Ford Lehman exhaust system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malmquist

Trawler friends

I have ”box” as the last resort for the exhausts and coolingwater.
Not all Lehmans have this arrangement, my question are why and what are pros and cons with it?
The engines runs well and I am very happy with them.
Hopefully I managed to attach a picture.

Thank you for your answer
Peter

Attachments

• IMG_8291.jpg
    IMG_8291.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
It should be changed to a mixing elbow. The problem with the box system arises when the internal baffles inevitably corrode, which allows salt water access to #6 cylinder At least that is how it it has been explained to me. I replaced mine at about 3000 hours with an American Diesel mixing elbow and replaced that one at about 9000 hours (some will say too long) with a stainless steel one from HDImarine. Well priced and very good people to deal with.

It should be changed to a mixing elbow. The problem with the box system arises when the internal baffles inevitably corrode, which allows salt water access to #6 cylinder At least that is how it it has been explained to me. I replaced mine at about 3000 hours with an American Diesel mixing elbow and replaced that one at about 9000 hours (some will say too long) with a stainless steel one from HDImarine. Well priced and very good people to deal with.

Thank You
Good advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom