Repair holes in interior teak plywood surfaces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveLinton

Hello,
We recently purchased a 2004 DeFever RPH. The boat was a shed kept fresh water boat for her entire life so far. We are the 4th owner.
Previous owners had mounted tv’s, art, etc. The teak is in really good shape considering the age, but the multitude of holes are a bit unsightly. Looking for any advice on methods to repair or disguise the holes. Thanks in advance for your help.
Steve

The right color of wood filler and a touch up brush can do wonders.

Maybe some new art or TVs? Seriously we sometimes mount something new to cover old holse in our boats. Our current boat had stickers all over it. I literally spent almost 8 hours removing them. I don’t understand how someone can do that to a boat.

I have painted over veneer in bad condition with good results.

In a previous boat, a 1979 GB42 Cl, I painted the space right below the windows which was previously veneer that had been damaged by moisture.

Painting not only deals with the damaged veneer but, in my opinion, improves the interior aesthetically making it brighter and nicely contrasting with the remaining wood details.

Attachments

• J13.jpg
    J13.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 30
The right color of wood filler and a touch up brush can do wonders.

+1 I have used this method with acceptable results and I have zero artistic talent. We had a warranty repair on a new boat and the solution was proposed to be filler plus paint. I disputed the proposed method but ultimately accepted it when the tech promised me if I could spot the repaired area he would replace the panel.

I was not on the boat when the work was done. I returned to the boat the next day and I simply could not find the repaired area. I humbly apologized!
~A

Sometimes it is best to not try to disguise a hole. You might consider emphasizing it. Get some wood "buttons" stain to match the background and enlarge the hole to accept the buttons. They may pass for "functional"

pete

Another option is to get some teak wood plugs of the right size to fit the holes. There are bits available for drills that you can make your own plugs from teak stock although much simpler just o buy the wood plugs.

I have painted over veneer in bad condition with good results.

In a previous boat, a 1979 GB42 Cl, I painted the space right below the windows which was previously veneer that had been damaged by moisture.

Painting not only deals with the damaged veneer but, in my opinion, improves the interior aesthetically making it brighter and nicely contrasting with the remaining wood details.

We did that with a previous boat that had lots of staining and panel damage. We used thickened epoxy to fill and fair the damaged areas. I then used a HVLP sprayer to paint the bulkheads. The only trouble was that I had to use a forced air respirator due to the polyurethane paint. But it looked beautiful when we were done. Really brightened up the salon.

It is very easy to cover screwed up teak with either glued on veneer or very think teak faced plywood. I used both methods in my old woodie Grand Banks 42.

Back
Top Bottom