ICW at 6 knots - Daily Stops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few years back when I did a section of the ICW I used a flip chart that was spiral bound at the top. Does anyone know who makes that flip chart? Also any other suggestions for a good flip chart? I like being able to visualize and plan in the flip chart. It is also very easy to use under way. I already have Bob423's 2019 Cruising Guide.

Home

We travelled at 7.3 knots with our 1998 38ft MT Dcab, worked on 40 to 60 miles per day, used skipper Bob to find the next 3 anchorages close to distance, if we didn't like the first we went on to option 2 or 3, found that worked well, always had a destination worked out.

Ted (Slow Hand)

People here respect your opinion, why not make your list public on this forum, I think all would appreciate it. YMMV

Thanks.

Starting in Norfolk, we did:
Dismal Swamp NC Welcome Center
Elizabeth City Free Dock
Alligator River Marina
Belhaven Marina Dowry Creek
Beaufort NC Adams Creek Anchorage
Beaufort NC friend's dock
Harbor Village Marina
Bald Head Island
Dock Holidays, N. Myrtle Beach
Georgetown Marina SC
Isle of Palms Marina SC
Bohicket Marina SC

The Waterway Guide ICW edition is another excellent resource.

We did so many variations of stops on our circuits it would be almost ludicrous to list them all and comment.... people write entire books on that and I'm not interested in writing another one! Goal for each trip, with one exception, was to anchor or take a mooring as much as possible, because for us that was the most fun. The exception was what we knew was going to be our last trip, when we decided to hit a bunch of marinas we had passed by so many times, though still stayed at our very favorite anchorages. We liked to take a month or better yet two to get from, say souther Mass. to Marathon. The journey was the destination.

I suppose another exception was a trip done almost entirely via ocean, and hitting some inlets we hadn't used before, but that's pretty much irrelevant to the OP.

I'd be glad to comment or answer on any particular location on request.

Last edited:
We travelled at 7.3 knots with our 1998 38ft MT Dcab, worked on 40 to 60 miles per day, used skipper Bob to find the next 3 anchorages close to distance, if we didn't like the first we went on to option 2 or 3, found that worked well, always had a destination worked out.

that's great speed is that with twins or single cummins . i can get that speed but it's running the old single ford way too hard.

Ted (Slow Hand)

People here respect your opinion, why not make your list public on this forum, I think all would appreciate it. YMMV

Thanks.

he put in one of the threads before and it a great list . slow hand is a bigger boat (ship) than mine or the OP . and there is plenty of room us smaller vessels .that's great for me as i don't know what i'm doing.:)

Bob423

https://bobicw.blogspot.com/
Take a look at his stuff. Veteran of 10 trips plus. Has published ICW Guide 2019. Great stuff. If we buy this boat in Mass. (flying up this afternoon) We will be using his guidance with the suggested Aqua Maps loaded up on ipad.
He has all his personal tracks available to overlay on the chart.
Covers from Norfolk to Kew West. Been studying all week. 6-7kts will be the norm for us.
We will be transiting from Mass. To Galveston, TX. Crossing Okeechobee to get to gulf coast.
We have other guides and some first hand knowledge of that part of the world.
Russ...

Hi Timb, My trader had a single Cummins 210 hp motor, went like clockwork, averaged around 2.5 gph, wish I could get that in my current ride. Did the loop in 2015/2016, plus a month in the Bahamas, loved every minute of it. The friendly and helpful people we met on the way was a highlight of the trip.

Back
Top Bottom