Running a watermaker in the Chesapeake Bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whitesides

Vessel Name
Neptune
Vessel Make
DeFever 72
We are heading up the East Coast next month to summer and explore the Chesapeake

We prefer to anchor out 60% of the time. I know it is a huge generalization, but can you run the watermaker safely and without excessive clogging?

Thanks

Randy
Neptune
FeFever72

We are heading up the East Coast next month to summer and explore the Chesapeake

We prefer to anchor out 60% of the time. I know it is a huge generalization, but can you run the watermaker safely and without excessive clogging?

Thanks

Randy
Neptune
FeFever72

Welcome aboard. I have to ask, what is a FeFever 72...

Honestly it is more trouble than it is worth in the Chesapeake, we run a desalination plant on a tributary of the bay and the filter maintenance is a major endeavor. Between municipal docks with pump outs and free water and grabbing water when you fuel up, you will be better off pickling your system and using local sources.

I had a Spectra Catalina 12V model on a previous sailboat. Kept it in the Deltaville region. While I had no issues running the watermaker, it did use pre-filters (30m) but these could be recycled, so I took them home and soaked them in water buckets. Had to be non-chlorinated water. Got more "mileage" from the filters out in the bay and in rivers as opposed to anchorages. I think water flow made a difference.

You would get your best information from the manufacturer of the watermaker (or the owners manual), but water is available at all the marinas so I wouldn't see the need to run it.

Water in the Chesapeake Bay has a lot of silt and organic matter in it and it's a bit polluted from industrial and farm and lawn runoff. This could make a difference.

I make water year round. In the winter on a silty river.

You need prefilters. I use a 20 micron, 5 and 1. The 20 and 5 are washable. My housings are 20" x 4.5" and last a long time between changes or cleanings.

Ran a spectra Cape Horn extreme in Caribbean and along the east coast. Didn’t want to put shore water in my tanks so used it frequently. Both Maine and chessie have enough life and particulate to be an issue. Found increasing back flush duration after each use increased filter life as well as decreased the occurrence of sulfur smell. Unlike the windwards where we commonly ran the watermaker at anchor on a lazy day, we would run the watermaker when either off the coast while traveling (Maine) or the deepest water available (chessie bay).
So protocol was run water down to 25% remaining. Find the best spot to make water. Make water until full. Back flush for twice the duration. Also found buying filters in bulk saved big bucks and was worth the annoyance of finding a place to store them. It’s the carbon filter that breaks the bank so shop that one.

A question: Is there a UV attachment available for the 'all in one unit', Newport 400 mk2

We've never had problems running in the Chesapeake but we do have pre-filters. There's not enough concentration of fuel or debris to create problems. Now, as you get far up river to less salt you may need to adjust speed.

Never had a water filter aboard , but I have read in fresher , water the unit pressure has to be reduced . Beware?

Never had a water filter aboard , but I have read in fresher , water the unit pressure has to be reduced . Beware?

That is a challenge with some of the fully automatic watermakers.

Yes they turn on and work, but they have no way of adjusting pressure as the water conditions change.

My opinion as a guy that uses a watermasker pretty much every day is that you want to have a system where either you or the machine adjusts the membrane pressure every time you turn it on.

My sequence is

Turn on low pressure pump for maybe 30 seconds to let the low pressure stasbilize

Turn on high pressure pump.

Adjust the membrane back pressure valve to get 800 PSI and or 40 gallons per hour flow.

Wait a few minutes and then turn on the TDS meter to make sure my product water is good.

Go to the sink and fill up my drinking water jug from the desalinated water spigot.

Turn the product water valve to fill my tank.

set a timer to remind me when to go check if the tank is near full.

When the tank is full reverse the process.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom