Fuel capacity vs fresh water capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the cost, can’t you just install a Watermaker? You can’t make more diesel, you can certainly make H2O...

If you want a fresh water toilet, put in a water maker! Can you get by without it? Sure, but why? A watermaker isn't really a very complex system (at least it doesn't have to be) and maintenance isn't much more than changing the pre-filters when flow rate drops. Winterizing is simply pumping a gallon of pink antifreeze through the pre-filters and membrane.

It sounds like a good plan to me. Unused diesel fuel is not an asset, it is a liability. It gets old and eventually will cause you problems.

pete

Define eventually?

We had 3500 litres of 10 year old diesel in our tanks when we bought her.
We had zero problems, ran the original filters for a year before changing them and they were close to pristine.

I consider unused diesel an asset.
If I buy it cheap it essentially gives a better ROI sitting in the tank compared to that same money sitting in the bank going backwards.

Last edited:
I've always said, "I'll take any old diesel you have off your hands!" Money in the bank. Filter with a Gulf Coast filter and it doesn't matter how old it is.

When I was prepping Ansedonia to go to Mexico I installed a water maker that puts out 30gph. My fresh water capacity is about 170g and fuel about 700g. The water maker is the best thing that I have added to any of my boats. Like long showers? Need to do laundry? No problem, just fire up the WM.

In the Sea of Cortez water is the most valuable commodity when anchored out.

Just my $ .02.

Cheers, Bill

Our 300 gals of potable water and 500 gals of fuel enabled extensive cruising without sufficient water worries. Mist folks will run out of water well before fuel unless doing extensive off shore distance cruising.
However, we were often cruising inland in fresh sediment laden water a lot. Hence in spite of having a water maker we seldom ran it unless off shore due to clogging filter and the potential to damage the membrane.

A shout out to the OP. We met you in Apalachicola last year about this time when I was bringing my boat home from Ft. Meyers. My crew(Brent Hodges) has an Albin 43 and was excited to see your boat. If you have his contact info, I think he had done something similar.
Anyway, I think you have your mind made up and I think all of your logic makes sense. For those suggesting a watermaker, if you don't know, you can't just make water anywhere. ANd it sounds like the OP does not cruise in areas often enough to take advantage of a watermaker. Bahamas might be the best use of a watermaker and he has not mentioned that.

Set it up the way you want it. A boat is not an investment. It's something for personal enjoyment. Live and Enjoy!

I believe that the main thing you need to consider is the weight distribution so your boat remains in trim.

Fuel & water weigh about the same, 8#/gal.

If you remove a tank and put something else in it''s place it may throw your trim off.

The boot stripe on a boat is there so you can check your vessel trim. When they are built the tank distribution is taken into consideration.

Be careful, you may get something you aren't expecting, a boat leaning to one side more than the other.

Good luck.

I've always said, "I'll take any old diesel you have off your hands!" Money in the bank. Filter with a Gulf Coast filter and it doesn't matter how old it is.

I wish I'd bumped into you 1-1/2 years ago!. I had a half-load of 10+ year old diesel that was the color of Guinness Stout and smelled like linseed oil - nothing like diesel. I had trouble giving it away to the Mexican fishermen in Ensenada. Interestingly, but old Perkins 4.236 didn't miss a beat running on that junk. But I think these old engines will run on anything that is vaguely combustible.

I'll observe the prevailing wisdom to OP to swap-out fuel tank for water mildly surprises me. I totally get it. I'm just struggling to wrap my head around the dearth of distance cruisers in powerboats. For some reason, I thought Trawler owners would have more sailor/cruiser attributes with more of an off-grid aspiration.

Peter

Ah yes, it's sort of biblical. Changing fuel into water.

A shout out to the OP. We met you in Apalachicola last year about this time when I was bringing my boat home from Ft. Meyers. My crew(Brent Hodges) has an Albin 43 and was excited to see your boat. If you have his contact info, I think he had done something similar.
Anyway, I think you have your mind made up and I think all of your logic makes sense. For those suggesting a watermaker, if you don't know, you can't just make water anywhere. ANd it sounds like the OP does not cruise in areas often enough to take advantage of a watermaker. Bahamas might be the best use of a watermaker and he has not mentioned that.
Hello! Yes, I remember meeting you guys, and I do still have his contact info. I may get in touch with him. Thanks for the shout out.
I believe that the main thing you need to consider is the weight distribution so your boat remains in trim.

Fuel & water weigh about the same, 8#/gal.

If you remove a tank and put something else in it''s place it may throw your trim off.

The boot stripe on a boat is there so you can check your vessel trim. When they are built the tank distribution is taken into consideration.

Be careful, you may get something you aren't expecting, a boat leaning to one side more than the other.

