock the doors open. At least the furniture stayed in place, when the furniture travels you know it was rough.

I just took a thrashing across the Juan de Fuca Stait today. Popped all my closet doors open. Don’t know if the boat flexed or if the clothes got enough momentum to knock the doors open. At least the furniture stayed in place, when the furniture travels you know it was rough.

Yep! thasts why I’m going to use formica in my shower.

Variety of colors and patterns, and it’s 100% reliable.

I put tile in the shower in my sailboat that I built in 1977. When I sold in 88, it had hung together perfectly well. That was before Kerdi.
I have done a lot of tiling using Kerdi in the last 20 yrs. On my front porch, after the Cetol finish failed, on cedar 4x12s, I tiled it. when the grout lines cracked after a couple of winters, I pulled it up and added Kerdi. So far, it is better than no Kerdi, but I now have a couple of failing grout lines, so am ready to try some epoxy/grout. In all other applications, the Kerdi has kept things looking like new.

why not do 1/4" quartz slab (sheets) that can be bonded to plywood for a bulletproof wall?

hollywood

Back
Top Bottom