For marinas in FL, what is a Liveaboard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prospective

Vessel Name
EPIC
Vessel Make
43' Ocean Super Sport
Like many, my wife and I would like, in the future, to move our boat down to FL for the winter for all the possible reasons... warmth, the experience, new cruising grounds, etc. Since we still work in jobs that require or presence, this would mean moving it down and leaving it, to then visit on weekends and vacations. Not to stay on all winter.

Up north where I'm familiar, marinas don't advertise prohibitions against liveaboards. In season you can stay on your boat overnight as much as you want. Weekends, weeks, whatever. Off season, the vast majority of us pull our boats and put them in storage on dry land.

In Florida, slips are often listed as "No Liveaboards". This includes commercial marinas as well as private slips behind homes. I'm aware that with Private Slips, many HOA's will not allow people to live on or even sleep on the boat. But what about traditional marinas? Can you sleep on your boat overnight or for a weekend or week. I'm not talking about 24/7 for months. I mean flying down to live on it for a week. Or spend a few nights over a long weekend?

I realize this answer could vary widely from marina to marina and I could start calling around. But we're probably 2-3 years from doing this and I figured I'd try to gauge general experience from those that have some?

Get on the wait list at Sunset Bay Marina and Anchorage in Stuart FL. Big live aboard community and a great location.

Of course, as you noted, the rules vary from marina to marina. In general, though, most marinas seem to allow you to stay overnight 8 or 10 nights per month. That is even those who don't allow liveaboards, or who charge extra for liveaboards.

At least, that is what I have found in the Tampa Bay area.

The marina (traditional) we're in (we're not live aboard, but sleep on the boat several times a month on pre/post underway days) has numerous people living aboard, full time (24/7/365 minus travel), some with dirt addresses, some with out.

The live aboard fee in our marina is $200 a month on top of your slip rental. We do not pay a live aboard fee for our 'occasional' days we sleep on board.

Can you sleep on your boat overnight or for a weekend or week. I'm not talking about 24/7 for months. I mean flying down to live on it for a week. Or spend a few nights over a long weekend?

This is not a 'Liveaboard'. You're allowed to sleep on your boat. I also assume that when you visit, you'll also be taking it out as well.

Stop hand-cuffing yourself. For goodness sakes, stop presenting yourself as a 'liveaboard', you're going to get turned away from a lot of places or taking on additional fees unnecessarily.

This is not a 'Liveaboard'. You're allowed to sleep on your boat. I also assume that when you visit, you'll also be taking it out as well.

Stop hand-cuffing yourself. For goodness sakes, stop presenting yourself as a 'liveaboard', you're going to get turned away from a lot of places or taking on additional fees unnecessarily.

Thanks. I had not presented myself as anything. Title of my post was "what is a liveaboard?" I wouldn't consider myself a liveaboard in this scenario but it's what marinas think that's most important.

I appreciate all of the feedback thus far. So far it sounds like occasional overnighting is generally acceptable even if liveaboards are prohibited.
Obviously dependent on the marina and their specific rules.

Last I remember (and not exactly sure of the numbers), Ft Pierce City marina put out instructions this past year ....that staying overnight for more than 10 days a month and/or more than 3 or four consecutive nights made you a liveaboard.

Again.... not positive of the numbers but it was way more restrictive than they were before. I have heard of other marinas tightening up their policies too.

These numbers are silly and discouraging for the serious boater yet not true liveabord.

Last I remember (and not exactly sure of the numbers), Ft Pierce City marina put out instructions this past year ....that staying overnight for more than 10 days a month and/or more than 3 or four consecutive nights made you a liveaboard.

Again.... not positive of the numbers but it was way more restrictive than they were before. I have heard of other marinas tightening up their policies too.

These numbers are silly and discouraging for the serious boater yet not true liveabord.

That is restrictive. When I was working in CT I spent more that 10 nights per month aboard most months.

Not only does it vary between marinas, but many marinas are selective with enforcement dependent upon the owner/boat. Getting ready to head to Bahamas and staying on boat for several weeks probably won't raise an eyebrow.

