Ignition key run position positive wire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveK

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4588
I have a need to find a positive wire at the engine which originates when the ignition key is in the run position. This is to activate DC2DC chargers only when engine is running.
My plan is to disconnect the buzzer from the run terminal so the key can be left on.

What I a asking is there a hot wire from ignition run position or am I wasting time looking for one. In that case plan B will be to run a dedicated wire.
The engine is
  • Hino W06CTA 250HP Diesel

Couldn't an ACR achieve this goal?

Or use a N.O. oil pressure operated switch mounted on the engine in conjunction with your oil pressure guage. Turns on when engine is started, turns off then engine is shutdown.

If you are going to disconnect the buzzer...that is generally a hot wire off the key. Key on > hot to buzzer> grounded at oil pressure switch. You will be disconnecting that wire at the buzzer, you can use it. Just make sure its the hot wire into the buzzer and not out.

Most diesels have a fuel shutoff solenoid which is usually wired power on with the ignition switch on.

I would determine amp draw of the charger power switch before assuming the circuit will handle the load

Ted

Some types of alternators have an ignition wire (to "excite" the alternator) that you might be able to use for your purpose.

Not going to disconnect the buzzer.
I do not see a fuel on solenoid, either on engine or workshop manual.
My alternators are single positive wire and single negative, no field or exciter.

I do have a wiring harness from old ALT's that appears to have several wires I will look under dash for other ends and task one of those from ignition run.

Last edited:
I do not see a fuel solenoid, either on engine or workshop manual.
Then what stops the engine? Do you press a button to stop the engine or turn off the key?

If the engine is electronic, you're turning off the computer. If mechanical, you are generally switching a fuel solenoid on or near the injector pump.

Ted

Then what stops the engine? Do you press a button to stop the engine or turn off the key?

If the engine is electronic, you're turning off the computer. If mechanical, you are generally switching a fuel solenoid on or near the injector pump.

Ted
Ted, I have a shutoff solenoid, depress dash buttons, hold until engine stops. So only powered when pressed.

I your using a Victron DC2DC charger. The charger just wants to see ether a Neg or Pos voltage. There is no load or its in the milliamp range. I am talking about the small jumper thats made for this.

Attachments

• 1643366920_upload_products_266_266-Orion-Tr non-isolated.png
    1643366920_upload_products_266_266-Orion-Tr non-isolated.png
    94.1 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom