High Tide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have memories of standing in St Marks Square on liberty, the Navy destroyer I was stationed on anchored in the Grand Canal. Venice from what I recall has always had a tide problem along with many ancient building sinking into the water.
The square as I recall during normal tides was only a few feet above sea level so not much in the way of weather flooding it OR blame it on a depleted ozone layer caused by the volcanic eruptions from Stromboli.

Is it possible the water is the same but the land is sinking?

I doubt it, 50 years ago was worse, maybe it was just a wind driven wicked high tide. Katrina got here with a “25” “”high tide””. Sometimes you have to wade through the facts

There are some Chesapeake Island ports that are no doubt dealing with high water all the time. You can’t deny looking at the photos that docks and roads are completely under water when they never were 40 years ago. I’m on the Great South Bay About 200 miles from there. My neighbors house has a bulkhead and steps going into the water. We have typically a 1’ tide. She lived there her full live and is now 85. She sits on the same step that she did as a child and her feet don’t get wet. So how can the Chesapeake have 3’ more water when we don’t? Just a thought.

Greetings,

6' is about 183cm.-from above article

The mayor of venice blames climate change for the over 6' flood but a wiki article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acqua_alta) notes there have been numerous and ongoing high tide events, one of which that may have been 254cm. above current sea level. Only problem is this particular event was in 1686....

Note: I just edited this post to read "climate change" instead of what I initially posted as "global warming". Sorry, I panicked! NO significance to bold letters other than to note my edit. An inconvenient error.

Last edited:
Wow, does this mean my Oklahoma property will soon be waterfront property?

From the article linked to:
"
The city’s famed Saint Mark’s Square was deluged by more than 3 feet of water, and Saint Mark’s Basilica was flooded for only the sixth time in 1,200 years, Reuters reported."
Hmmm, if it's climate change that's causing it this time, was it also climate change the other five times in the past 1200 years? And if so, does that mean that climate change could, perhaps, be cyclical?

Makes one wonder.

"
The city’s famed Saint Mark’s Square was deluged by more than 3 feet of water, and Saint Mark’s Basilica was flooded for only the sixth time in 1,200 years, Reuters reported."
Hmmm, if it's climate change that's causing it this time, was it also climate change the other five times in the past 1200 years? And if so, does that mean that climate change could, perhaps, be cyclical?

Makes one wonder.

Of course climate change is cyclical. The earth's climate has changed many times. Take, for instance, repeated ice ages. However, those cycles take place over tens of thousands of years. Modern civilization has only arisen since after the last ice age. For the last 8-9000 years the climate has been in the sweet spot. Not too hot, not too cold. This allowed human civilization to flourish. Should the climate deviate too much from this sweet spot (whether from natural or human induced causes), the planet will be just fine. It is human civilization as we know it that will be at risk.

Venice has flooded from time to time over its history. However, the frequency of the floods has been increasing over the last 50 years.

It seems that Venice is subsiding at between 1 and 4mm year (depending on what part of Venice you are in). So a flood of 1.9 meters cannot be solely attributed to surface subsistence (as some people claim).

Venice isn't the only place suffering from high tides: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...f076c0-fcab-11e9-ac8c-8eced29ca6ef_story.html

Last edited:
It’s not uncommon for Venice to flood this time of year. Venice sits at the end of the Adriatic Sea which acts like a funnel for any storm surges coming up out of the South. Venice used to sit in the middle of a giant estuary, but over time much of the shoreline has been developed. Now the question becomes are the tides getting higher because of climate change or because the water no longer has anywhere to go due to shoreline development. Most likely both. To solve this problem you will need to change the climate, raise the city and return much of the shoreline back to it undeveloped beginnings. This is not a new issue for Venice, all these issues were in discussion back in the 70’s when I lived there.

"

Makes one wonder.

If climate change is indeed cyclical, is Greta out of a job ? ��

If climate change is indeed cyclical, is Greta out of a job ? ��

Depends on your point of view. If you say climate change is inevitable and nothing can be done to mitigate its effects on humanity, then yeah she needs to find something else to do.

If you think that maybe something can be done to reduce the effects on humans (which is really what we're talking about here) than maybe she might be on to something.

The climate will change sooner or later. When it does some organisms will adapt by physically changing, migrating, or modifying the local environment. Those that can't will die out.

The measures to protect against climate change are intended to keep humans from being one of the organisms that die out. In reality, they are meant to maintain the status quo (i.e. so that no one has to give up their beach front vacation home).

The Med has been affected by two things over the past few thousand centuries or so. Sinking land and rising seas. Back then, the Med was a much smaller pond. Then the land mass near Gibraltar dropped allowing the Atlantic a path for flooding known as the Zanclean deluge.

Many underwater shots are available showing where various Med ports of yor sunk out of sight. Terra firma is not so firm. Elastic in fact as measured by significant land elevation changes following major seismic events.

Btw, the current cold spell in the Midwest US is blamed on global warming by Chicago weather experts. They should have been around 25,000 years ago when Chicago was covered by a large glacier.

Last edited:
You've heard of Kalifornia's "Choo Choo to Nowhere, well Venice has a flood control project known as "Mose" that is also going nowhere due to cost overruns and corruption. Mose was supposed to handle this flood problem but...:facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings,
Although Moses is supposed to have parted the Red Sea, thereby controlling water, it seems that this name should be appropriate for water control in Venice.

Alas, the consensus seems to be that Moses is a fable, much like the success of the Italian MOSE project. So I guess it IS a good name for the project.

"Moses was a prophet according to the teachings of the Abrahamic religions. Scholarly consensus sees Moses as a legendary figure and not a historical person, while retaining the possibility that a Moses-like figure existed.Wikipedia"

Cost overruns and corruption in ITALY???? Say it isn't so!

200.webp

"Wow, does this mean my Oklahoma property will soon be waterfront property?"

More likely that Las Vegas will be.

Back
Top Bottom