Head Remodel Kinda.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

man7sell

Vessel Name
TBD
Vessel Make
Sundowner 30
I miss the aft head we had on our sailboat. That said, out new to use Sundowner 30 has a small fwd head. Several things need improvement.
First the water systems.
1. I want to swap out the small sink for a slightly larger one that will cover the existing faucet holes (These taps are past the end of their life). Instead I will replace the shower faucet with a mixer that has a spout to fill the sink.
2. As I will be deleting 2 faucets H & C, I'm thinking of plumbing in a bidet. It would be nice to have warm water, but cold is OK on the boat as the tanks don't get that cold.

Q. Has anyone added a bidet to their head?

Attachments

• head001.jpg
    head001.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 22
I put one on our Marine Elegance head. Love it. Saves on TP. Got this one on Amazon. I just use cold water and it is fine.

Bio Bidet by Bemis Essential Freshwater Spray Bidet Attachment For Toilet, White, Non Electric, Easy Install​

I put one on our Marine Elegance head. Love it. Saves on TP. Got this one on Amazon. I just use cold water and it is fine.

Bio Bidet by Bemis Essential Freshwater Spray Bidet Attachment For Toilet, White, Non Electric, Easy Install​

Bemis Essential Freshwater Spray Bidet
I bought one very similar USA made, just fits. How did you hook it up?

Cut the hose supplying water to the head and put a T in the hose. Ran the new end of the T to the bidet. Really pretty easy install. I also put 2 bidets in our house. Love them. Makes it much easier on my back since I don’t have to reach and twist to clean off after going.

Also using bidet inserts on both ME heads.

Going to do a water heater on the aft cabin, 12 volt, 300 watt element I got off Amazon and put in a custom (My design) 4 inch ABS-PVC 1.5 liter housing, element in the bottom and inlet-outlet in the top. Got to be a little mindful and turn it off in a couple of minutes or boiling will happen. But I should be able to take the chill off 40 degree water in the winter time.

Because it hurts - :)

Now that sounds like a good idea, do you have any photos or design?

Yeah, I'll take a pic next time I'm there. But the element I used is this one and I tested it with 12v and it performs as advertised. The rest is all standard plumbing stuff.

Great, I will order that along with a temperature controller/timer for around $10

Attachments

• inline heater.jpg
    inline heater.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 16
Here is the heater I made with the 300W, 12V element screwed into the bottom.

53766963708_d9e33355c7_o.jpg

Here it is semi installed (not wired yet) with the water inlet and outlet on the top. The inlet has a copper tube soldered in (dip tube) so the water enters at the bottom like a standard water heater.

53767190750_39bc12c6f4_b.jpg

Here is the heater I made with the 300W, 12V element screwed into the bottom.

53766963708_d9e33355c7_o.jpg

Here it is semi installed (not wired yet) with the water inlet and outlet on the top. The inlet has a copper tube soldered in (dip tube) so the water enters at the bottom like a standard water heater.

53767190750_39bc12c6f4_b.jpg
Excellent thank you so much. I will be off today to get those parts

Heater built ready to set up testing.

Attachments

• inlineheater02.jpg
    inlineheater02.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 14
You're going to need a another relay to switch the 12 volts because the element will drag 30 amps.

30 amps? yikes that's a lot, my temp controller only does 10 amps
You're going to need a another relay to switch the 12 volts because the element will drag 30 amps.

Just get say a 50A DC rated relay and use the 10A output of the controller to trigger the big relay. Amazon has those also.

Bought a different heater, 100watt. This should pull a maximum 8.66 Amps through the controller rated for 10 amps. Just needed a 1" to 1/2" bushing installed.

Attachments

• inlineheater03.jpg
    inlineheater03.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 3
I don’t see an overpressure relief valve. Seems VERY dangerous.

It is dangerous. Mine has only an on/off switch with 2 red LED's on when the switch is on. You don't flip the switch off, you boil the water.

But it will only come to play in the winter time when the water gets to 40F. Sit down, flip the switch, do the job, rinse and flip the switch off.

Mine is not going to be connected to the boat wiring. I have a separate 50AH battery dedicated to powering it and only it. Yeah still dangerous I know. One has to be mindful - :)

Back
Top Bottom