Fireboy Annual Inspection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikehar

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Gallivant
Vessel Make
Northern Marine 64
Has anyone had an engine room fireboy inspected lately? Generally, they test the shutoffs, weigh the fire extinguisher, and put it back together. If so, what were you charged? I think I'm being gouged.

The PO had one done when we bought the boat per the survey. I believe he said it cost about $340.

I had mine done a couple of years ago. Cost me $200 or there about. The inspector was already at the marina so no travel charges.

I just had mine done last month. Cost me $150.

Thanks!

Just did ours I believe was around $300. She also checked the other 4 portables, and she had us run through how to exercise the Fireboy engine start override switch at the helm.

Had my last annual performed in OCT 22. $350.

Just learned something as I thought I was told these systems were obsolete when I bought my boat. 1986 Tollycraft.

I’ve heard of someone with the same boat having trouble tracking down an engine problem which turned out to be an issue with this system. I think it malfunctioned and prevented starting.

Does the system cause an engine shutdown if it is activated?

How do I track down an inspector?

Just learned something as I thought I was told these systems were obsolete when I bought my boat. 1986 Tollycraft.

I’ve heard of someone with the same boat having trouble tracking down an engine problem which turned out to be an issue with this system. I think it malfunctioned and prevented starting.

Does the system cause an engine shutdown if it is activated?

How do I track down an inspector?

Yes, on diesel boats there is an auto shutdown when the system is activated. Diesels will run on halon and therefore evacuate the halon before it may have put out the fire. Gas engines will not run on it so it will shutdown the engines on its own. Good luck finding someone to inspect the system unless you live in a large boating area. Try calling the local fire extinguisher companies and they may have some info on who will service the system.

Yes, on diesel boats there is an auto shutdown when the system is activated. Diesels will run on halon and therefore evacuate the halon before it may have put out the fire. Gas engines will not run on it so it will shutdown the engines on its own. Good luck finding someone to inspect the system unless you live in a large boating area. Try calling the local fire extinguisher companies and they may have some info on who will service the system.

Even some gas boats have an engine shutdown system. I keep meaning to trace the wires for mine to find out if it kills the engines, bilge blowers, or both. I don't think it shuts the generator down though.

Even some gas boats have an engine shutdown system. I keep meaning to trace the wires for mine to find out if it kills the engines, bilge blowers, or both. I don't think it shuts the generator down though.

To do its job it needs to shut down anything and everything that is pulling air out of the ER. That means the main engine(s), wing or aux engine, generator, and all exhaust and intake fans.

To do its job it needs to shut down anything and everything that is pulling air out of the ER. That means the main engine(s), wing or aux engine, generator, and all exhaust and intake fans.

Agreed. I'm just not sure what was actually done from the factory for my boat. And the unit is in a hard to see location, of course, so it's going to be interesting to trace.

I have a fireboy on my GB and was wondering if you guys have a cutoff for the engine room blowers on top of killing the diesels if it goes off? I have dealt with Halon systems in big server rooms and when they go off it automatically turns off ventilation for obvious reasons. I was thinking of adding a smart relay that would kill the blowers in the event of the fireboy going off. Any thoughts?

I have a fireboy on my GB and was wondering if you guys have a cutoff for the engine room blowers on top of killing the diesels if it goes off? I have dealt with Halon systems in big server rooms and when they go off it automatically turns off ventilation for obvious reasons. I was thinking of adding a smart relay that would kill the blowers in the event of the fireboy going off. Any thoughts?

Yes, the blowers need to be shut down too. Otherwise they can/will remove the fire suppressant from the space before it has time to suppress the fire.

Thanks, that is what I thought. I am going to try and set up a Shelly Uni going to a Shelly One + relays so that when the FireBoy shuts off the Diesels it also shuts off the blowers. Do you think putting servo controlled louvers on the openings and closing them as well is overkill?

Thanks, that is what I thought. I am going to try and set up a Shelly Uni going to a Shelly One + relays so that when the FireBoy shuts off the Diesels it also shuts off the blowers. Do you think putting servo controlled louvers on the openings and closing them as well is overkill?

If they're big vents it's not a bad idea. I think the only reason it's not more common is the practicality and cost of doing it.

Even better would be a 2 stage system like airplane cargo holds use. First bottle dumps, then the second dispenses slowly to maintain the extinguishing agent concentration while everything cools to prevent a reflash.

They are common on bigger boats

If they're big vents it's not a bad idea. I think the only reason it's not more common is the practicality and cost of doing it.

Even better would be a 2 stage system like airplane cargo holds use. First bottle dumps, then the second dispenses slowly to maintain the extinguishing agent concentration while everything cools to prevent a reflash.

I'm going to attempt it after the summer and will post the parts and procedures here if I am successful.

Back
Top Bottom