High water Bilge Alarm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Night Watch

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Night Watch
Vessel Make
36’ Nova Sundeck
Hi All,

Trying to get ready for insurane survey and its jinxed me and the boat…list of things to fix grows longer
every day.

I installed a Johnson High Water Alarm and ran the wires to the DC panel.
Worked good, indicator light was om. A few days later no light and no test alarm.
I checked thr fuses we put in and one had blown. Replaced both but it didnt make the unit come back on.

Does anyone havr any thought? We followed instructions meticulously so not sure what it can be.
Thank, katherine

Last edited:
I read the product description and it sounds like there is a electronic chip in the device to generate a time delay before activation. The chip may have suffered infant mortality (premature failure).

You might try wiring the unit to a portable battery, to eliminate the possibility of a failure in your wiring.

Ted

Carefully recheck the wiring for any mistakes.

Other wise it may be as O C Diver suggested. All equipment has a failure rate which we all hope we don't get caught by.

Contact the mfgr and seller for a repair or replacement.

Not alarming

I swung by the seller & sounds like I can return it. Will give the wiring a good look.

I am learning all this as I go tho did take recreational boaters Electric Class at the maritime school nearby before Covid shut us done. But never had seen the “holder” inline fuse. My buddy wired it in and when the unit shut down coulnt figure out why the 2 fuses didnt blow- glad I looked at part today- geez. :facepalm::facepalm:

I do not use inline fuse holders with a VERY FEW exceptions. Some time they are poorly placed by Mfgrs so to remove them the wiring change becomes a highly invasive procedure.

The equipment though is properly fused at the fuse block , not buried some where in a mass of wireing.

If the inline fuse was the problem then I would replace it with a MUCH larger capacity fuse with the real/proper fusing being done at the fuse block.

Just be very carefull though about the proper fusing at the supply. Then if a fuse blows you KNOW where to look.

Greetings,
We have a 12v "school bell" activated by a float switch in the bilge which is mounted higher than the main bilge pump switch. VERY simple wiring, easy to test (move float switch arm up) and quite loud.
Bell is mounted in the pilothouse.

iu

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom