Thinking of buying this boat....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adopo

Guru
Vessel Name
Calypso
Vessel Make
1981 Fairchild Scout
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2009/cheoy-lee-serenity-68-3723567/

http://www.yachtforums.com/review/cheoy-lee-68-long-range-cruiser.11331/

So, I am close to making a decision. I have posted on another section here about the engines, wondering about the C7s as I have read they have had issues. One article calls it he worse engine Cat made if I am reading that correctly. I know this is a marine engine, the other forums where I found this were related to big rigs, still however C7s.

The beauty of this boat is it is in really good condition, and has only 640 hours. That also could mean the systems are under utilized meaning more is sometimes better for the mechanical equipment. And I know some will see this boat as being “dumpy” in shape. I am also wondering about the motion of the displacement hull, even though it has stablizers. I have a small full displacement trawler for the lake I am on, and can only imagine one that is 68 feet. So, overall the boat just appears to need some detail work as in buffing, bottom paint, Isenglas, cushions, and electronic upgrades.

I have had some brokers and others say they would not own a Cheoy Lee, but from looking at the way they are built, and from reviewing the link to the forum above, this one appears to be well built with little wood to rot.

Anyone out there with a CL 66? Any chance there is a 68 Serenity owner out there? What are your thoughts and comments on this design?

Regarding Mr. Hyde, the other boat I am considering is a Sabre 54 Flybridge.

Thanks

Attachments

• 414BF7D2-535A-4B83-A6B9-B22EB4D3657C.jpeg
    414BF7D2-535A-4B83-A6B9-B22EB4D3657C.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 45
I think its a nice looking boat, and it has a good big sized set of stabilisers on it (Naiad 254, with big fins). There used to be a similar model near us in the marina in Brisbane, which I always liked the look of.

We had the same C7 ACERT 454hp engines in our 2006 GB until last year (we repowered with Cummins QSC 8.3). The cause of the demise of our C7s was saltwater ingress via failed aftercoolers very early in the life of the engines when the boat was owned by a previous owner. Then, 12 years later, all the issues from salt water having gotten into the engine cores came home to roost under our ownership...

The original aftercoolers fitted to those higher power C7s were a problem, no doubt about that. CAT released updated aftercoolers in about 2011, and the updated coolers seemed to be more robust and 'cure' the problem. In Australia each updated aftercooler system costs about AUD $12,000.00 plus installation. So make enquiries of the boat you are looking at to ensure (a) no past history of any aftercooler failure and (b) evidence that the new style updated aftercoolers have been fitted.

One thing to note about the ad for the boat you are looking at - in the engine section it says the engines are 'fresh water cooled'. If they are C7 ACERT at 454hp, then those are salt water aftercooled engines with a heat exchanger for the (fresh) jacket water (obviously).

The other known issue with the C7s (and C9s) is the HEUI pump system. You can easily buy replacement pumps from CAT, they arent cheap but they are readily available.

If you can satisfy yourself about the 'aftercooler issue' on the boat you are looking at, and if you make a price allowance for two new HEUI pumps, then the C7s are otherwise quite a lively and clean powerplant. I would not have changed mine if I didnt have to.

Hope this assists.

Hamish.

I have had some brokers and others say they would not own a Cheoy Lee, but from looking at the way they are built, and from reviewing the link to the forum above, this one appears to be well built with little wood to rot.
[/QUOTE]

I would ask them to qualify that statement. I think there is a big difference from a Cheoy Lee with 1,000 screws in a 40 yr old teak deck and what you're showing in the picture.

A lot of folks say the same thing about Bayliner's with rotten decks, stringers and transoms, when what they mean is the ever popular runabout sitting uncovered for seasons in the backyard of first time boat owners who claim "It's a boat, it's MADE to get wet".

I personnally don't like the C7 because of the HEUI injection system. The system works very well an is quiet but like it was said above the high pressure pumps are known for failure. They are just a renamed 3126B in my opinion.
The Cummins QSB more reliable I would say.

She is a serious long range cruiser with a 3000nm range and a Portuguese bridge. I like the stand up engine room with the sea chest. Big galley and a well organized saloon. I have an issue with the imitation wood over FCRI which is very cool but when it gets scratched or worse you probably won't be able to replace it. It looks really nice in the pictures. I really like her look and they used serious electronics - even a KVH Tracphone. I noticed that there is no stern thruster. They added NIAD stabilizers but no stern thruster? Even glendenning for the power cord. The pilot house electronics are laid out very nicely.

For that kind of money I'd go with an early to mid 2000s Nordhavn 62 or 63 but that's me. But I would also be proud to own that Cheoy Lee. I think they did an outstanding job with the Serenity model. She looks like a modern trawler with classic lines. With the round stern she should do well in following seas.

I wonder how she would look with reverse raked pilot house windows?

Last edited:
Looks like a damn fine vessel to me - inside and out. I wouldn't waste too much energy musing over the engines. If you can afford the boat, you can afford the odd engineer's attention. I love it. :flowers:

Looks like a damn fine vessel to me - inside and out. I wouldn't waste too much energy musing over the engines. If you can afford the boat, you can afford the odd engineer's attention. I love it. :flowers:

I agree with Peter.

There is a highly recommended Cat wizard in FL, name like Tim Russo ??, who could do a pre offer look and then a complete engine survey. Are relevant engine maintenance records available now?

Nice looking boat, surprinsingly low engine hours for a 2009 yacht, at this price level I would also consider a Selene, not a big fan of canoe stern...

Theses Cheoy Lee are beautiful boats. Looking that the pictures, they are set up for corporate entertainment, perhaps a character???
Per engine problems, EVERY engine make has the potential for problems. The key is proper and ongoing maintenance.
A stern and bow thruster will go a long way to making docking easier. If you can only have one thruster then a strong bow thruster is necessary on a boat this size IMO.
If you are expecting comfort underway, long distance e, then, a stabilize system is almost a necessary item. I still prefer a hyd operated system.
Basically, it is perfect for 2 couples, and a husband wife professional staff.
Alas, I could not appreciate this boat.... I figure if I am fortunate, I might get at most, 5 more years of boating. Plus I dont currently have 4 friends who want to do long distance cruising. If I bought that boat, I am sure I would immediately have at least 6 new friends. LOL

Last edited:
Nice looking boat, surprinsingly low engine hours for a 2009 yacht, at this price level I would also consider a Selene, not a big fan of canoe stern...

Yes, have looked at the Selene, nice boats. Funny, I swore I would not buy boat from China, just because of this horrible past year and some of the things I read about quality in layup on at least one particular Selene. Well....the interesting thing is after reading the yachtforum article, I noted the CL pleasure crafts are built in China, not Hong Kong. So much for that sentiment lol.

Thank you, I just texted him.

If Tim is available and gives a green light this would be a very nice vessel to own. Regarding engines, don't be surprised if after cooler cleaning or change out is needed.

Also the relationship between exhaust spillover and sea water level is relevant. Thus a good look at turbo innards would be helpful at some point. Those engines sit very low so an anti siphon loop on exhaust run may be worth looking at if not already installed.

Low hours are a draw, maybe. It is still a ten year old set of lightly used engines that should have already seen lots of time related PM.

If Tim is available and gives a green light this would be a very nice vessel to own. Regarding engines, don't be surprised if after cooler cleaning or change out is needed.

Also the relationship between exhaust spillover and sea water level is relevant. Thus a good look at turbo innards would be helpful at some point. Those engines sit very low so an anti siphon loop on exhaust run may be worth looking at if not already installed.

Low hours are a draw, maybe. It is still a ten year old set of lightly used engines that should have already seen lots of time related PM.

Well, just got off the phone and really do like Tim, kind of guy you want in your corner. No nonsense and to the point.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom