Krogen Manatee Steering Wheel removal question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cantsitstill

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Miss Tee
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen Manatee
Can someone tell me how to remove the nut from the inside of my steering wheel? There isn't enough space to use a socket or a wrench. It also looks like they used red Locktite on the threads.

See pic.

I am thinking I just need to heat up the nut with a heat gun, then hold the shaft to keep it from turning, then turn the wheel to remove this nut. I can't see if there is some type of key/notch on the wheel though.

I used a small chisel to take the nut off. I then filed a slot at the chisel mark so a flat blade screw driver and small hammer can tighten or loosen the nut. IMO Loctite is over kill.

Ok thanks! I agree I wouldn't use Loctite but it looks like someone has in the past.

I more question. Is it a standard thread? In other words does the nut come off counter clockwise?

RED Loctite in this application is NO, No, totally unneeded. At best there is a small screw Loctite which would have been more than enough. I just cannot remember the number of that Loctite though. I went and looked and it is 222. Just need a dab even so. COmpared to the blue 242 or the red 292 it is very weak but here would be far more than enough.

You forgot to add the picture.
Can someone tell me how to remove the nut from the inside of my steering wheel? There isn't enough space to use a socket or a wrench. It also looks like they used red Locktite on the threads.

See pic.

I am thinking I just need to heat up the nut with a heat gun, then hold the shaft to keep it from turning, then turn the wheel to remove this nut. I can't see if there is some type of key/notch on the wheel though.

"I more question. Is it a standard thread? In other words does the nut come off counter clockwise?"

Almost every part of every boat built is OTS , off the shelf, in the country where it is assembled.

RED Loctite in this application is NO, No, totally unneeded. At best there is a small screw Loctite which would have been more than enough. I just cannot remember the number of that Loctite though. I went and looked and it is 222. Just need a dab even so. COmpared to the blue 242 or the red 292 it is very weak but here would be far more than enough.

Thanks everyone. I just heated the nut a bit and it came off with a few taps with a chisel. Not planning to use Locktite like the previous owner did.

Here is the pic though. I forgot to hit upload originally.

Attachments

• Steering wheel pic.jpg
    Steering wheel pic.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 19
With the picture get a socket O.D. turned down so it can reach in. Likely a deep socket. Any one with a lathe should be able to do that easily.

Looks like enough meat on the nut to have it thinned somewhat although that would be milled to maintain the hex. Even so with a bit of ingenuity it could be cut on a lathe with a cross slide mounted vise.
Do you have any lathe equipped friends around or maybe a machine shop nearby?

Maybe while the nut is off drill 2 holes, one on each side. Then you could make a key like a deck plate key to tighten and loosen it.

If modifications are under consideration to make this easier the next time....

Rather than cutting down the nut or cutting down the wall of a socket, consider opening up the hub so a socket will fit There looks to be quite a bit of material that could be removed without consequence.

I agree I'd modify something to make it easier in future.
Maybe its me or the shadow in the pic but the nut doesn't seem to be centered in the wheel hub bore?
One side looks to be almost touching with space opposite.
Relieving the bore probably best and I'd get a thin wall socket to see how much is needed. If the wheel does have play at least using a socket will help center it while tightening to make it possible to get thevsocket back on.
If going quick & simple the 2 holes in nut and spanner should work for occasional use.

What idiot designed that steering wheel?
Thanks everyone. I just heated the nut a bit and it came off with a few taps with a chisel. Not planning to use Locktite like the previous owner did.

Here is the pic though. I forgot to hit upload originally.

Back
Top Bottom