San Diego to San Francisco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Takoradi

Vessel Name
The Janie C
Vessel Make
Uniflite 42
I live in northern California and when the market comes back, I intend to buy a used ~42' twin screw diesel trawler most likely in southern CA. My intention is to bring it back north on it's own hull and since I have never made a coastal cruise, I need some advice and direction.

What time of year is best to make the northern journey? (I'm thinking late spring/early summer?) I know I'll be going against prevailing currents and would like an idea of what to expect in terms of weather.

I am experienced in navigating and managing a twin screw 35' convertible in the Delta single handed but not along the coast. If I choose to captain the boat alone, on a scale of 1 (no pucker) to 10 (BIG pucker) what kind of pucker factor should I be expecting? In other words, is this trip a walk in the park or more like a leisurely stroll thru New York right now without an N95 mask?

Thanks all for your thoughts.

Tak

There are cruise guides covering such a journey. ... Don't recommend it single-handed. Ideally have a crew of four, but it has been done with two with coastal stops.

There are cruise guides covering such a journey. ... Don't recommend it single-handed. Ideally have a crew of four, but it has been done with two with coastal stops.

Thank you Mark. That's the kind of info I need!

Oh yeah I'm planning on making several stops. Don't intend to be in a hurry. (Love the pronunciation guide to "Carquinez" btw. When I was in socal, I remember hilariously listening to newcomers trying out "Cahuenga" for the first time!)

Tak

First, your insurance company might require you to have a captain on board. Second, it could be pucker factor 1 or 10 just depends on the winds. If you give yourself plenty of time and watch the weather it should be an easy trip. Put your self on a schedule and the weather will take advantage of you, pucker factor 10.

San Diego to San Francisco is the easiest of west coast trips. You can do the trip with no overnights if you wish and the weather windows are larger than farther north. Still, never under estimate the weather.

I am not trying to discourage you. You shouldn’t be scared to make the trip but take it very seriously.

I was on ships, tugs and commercial fishing and probably look at it differently.

In my opinion the ocean south of SF is flat except for storms. Mid summer to mid fall is the best time as I remember. It's better to run in deep water, over 100 fathoms, and stay off the headlands. The currents there along with the swells can make big waves in a hurry. As long as you have good navigation abilities and are prepared for fog, and mechanical problems, the journey is easy.
I'd worry about a boat I had no history with and probably sat for some time. Possible bad fuel would be a worry. Use a good fuel conditioner and take spare fuel filters. I'd do an extended local sea trial of at least 20 miles.
If the boat doesn't have an autopilot, buy one. It's like having an extra person and can steer a comfortable course while you're below trying to change fuel filters. Make sure you know how before leaving.
I solo a lot, but I've been on the water a long time. SD to SF is about 500 nm. Unless you buy a sport fisher, you'll be running at 8-9 knots maximum. That's about 3 days, how will you sleep? It's 2 days in my boat, I stop and anchor where it's convenient. Usually you can find people who will make the trip for the adventure and just cost food and expenses. It would be a lot easier with another person. Even if they just cook and give you short breaks at the wheel.

San Diego to Bay area

I have made that trip numerous times in boats between 38 and 58 feet. You need to pick a good weather window and be prepared to potentially sit in port for a week if it gets blown out. Early summer is good if you don't have fog. Winter is not ideal due to storms and more rapid weather changes. Bad weather or major mechanical problems and it can be a 10.
It takes about 65-70 hours of motoring assuming 7.5 knots. I would suggest a minimum of 3 people and all should have some experience. If weather is perfect and zero boat problems it is no big deal and probably a 3 on your scale. But that requires a lot of preparation. If you buy the boat here in soCal I would plan to actively use it for a few months and get it ready. Feel free to PM if you want to chat more about this.

I have done that tip a number of times, both under sail and power. You can do a "shake down" of the boat between SD and Santa Barbara. After SB it gets a bit more remote and anchorages are few. I have done it with crews of 2 to 4, Im comfortable with 2 if the other person is very capable.. if not I wound have 2 others. I typically run Santa Barbara to SF non stop.. unless its snotty then add a stop at Moro Bay and somewhere in Monterey Bay. My last trip up was a fast cat passenger ferry delivery where we launched the boat Saturday am in San Diego, over nighted in Morro Bay then SF the next day. Had 35kts with 12' 5 sec. off Half Moon Bay that made for a uncomfortable trip in a 35 kt cruise boat, had a one day weather window to do the trip or the window would close for 5+ days so I had to go.. not fun. Its a fun section of the coast and feels remote so it typically makes the trip unique
Good Luck
HOLLYWOOD

San Francisco famously has a 3-4 week summer that starts sometime in mid to late September. This high pressure produces very flat seas along the central coast. Running is very easy. Chuck Hawley of West Marine and a well known west coast sailor once told me he thought April was the most consistently windy month, and I tend to agree. Not the biggest winds of the winter months, but winds blow hard and sustained. By mid may, summer pattern sinks in with afternoon winds in the mid 20s (gusts to 30s) and short steep seas from the NNW. So there are normally 4-6 hours of bumpy running.

Assuming the boat is strong with adequate range, I too prefer running non-stop as any stop adds a fair amount of distance/time, and timing tide/current for entrance and exit can be a challenge. Plus I personally like the rhythm of running 24/7. If a quick rest stop is needed, I prefer anchoring in Port San Luis to Morro Bay as there are no issues with current or tide at PSL, though Morro Bay has a well deserved reputation as a friendly stopping point. Crew of 3 is ideal with two 3-hr watches during daylight, and a 2-hr watch night. Everyone gets decent sleep and it's not crowded.

From SD, you can aim almost directly for Pt Conception /Arguello with a jog between Santa Rosa and Santa Cruz Islands. Headed north, I tried to time my departure so I would round these points around midnight to reduce chance of winds. Down side is this can put you off LB and LA harbors at night with quite a bit of ship traffic. You will also cross the separation lane as you approach Pt Conception when ships are moving pretty fast. Easier now with AIS, but still recommend crossing at right angle to minimize angst

Running north during normal weather conditions with strong afternoon winds, I run the beach route during daylight hours - staying a couple miles off the surf line knocks down much of the effect of wind. At night, prudence dictates moving offshore due to traps but the wind normally does at night anyway. BTW - boat should have line cutters on the shafts. There are fewer traps than other parts of the country, but they are out there and in surprisingly deep water.

I personally prefer the Don and Reanne Douglass book to Brian Fagan's book.

Weather. I think the hardest part is just simply leaving. There is virtually always a small craft advisory in the pacific coast, so it's very easy to perpetually wait until day after tomorrow. Having an experienced person aboard will help with this if nothing else

Its a great run. Good luck with your boat purchase.

Peter
(ex delivery skipper out of SF)

THANK YOU!

I grew up in Ghana where goats are highly prized. The advice & thoughts here are exactly what I wanted to know and definitely 3 goats worth!

Tak

If you've never been out in the ocean for a sustained period, you need to consider how you might react to motion sickness. 1/3 of the way into a 500 mile offshore trip is a bad time to find out. Some people are unaffected while others are completely debilitated. It isn't the same as running around in protected water.

If you've never been out in the ocean for a sustained period, you need to consider how you might react to motion sickness.

Good point. When I delivered yachts up/down the Pacific Coast (well, mostly up), I was often short-handed with just a single crew. Having one of us down hard would stop the boat. Personally, I've never been seasick. But I've felt the effects start to well-up and know I could be.

If the trip got to be a bit rough, we would often take a half-dose of meclazine (Bonine). Small enough to avoid most of the side effects, but enough of a prophylactic dose to head-off seasickness.

I live in northern California and when the market comes back, I intend to buy a used ~42' twin screw diesel trawler most likely in southern CA. My intention is to bring it back north on it's own hull and since I have never made a coastal cruise, I need some advice and direction.

Tak

You’re waiting for the prices to go up, and are you 100% sure you will have dockage available? Lack of dockage at all (much less someplace pretty and convenient to anywhere worth going) has been a problem in California since ‘forever’. Go over to Marrotta in Sausalito and buy a boat that has a slip.

Back
Top Bottom