How to secure lead ingot ballast???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. mv. "Any idea what happened to ET,". I think he went home...

iu

I have about 8 of those 65# ingots as far forward in my bow as they'll go. They're just sitting there, stacked 2-deep. We've been in some very uncomfortable pitching seas for hours on end and they haven’t moved an inch. They're sitting on a 3" layer of foam.

Personally, I'd just set the lead onto some thickened epoxy, then glass over it for further security. I also like the idea of filling the space around it with shot and epoxy, then glassing over the top, as that would make a smooth top surface, rather than just having glassed in lumps.

It's a BOAT. Lead is too cheap. Need to go with Tungsten instead of lead. 1.74 times as dense as lead.

It is a great ballast for tight spaces. We had a brick size chunk of it at work and people would swear it was glued down when they tried to pick it up:D

I used silicone. It holds the lead bricks down. They won't come up unless you pry them up with a bar and it takes quite a bit of effort. Adhesive would be a bad idea.

Absolutely no need to secure. I have a lead ingot (about 40 lbs) just sitting for no reason whatsoever on my house battery tray (aft of the batteries). It has sat there for 5+ years without moving even a fraction of an inch. I have been out in small-craft advisory conditions, been waked so hard everything in the boat was on the deck, etc etc. All of my lead ballast is unsecured, and has never moved.

If you do this though, make sure you can still get access later if needed, and do not use foam.

Just my 2-cents.

Back
Top Bottom