Poll: Anchor vs. Marinas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What percentage of cruising time do you spend anchored vs marina

• East Coast USA > 70% anchor

Votes: 41 24.3%
  • East Coast USA 30 to 70% anchor (and also same marina)

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • East Coast USA < 30% anchor

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • West Coast USA > 70% anchor

Votes: 29 17.2%
  • West Coast USA 30 to 70% anchor (and marina)

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • West Coast USA < 30% anchor

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Everywhere else in the world >70% anchor

Votes: 23 13.6%
  • Everywhere else in the world 30 to 70% anchor

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Everywhere else in the world < 30% anchor

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • You didn't list my area so I refuse to answer

Votes: 7 4.1%

• Total voters
I don't look askance at anyone who prefers using marinas; they offer many things that anchoring does not. We always had fun stopping at them occasionally whilst cruising and made a lot of friends that way as well.

Forgot to add that I am too cheap to shell out for a transient slip.

If it is just overnight we perfer to anchor out. If it is 2 or more nights we like Marinas because we can explore the area and be away from the boat. Not really totally comfortable anchoring the boat and leaving it for extended periods. Paying for a mooring is okay--actually like that option the best. JohnP

100%, I hate sleeping at the harbor. Too much noise, lights, and wandering conversations by dock walkers, as well as the early morning fishing fleet firing up at 5:00 AM. If I wind up at the boat late, I still motor across the bay to find an anchorage for the night.

>95% anchor. I might drive my car to a restaurant (because the car doesn't have cooking facilities). Marina hopping in a boat seems like mall hopping in a car. Not my reason for owning a boat or car.

>95% anchor. I might drive my car to a restaurant (because the car doesn't have cooking facilities). Marina hopping in a boat seems like mall hopping in a car. Not my reason for owning a boat or car.

Wifey B: Good attempt at analogy but only if that's how you use a marina. To us, marina hopping is like a deep and wonderful dream where you vacation and sight see in all these marvelous places and meet these incredible people. We do value the destinations. At each port we have sights we want to see, history we want to embrace. :)

Two pages already ....
What’s the purpose of this thread? What can be gained from this info .... ?

Mooring and at anchor 70+% of the time. It's nice to visit a special marina now and then.

Cheers,

Over 100 nights at anchor last year even with covid-19 issues banning recreational boating for a period. And I didn't leave Moreton Bay, so no marina's when cruising last year.

But obviously around 260 nights at my home marina, and a few of those I slept on board.

We have owned our boat for two years come April. We have spent one hundred days away from our Marina and anchored out ninety three times. Luv being at sea.
Will & Barbara

Living at the gateway to Desolation Sound and parts north means mostly anchoring in quiet solitude, but then there is the magic of the docks at Lund...

I have to laugh at those who refuse to answer because their location is not listed!

Living at the gateway to Desolation Sound and parts north means mostly anchoring in quiet solitude, but then there is the magic of the docks at Lund...

I have to laugh at those who refuse to answer because their location is not listed!

Hey, don t laugh! They are not on the East Coast, or the West Cost and they are not Anywhere Else in the World. So, they are aliens!

Yikes, I knew they were coming, hope they are friendly. Respect polite anchoring protocols etc.

Almost 100% at anchor. When I leave my slip I don't return for typically 3 months. During those 3 months it is very rare that I stay at a marina. I carry an electric bike so I can do grocery runs on what ever island has a grocery store. I'm actually new to passage-making and fell in love with the life style. This year will be my 4th season. Actually my 3rd, I shouldn't count last year.

To be totally honest. A major reason for anchoring is because docking scares me.

Last edited:
I would think a big reason to go to a marina is to walk uptown and get groceries and other provisions. If it’s late in the day it would seem good sense to stay at the marina. Unless you’re short of funds of course.

In Alaska I was nearly always more excited about exploring a new Alaska village than anchoring in a remote place that was usually not much different than the last 50 coves and inlets we’ve anchored in. A good lunch in a cafe in Petersburg followed by a walk around town or one could walk the town floats for hours. Tops most anchorages IMO. And I haven’t even mentioned rubbing shoulders with or meeting Alaskans ... or having conversations w people that live in the wilderness.

But most all here on TF don’t or never have lived in the wilderness so the wilderness is a big draw. Or maybe cruisers are more apprehensive about those “roughies” that live in small towns in wilderness that automatically distain “outsiders” than bears, winds and big tides. My view is that there’s got to be some explanation for all this anchoring out.

Last edited:
There is an explanation when you don't look at the world from a narrow point of view.

Lots of places around the world have more than a grocery run, a decent lunch and an interesting conversation or two.

And in some places, dockage is cheap, or there's a free / cheap town dock. In other places, dockage is expensive. If there's a decent town dock, I'm inclined to use it unless I see a good reason not to. You meet interesting people that way.

Two pages already ....

Purpose is someone asked for it so I complied.

I think it's interesting to see the leanings of the group. Always interesting to learn more about fellow boaters.

