Matched pair of belts.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
When I first bought Phoenix Hunter, a well regarded mechanic, since retired, advised me to put a second belt on the harmonic balancer/water pump/alternator. These should be a matched pair of belts. This I did. It is now time to replace these and I have a spare matched pair, but when I went to Lordco to buy them the desk guy told me they no longer carried them and said I should be fine with two of the same belt. He said they’d replace them if they failed. I said that wouldn’t help me in the middle of nowhere!

Should I be concerned with obtaining a matched pair or should I just get two of the same belt?

Jim

IMG_4053.jpg

It appears that they don’t sell them anymore. I was told to get 2 from the same date of manufacture. There is supposed to be a date code on the belts.

The manufacturer tolerances have become much better. Just buy a high quality belt like gates, and it should be fine.

Now that belts are cut by computer driven lasers they all come off the line the same. No worries about matching.

While its probably true that new computer created belts are better , buy 2 sets (4 belts) , you will be better able to match a pair , and a second set on board is good insurance.

I deal with multiple belt systems every day. Matched belts have not been available for a long time. Install two new fresh belts, adjust them properly and they will be "matched" after a few hours of run time. Monitor the tension. Aside from an initial re-tension, I seldom adjust belts, if they stretch enough to need tightening, I just replace them. It takes the same amount of effort to adjust them as to replace them.....generally. YMMV.

Very good guys!

Thanks

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom