Heads up for the Rideau 2024 season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cartouche

Vessel Name
On The EdJ
Vessel Make
Former 390 owner now Sundancer 380
Just a heads up for those that might be planning a Trip up the Rideau from Kingston, if you have a fly bridge you will not be able to pass through the Lasalle Causeway, It is being rebuilt and 2 weeks ago there was an incident that has severely compromised the structure, as it was originally built in the late 1800's the repair work is going to be lengthy, and time consuming, they have already declared it will not open until June, and I am sure that will be pushed back as we get closer. We now have a Sundancer and can get under the Fixed portion, but our old boat a Mainship 390, would be Stuck, there are 3 Tour boats (Bateau Mouche, Island Belle, and the Canadian Empress) that winter at our Marina (Kingston Marina in the inner harbor), and also cannot leave. The Island Queen stayed at the Crawford dock for the winter so will be okay, Either plan to go to Ottawa via Montreal or Check, to see if it opens when you want to come. Parks Canada are still planning on opening the Rideau on the long weekend, but it will be Just Bungalows like us that are able to use it, if anyone needs info, you can reach out to me I am a Port Captain for KINGSTON.

Do you know what the available vertical clearance is with the bridge in its current state?

The Causeway is Closed - the fixed bridge is to the east of the causeway, and at high water has clearance of about 11ft, we are a Sundancer 38 and Fit with about 1ft above our Radar on the hardtop, if you have a flybridge it will not pass.

Just an update it looks like they are going to dismantle the fixed bridge and let out the commercial traffic and then close it back up, as of today the engineers are still assessing the damage and no forward work has started, which if all went well will be unlikely to open before mid summer if at all. I am sure it is going to have a major impact on the area as far as Tourism ease of getting around the city.

Just an update it looks like they are going to dismantle the fixed bridge and let out the commercial traffic and then close it back up, as of today the engineers are still assessing the damage and no forward work has started, which if all went well will be unlikely to open before mid summer if at all. I am sure it is going to have a major impact on the area as far as Tourism ease of getting around the city.
Thanks,
It boggles my mind as to why they would close it back up immediately after the tour boats escape, leave it open until the lift if fixed.

The chart shows clearnance on the fixed bridge as 5.5m, or 18'. The current Ontario water level is 31" above datum, which would indicate clearance at a bit over 15'. Is this accurate? We have been planning a trip on the canal which would require us to go through Kingston so we would be unable to go if the clearance is less than 14'.

The chart shows clearnance on the fixed bridge as 5.5m, or 18'. The current Ontario water level is 31" above datum, which would indicate clearance at a bit over 15'. Is this accurate? We have been planning a trip on the canal which would require us to go through Kingston so we would be unable to go if the clearance is less than 14'.
I've seen that on charts as well, but that's likely at Lake Ontario low water datum, which would be 243.3 feet. Currently the lake is just below 246'. So clearance would be a little over 15 feet. I've seen it mentioned that the small boat passage is typically usable for boats up to 14 feet tall. So if you can get down to 14 feet you should clear.

In 2022, due to a rush our restriction or something like it, I went under the fixed bridge on the Causeway. My recollection was that I had more than 15' and over 6' of depth. I remember catching the bridge opening going the other way.

Ted

Thanks,
It boggles my mind as to why they would close it back up immediately after the tour boats escape, leave it open until the lift if fixed.
Perhaps they need truck/crane access to that side of the bridge for repairs. 'can't do that with that bridge removed.

Thanks,
They want the roadway functional as soon as the Bridge is fixed as it is a busy route in the summer for tourists to Kingston, and only having 1 opening for traffic going North and south is a recipe for an accident.

I would say 14ft we have a couple of fly bridge cruisers in our Marina and it's a no go

Back
Top Bottom