Haulover Inlet...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In San Diego Bay, any jet ski wake jumping is liable to a ticket from the CG as the "vessel" is considered out of control once it leaves the water.

The problem we have been seeing lately is not wake jumping but the jet skies just getting way too close to boats, with in a few yards, while crossing ahead or behind. We are in a sailboat so there is no wake to jump. :D

It was bad a few years ago but it has gotten worse. One of the jet ski rental places closed down and they were pretty good about having their guides be responsible. The other companies are apparently not teaching the renters what to do and the guides are letting the renters do as they please.

If it continues someone is going to get hurt.

Most of the jet skies are guided out on the ocean to try to see dolphins and site see.

Later,
Dan

From several San Diego water sites...

1. Freestyle, wake jumping, or trick riding is prohibited. Jumping or attempting to jump the wake of another vessel within 100 feet of the other vessel is prohibited by law.​

Anything close doesn't seem enforceable..... unless like I said the USCG deems it negligent operations which is hard to prove without certain facts.

The personal watercraft we see out at the barrier island are either guided charter groups or privately owned onesies/twosies. It is far and away the asses on the privately owned PWCs who are the most danger to themselves and others.

From several San Diego water sites...

1. Freestyle, wake jumping, or trick riding is prohibited. Jumping or attempting to jump the wake of another vessel within 100 feet of the other vessel is prohibited by law.​

Anything close doesn't seem enforceable..... unless like I said the USCG deems it negligent operations which is hard to prove without certain facts.

Rule like that are like telling drug addicts that meth is illegal.

You can video the illegal activity also getting the registration number, turn the video over to the USCG, I suspect nothing will happen.

There is one video in gale conditions where a 14 ft or so RHIB is going out and almost flipped it over backwards. Where are they trying to go on a day like that?

But it's enforceable.... what do you suggest?

It’s only enforceable “on view”. Meaning and officer has to see it. It’s the same reason nothing happens when you call the police to tell them someone cut you off in traffic. Your word against theirs. And even though there’s a law against “driving wrecklessly” it still doesn’t stop anyone.

It’s only enforceable “on view”. Meaning and officer has to see it. It’s the same reason nothing happens when you call the police to tell them someone cut you off in traffic. Your word against theirs. And even though there’s a law against “driving wrecklessly” it still doesn’t stop anyone.

And......???????

Have no rules????

They'll be populating coves and anchorages with drunken hooligans before you know it. You'll be able to find them by the trails of trash and empty beer cans they leave in the water!

Kind of going a little harsh on people who don't choose the type of boat that you like?
Boat operators can be irresponsible no matter what hull type.....

Kind of the same thing as a pontoon boat operator saying all Mainship operators always throw massive wakes and are jerks?...

Doesn't change my mind... I refuse to believe...

I always look for Mainship cruisers to jump their wakes as big as they are....:D

Love it all

I have a deep seated hatred toward pontoons.... I don't even consider them "boats". I think they are phenomenally ugly, and were one of the worst examples of inventions ever made.

I love anything that floats and will get me out on the water.
First was a raft we built after chopping down a bunch of green trees. Spent 4 days after school lashing the thing together.
Pushed it into the water………..and it sunk :D

I have been warned about Suart's inlet but I never had a problem.
I suspect Haul Over cut is worse because it is narrow.

I live in the area. Fortunately my boat is big enough going through Haulover is usually not an issue. Most of the "white cap" in that inlet is due to near offshore traffic on the weekends, and it's the same at Port Everglades, just not as bad. Gets worse going from high to low tide when the current is going out and the wakes from the traffic is going in. And when the wind is coming out of the East.... OH MY!!

And it's a gas to watch the small boats go out when that happens. Cooler of beer and a picnic lunch and we make a day out of it.

And don't forget the "clothing optional" beach just north of Haulover.

Only in South Florida!!!!

Ah yes, on the back side of the island inside the Haul Over cut and the cove too.
Sadly, those who get naked are better viewed with their clothes on. SMIRK

Some of it boats going by might be for the cameras so they can be on YouTube. There are a bunch of people making money off those videos, you can see all of the guys out there with cameras, and they have to purchase permits to make their videos.

Later,
Dan

WHAAA?? Why the heck do they haveta purchase permits to film there???

Must I purchase a permit to film the nude beach and cove at Haul Over?
LOL Just kidding.
Personally, I dont think my body was ever 'fit' to be filmed naked (without my Lone Ranger mask.)

Must I purchase a permit to film the nude beach and cove at Haul Over?
LOL Just kidding.
Personally, I dont think my body was ever 'fit' to be filmed naked (without my Lone Ranger mask.)

When I first moved to south Florida, I was living on my boat in Sunny Isles until our new house closed and my family moved down. I would go running in the evenings after work and frequently ran back along the beach and through Haulover Beach. After a couple of runs by there, I always called Haulover Beach, the Nude Dude Beach. :D

I have a deep seated hatred toward pontoons.... I don't even consider them "boats". I think they are phenomenally ugly, and were one of the worst examples of inventions ever made.

true; but a thing of beauty from a naval architects view. Multiple, sealed, wide spaced flotation, not much weight aloft. Lets see more shoot Boynton, Haulover, Jupiter and Matanzas!

One time at Boynton, a 'tune' tossed me a multi-spliced 1/4" poly skirope, etc and wanted me to tow him in the inlet. One hull was taking on water, and was listing 45 deg. I thanked for the offer, but said no thanks. :banghead:

It’s $300 a day to film there.

So, if a tourist whips out a video camera and starts filming, without a permit, what happens to them?

Talk about a ruined vacation.

"What did you get arrested for?"

"Taking pictures of boats while on vacation."

"No, really, what did you get arrested for?" :eek:

WHAAA?? Why the heck do they haveta purchase permits to film there???

According to one of the channels that film at Haulover, they have to purchase permits because they are a commercial business. Not unusual to have to get a permit for a commercial photography shoot in public spaces.

I can't remember if it was at Haulover or Miami but flying drones was now banned.

Later,
Dan

So, if a tourist whips out a video camera and starts filming, without a permit, what happens to them?

Talk about a ruined vacation...

A tourist would not or should not, have a problem. They are not a commercial business. Sometimes the Haulover videos will scan down the jetty, usually to show a barely glad woman, :socool::rolleyes::rofl: and you can see quite a few people set up to film the boat traffic. They have quite a bit of gear, usually hauled down on a cart, so they stand out from the crowd.

Later,
Dan

Back
Top Bottom