Marine Trader Common Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Im_Lost

Hi All. Having a survey performed late this week on a 1998 Marine Trader 38 DC that appears to be pretty good overall condition. At first and second glances she seems to have been well taken care of during her life but I'd like to know if there are common problem areas.

1. Are there any model specific (1998 MT 38 Double Cabin) items that should be more carefully scrutinized on this boat?
  2. Are there other issues in general to be aware of on this type boat (Taiwanese Makes)?

Thank you in advance!! :smitten:

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. There are several threads outlining most common problems on Taiwanese vessels. In a nutshell: Leaky windows/ports/deck fittings and rusting fuel tanks due to leaking decks (endemic in teak covered decks).

EVERYTHING depends on maintenance!

Welcome to the TF. You will get some great advice here. Fireflly pretty much nailed it on common areas of concern with older Marine Traders. If you are considering the one for sale in Jax Wow! Shes a beauty Good luck

Welcome aboard. Hope it goes well for you.

At a guess that vessel is my old boat I sold in 2016 after the loop and Bahamas, only problem was a few cabin leaks, but I think the next owner fixed them all, well looked after and constantly upgraded. I did 6000 nautical miles in her, great economical boat, only sold her as I live in Australia and too expensive to ship home. See our blog on, auskiwiloop.blogspot.com

Thanks for the fast replies! Yes. It's the one in Jax and she seems to be in good shape overall. The fuel tanks were replaced with alum in late 2014 and the windows look like (to my untrained eyes) they have been properly maintained over the years. Colin I believe you are correct that this was your old boat! Small world! :) My broker forwarded me your old ad listing from when you sold her as "Movin on" ... I have not looked completely through your blog yet but will later today. What an epic adventure that was for you two! I did see you made the mast mods that make lowering the mast so much easier (and by one person). Does that make her low enough for the Erie Canal? If all goes well she'll be retracing most (if not all) of your 2015 path around the loop and maybe even back out into the Bahamas!! :thumb:

Last edited:
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. There are several threads outlining most common problems on Taiwanese vessels. In a nutshell: Leaky windows/ports/deck fittings and rusting fuel tanks due to leaking decks (endemic in teak covered decks).

EVERYTHING depends on maintenance!

Much of the teak decks were removed about 8 years ago (I think) and were glassed over. All the main deck areas we walked on felt firm so hopefully they were done correctly. However the upper helm still has original teak deck.

Colin your blog's main photo shows the boat with the MT nameplate on the flybridge but your last photo when you put it up for sale it is missing (and still is today). Is there a backstory there? LOL :)

Re the M T name plate,I was still in Aus when I started the blog so only had broker photos, these were old and the name plate had been removed by P O. With mast down I had no problem with bridge heights on the Erie, went to Lake Ontario via Oswego, also same for going through Chicago, from memory Bimini clearance was 15ft 6in.Only close shave was the bridge at Joliet, I hadnt reckoned on higher river level, had a couple of inches to spare, a good wake up moment. Just PM me if you want anything specific, will do my best to be helpful, cheers C

hey, I have the same boat .not in the same condition though. if you end up getting this one I would like some pictures of some problem areas and see how they were dealt with in later versions of the same boat . also the rear cabin opening windows are a upgrade I need. and the location and access for the bow thruster.

thanks
Tim

When we bought our boat (a 1989 Sealord 35 or Oceania 35 , same thing) I was on the alert for rudder area issues and still got caught. It wasn't long before I discovered only one of the lag screws holding the rudder post in place was really holding.

We had it rebuilt this year and attached are some of the pics. I apologize for their orientation but I can't figure that out.

You can see what the wood looked like when it was removed. That piece was light as balsa (dry rot?) and the screws had let go. Installed in 3 pieces it was simply laminated in place and not treated in any way with resin. It held screws for 30 years so while effective it wasn't protected. It had gotten soaked at some point and was partially dried out. The main section the gland was attached to was wet. The entire plate was taken out and replaced with a heavily built piece of laminated marine plywood and it was all glassed in place. (I added a shelf for a future auto helm pump.) The screw points were drilled out, filled with resin and the screws installed.

A potential issue on all boats of this type/era is this rudder area. The only thing keeping water out is the rudder shaft gland and whatever was used to seal the shaft tube where it exits the boat (the hole the shaft is in in the pics). You can bang away on it all you want with a hammer inside testing for water penetration but unless its well saturated it's tough to pick up.

It was less expensive than I thought it would be to get done and after seeing the condition it was in I'm very glad we decided to do it.

Attachments

• 20201004_160441.jpg
    20201004_160441.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20201002_111154.jpg
    20201002_111154.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20201002_113312.jpg
    20201002_113312.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20201002_111106.jpg
    20201002_111106.jpg