In Alaska I was nearly always more excited about exploring a new Alaska village than anchoring in a remote place that was usually not much different than the last 50 coves and inlets we’ve anchored in. A good lunch in a cafe in Petersburg followed by a walk around town or one could walk the town floats for hours. Tops most anchorages IMO. And I haven’t even mentioned rubbing shoulders with or meeting Alaskans ... or having conversations w people that live in the wilderness.

I suspect many people here do that in the tender. I like anchoring near civilization and exploring by dinghy.

Wifey B: I like to walk around town and grab lunch in every town we reach. Conversations with locals always nice. Love local heritage and art. Now with me that's true from Alaska to NYC and everywhere in between. Each destination can be the source of wonderful memories. :D

Varies for cruise to cruise, wildly.

100% anchor. Never spent a night at a Marina.
PacNW and Caribbean.

I've probably only spent maybe 20% of my time at anchor. I do really enjoy the peace and quiet and privacy that comes with it, and I do really get a rise out of living 'off the grid.' That said, I stay at marinas more than I strictly need to for many reasons. I tend to miss being around people if I stay out too long. I like feeling like I'm in a community, even if I don't socialize all that much. I like the endless supply of power and water. I like that I can get rid of trash, or do laundry without thinking about it, and I can just wander up the street on a whim. I like the security of being stitched to a dock.

It ain't cheap, though. Marinas are my biggest expense by far, and I could certainly afford to spend less.

My dock to anchor ratio will likely change if I ever get around to upgrading my dinghy.

I've probably only spent maybe 20% of my time at anchor. I do really enjoy the peace and quiet and privacy that comes with it, and I do really get a rise out of living 'off the grid.' That said, I stay at marinas more than I strictly need to for many reasons. I tend to miss being around people if I stay out too long. I like feeling like I'm in a community, even if I don't socialize all that much. I like the endless supply of power and water. I like that I can get rid of trash, or do laundry without thinking about it, and I can just wander up the street on a whim. I like the security of being stitched to a dock.

It ain't cheap, though. Marinas are my biggest expense by far, and I could certainly afford to spend less.

My dock to anchor ratio will likely change if I ever get around to upgrading my dinghy.

Wifey B: But you're enjoying it. Don't let any others make you apologize for enjoying marinas. You're also getting out and exploring and enjoying the towns. Some try to present marinas as almost evil. Well, I love many of them. Some more than others. Not putting down those who love anchoring at all, but there is no holier than thou appropriate for either those who anchor or use marinas. :)

Wifey B: We do marinas 90% of the time, although this year, due to pandemic, are 90% anchoring. :)
What anchor(s) do you use?:D

Two pages already ....

Eric, I put forward the idea as I really don't know much about the east coast boating scene, and yes I know it is multi-scenes, not just one. My stereotype view is that the east coasters are cruising down narrower areas with less places to anchor, note: this is my view, I realize it probably isn't reality. In my head, if you are doing the loop are there really that many great places to anchor?

I like to learn as much as I can about boating, not just the technical stuff, but design, economics, geographical differences, various styles of boats and boating. In my convoluted brain, I can imagine that boating on the hook probably is great in the Maine area, but how great along coastal New Jersey?

On the West coast, we know there is mega areas for gunkholing and being on the hook in your own private cove. But we also know things get bleaker as you go down the coast of Washington, Oregon and California. Up here in God's country, Islands are so plentiful I've yet to see a count agree with another count of how many there are. But we all know the answer is in thousands, many of thousands. But after you cruise down Juan de Fuca Strait towards the ocean, hang a left and head to California, there only eight islands through all that distance, and those eight in California. So if your boat is in Astoria or Depoe Bay, are there good places to be on the hook?

Even with this short poll my notions are changing, many on the east coast are on the hook much more than I envisioned, good for them.

Wifey B: Good attempt at analogy but only if that's how you use a marina. To us, marina hopping is like a deep and wonderful dream where you vacation and sight see in all these marvelous places and meet these incredible people. We do value the destinations. At each port we have sights we want to see, history we want to embrace. :)

That's what they make tenders for
Not being in a marina has never stopped us doing the things you list.

100% anchor for us
Saved us about $150,000 on marina fees in 4.5 years if paying transient fees
About $80,000 if having a full time berth.

Last edited:
Interesting rsn48,
I wonder fairly often about the east coast. Being from Alaska I’m very familiar w rocky shores but from what I see and hear it’s very different. People rowing out to their boats that moor on mooring balls seems nuts to me. Lots of floats and boats is one of the most important elements of boating here .. to me anyway. I was introduced to floats and boats in Juneau where my mother painted boats and I had free rein to roam. My youth was laced w small rowboats and outboards w a lot of fishboats thrown in. They were ever present. But my range of boats extended to include Steamships. For about 4 yrs my mother took my sister and myself south to Seattle every summer. Other mothers were appalled that mom would just turn me loose w a few words of advise probably like “don’t go down in the engine room”. I didn’t and she knew I wouldn’t.

But to contemplate the east coast has always been a stretch.

Sheesh. Just call me a day sailor.

Attachments

• st jorge wine.jpg
    st jorge wine.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Pittsburg.jpg
    Pittsburg.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom