Sikaflex over windlass motor terminals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simi 60

Guru
Vessel Make
Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Installing the new motor in windlass tonight.
Previously they were sealed with liquid PVC after tightening.

Opens can of liquid PVC and it's solid, not about to buy another on short notice.

If I assemble using noalox, is there any real reason why a smear of Sikaflex over the top to keep any moisture out won't work?

I have that onboard and opened.

Can you get some adhesive lined shrink tube on the connections?

Can you get some adhesive lined shrink tube on the connections?

No

3832027-maxwell-mxw-p12072-ppm-tif

Last edited:
I guess that the Sika, while it may not stick to the coating, could be taken off if it doesn’t stick well. I have had good success with Boeshield on battery terminals.

Just grease them. you have dielectric grease on board right?

I agree, dielectric grease. And if the connections are in a reasonably well sealed motor housing (like the Maxwell horizontal units I'm familiar with), it shouldn't take much to keep the connections clean, as they shouldn't ever directly get wet.

So no one has a reason why not?
So sikaflex it is.

Greetings,
Mr. S. 2 reasons to not use Sikaflex:

1) It is opaque. IF any corrosion occurs underneath the coating, you may not detect it.
2) One less thing to have to deal with on disassembly.

A coat of ANY grease would be better IMO. Easy to monitor the condition of the terminal and cheap/easy to re-apply.

Greetings,
Mr. S. 2 reasons to not use Sikaflex:

1) It is opaque. IF any corrosion occurs underneath the coating, you may not detect it.
2) One less thing to have to deal with on disassembly.

A coat of ANY grease would be better IMO. Easy to monitor the condition of the terminal and cheap/easy to re-apply.

But it's not easy to unbolt and remove 208 lb of windlass from the deck to inspect
Trowel it on, seal it shut and easy enough to pick off the lump at a later stage.

Jobs done, in between rain showers, last bolt cranked down as it went torrential.
Expected severe weather this afternoon so no choice but to run with what he have at hand..

Good idea. Please post with results. I have some open terminals that I'd like to cover.

Peter

Liquid PVC would have been my first choice
But
Sometimes we have to Mcguyver an alternative.
Can't carry everything all the time.

Sure would value an update in the future, success or regrets.

Back
Top Bottom