Good luck.
Nepidae, thanks for that and I will keep my eye on that. Actually, a slight improvement to the trim/waterline should be one more benefit from this. While the boat sits almost exactly as it should, if I could make one change, it would be to "lighten" the starboard stern quarter, and that is exactly where this tank resides. I think I would lighten that corner by 300-400 pounds, depending on how I use the storage and how large of a water tank I install. I can test it by emptying that fuel tank while keeping the other 3 full, watching the water line as I empty it. That will show me if this makes a slight improvement. I think it will.

If you do decide to add more water, you probably also need to increase holding tank capacity!!

Our 300 gals of potable water and 500 gals of fuel enabled extensive cruising without sufficient water worries. Mist folks will run out of water well before fuel unless doing extensive off shore distance cruising.
However, we were often cruising inland in fresh sediment laden water a lot. Hence in spite of having a water maker we seldom ran it unless off shore due to clogging filter and the potential to damage the membrane.
I think our experience would be similar and that is why I am not inclined to add a water maker for our type of crusing. Interesting fuel to water ratio you have Joe Pica. 1.67 to 1, fuel to water. That is very nice for the way most of us use our boats, I think, yet you still have nice cruising range.

If you do decide to add more water, you probably also need to increase holding tank capacity!!
It is something I will watch, but so far our black water tank capacity is far from being our limiting factor. Thankfully we are not in areas where gray water needs a tank..... for now. This change would provide a space for converting the new storage into a 2nd black water tank, or a gray water tank if that ever (hopefully not) becomes a requirement.

Thanks again everyone for all of the responses and tips on what to consider. I do appreciate it.

It's a very interesting question.

I would think your fuel capacity is more then enough for the cruising you are doing and that you will not ever miss not having that additional fuel onboard, but I'm sure you will enjoy the additional water every time you are out at anchor. Hopefully with a boat your size you could get further away from the sense of camping vs. living.

But take my advice with a grain of salt - Sea Venture has 2,200 gallons of diesel, (4,300 NM range) 1,200 gallons of water plus a water maker, so we don't need to conserve at all on water. (think wash the boat after getting salt on it while anchored)

Your lucky to have good access, which makes the option even reasonably possible.

Good luck,
Jim
M/V Sea Venture
www.youtube.com/CruisingSeaVenture

Another thing to consider is water quality and availability. We used our water maker in Mexico because we didn't trust the water at marinas. I don't know what the water availability is currently in the Bahamas. We didn't have a watermaker when we cruised in the Florida Keys, and sometimes ran into marinas where they would only sell a limited amount. Our watermaker was a pain to maintain, but long showers, lots of water for clothes washing and reliable good tasting water made up for the extra work.

Reo, no one, included the Mexicans, trust the water for drinking, in Mexico.

Last edited:
It is something I will watch, but so far our black water tank capacity is far from being our limiting factor. Thankfully we are not in areas where gray water needs a tank..... for now. This change would provide a space for converting the new storage into a 2nd black water tank, or a gray water tank if that ever (hopefully not) becomes a requirement.

How many gallons are your water tanks? How many gallons is your black water tank?

Water tanks are 2 X 80 gallons for 160. Black tank is never our limiting factor. I estimate it to be around 50 gallons or so, but it is molded fiberglass into the shape of the hull vs a purchased/labeled tank, so a bit of a guess. It maybe more. If I add 25 to 50% more water via this proposed change, then the black tank could become the limiting factor. That would still be a good thing, as that limit would still be more days at anchor than we go now. None of our limits are much of a problem (fuel, water, waste), but this change still has several benefits so it is tempting and worth considering.

Water tanks are 2 X 80 gallons for 160. Black tank is never our limiting factor. I estimate it to be around 50 gallons or so, but it is molded fiberglass into the shape of the hull vs a purchased/labeled tank, so a bit of a guess. It maybe more. If I add 25 to 50% more water via this proposed change, then the black tank could become the limiting factor. That would still be a good thing, as that limit would still be more days at anchor than we go now. None of our limits are much of a problem (fuel, water, waste), but this change still has several benefits so it is tempting and worth considering.

I have a 45 gal black water tank and it was not a problem with 4 people for a week.
Water tanks, 150 gallons and if you are a water waster at the dock, like me, just keep filling it. Underway, strict water usage or get a water maker. Hint: if you turn off the water heater, water usage will be less and will lead to a grumpy crew and guests.

I do agree that the cost of change a tank into a water tank will be less than a water maker but, having properly maintained water maker will increase resale value of the boat I think.

Hint: if it is yellow, no need to flush after each use.

A better water capacity has the advantage that you can TASTE the water before bringing on board.

Some dock water tastes like swimming pool drainage .

Stop using the hose next to the pumpout! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back
Top Bottom