Good luck with your plan.

Peter

If I recall the State has already given a definition and therefore most marinas, while making up their own rules, still need to comply with the States ruling.

I believe the sate has determined that there are 2 categories under liveaboard.

1. Anyone who spends more than 20 days in a month is considered a liveaboard.

2 Anyone who has no fixed residence and resides sole on a boat is considered a liveaboard.

I am sure if you had the time you could google the correct info if I am a little off.

Florida Live-Aboard

Like many, my wife and I would like, in the future, to move our boat down to FL for the winter for all the possible reasons... warmth, the experience, new cruising grounds, etc. Since we still work in jobs that require or presence, this would mean moving it down and leaving it, to then visit on weekends and vacations. Not to stay on all winter.

Up north where I'm familiar, marinas don't advertise prohibitions against liveaboards. In season you can stay on your boat overnight as much as you want. Weekends, weeks, whatever. Off season, the vast majority of us pull our boats and put them in storage on dry land.

In Florida, slips are often listed as "No Liveaboards". This includes commercial marinas as well as private slips behind homes. I'm aware that with Private Slips, many HOA's will not allow people to live on or even sleep on the boat. But what about traditional marinas? Can you sleep on your boat overnight or for a weekend or week. I'm not talking about 24/7 for months. I mean flying down to live on it for a week. Or spend a few nights over a long weekend?

I realize this answer could vary widely from marina to marina and I could start calling around. But we're probably 2-3 years from doing this and I figured I'd try to gauge general experience from those that have some?

We had a boat in Ft. Pierce, about 90 miles north of Ft Lauderdale. We were NOT listed as live-aboards but did stay on our boat for up to 2 weeks at a time. We never had an issue.
I also rented a slip behind someones house in Ft. Lauderdale up the New River. They said staying on our boat was fine BUT the county had a No Live-Aboard law. He said as long as no one said anything to him, he was fine with it.
We kept our boat there for 2 months and stayed on the boat several times, without any issues.

The other issue is rent at a marina. Most have a multiple fee structure. Daily, Weekly, Monthly, 6 months or 1 year. At Ft Pierce we stayed for 12 months and left at the end of that lease period.

Another thing you might think about is if you were to rent a slip behind someones house, you could always anchor out when you are there. There are still plenty of places, at least around where we are currently have our boat in Delray Beach. BTW we now own a condo and have a slip that we rent in the complex. Its $2.00 per foot per month with electric and water. But only for people that own units.

And of course there is the issue of hurricanes.

In Florida, a lot of mainstream marinas 'lease' their slip seabed areas from the State. Included within most leases are restrictions on 'liveaboard' docking. The newer the lease, the more restrictive they seem to be.

Liveaboard vs sneak aboard

Most marinas I have spoken to have a maximum number of days - such as 10 nights a month - that they allow. Over that there are typically liveaboard fees up to $300 a month. A lot of vessels claim to be active cruisers to avoid the fees or stigma of being a liveaboard, but it bites you for being dishonest. Like everything, if you want to live in a community, admit it and you will thrive. Marinas May only charge the up-costs when you are aboard. Otherwise, the stealth approach could work for a while but could also end with embarrassing moments.

Thanks everyone, great feedback.

Sounds as if what we have in mind wouldn't be an issue. My wife and I both still work. her schedule is less flexible but I can work remotely. I would envision traveling down a couple of long weekends a month to sleep on board just to escape the cold weather. For longer visits, we'd likely go cruising for at least part of the time.

Additionally, what is cost generally for the winter months?

So we were thinking that next year we would take the ICW from NJ to somewhere in FL, stay aboard for a week or so, fly back and then repeat several times during the winter, returning the boat back to NJ early spring. Where in FL isn’t critical, just warmer than NJ. Generally speaking, what are slip rates by the month in general and I under stand that it will vary wildly but an average cost estimate would be very useful so we can work up a possibly budget. And reading the replies where some marinas limit how many days can be spent on the boat clearly adds to the confusion but can anyone provide some recommendations?

What kind of wait time are they saying once your on the list? Is there a deposit?

Back
Top Bottom