Every Day Is Like Christmas!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is an app to help people to track where they put stuff on their boat. I used it on the sailboat we sold in 2019, but have not got to starting from scratch on our new to us trawler.
PO did leave some maintenance records, but not all. Left some helpful hints re fuel burn. Also left a couple of “puzzles” . Still working at solving them

I also had lots of mystery parts, papers, used and useless stuff. A big plus is the spare prop. After my refit I was able to toss a lot of crap I was unsure of. Now I am trying to decide what new stuff to replace it with. I have questions like how many different size screws, bolts, nuts and washers do I really need. I am also a tool guy and love my battery stuff. How much of that do I need. Decisions, decisions.

I also had lots of mystery parts, papers, used and useless stuff. A big plus is the spare prop. After my refit I was able to toss a lot of crap I was unsure of. Now I am trying to decide what new stuff to replace it with. I have questions like how many different size screws, bolts, nuts and washers do I really need. I am also a tool guy and love my battery stuff. How much of that do I need. Decisions, decisions.

I have never been able to bring myself to throw out an extra screw, bolt, nut, washer, etc. I keep buying cabinets with little drawers and steal jars from the kitchen to hold more... so I can continue. The reality is, it's easier to go to the marine store or local home center to buy exactly what I need for a project, when I need it, than to look through my own collection. I haven't asked my Dr. about this yet...

There is an app to help people to track where they put stuff on their boat. I used it on the sailboat we sold in 2019, but have not got to starting from scratch on our new to us trawler.
PO did leave some maintenance records, but not all. Left some helpful hints re fuel burn. Also left a couple of “puzzles” . Still working at solving them

What is that app? Care to share???

I've never had surprises down the road on any used boat I've bought. That's because my first action upon owning is to totally open, clean, disinfect, repack, throw away, etc.

Old boat are always gross to me, so an incredibly thorough cleaning helps in both these endeavors.

OP, I know EXACTLY what you mean about every day being Christmas. I said the same thing a year ago when I bought my 57 Selene. There were the things I found hidden away, and also learning all of the electronic equipment, domestic equipment, and engine room equipment. I thought I had found everything and then about 9 months into ownership I found a compartment under the pilot house setee. Inside the settee was a wooden box. My eyes lite up and widened as I carefully removed the pecious box from its hold. There were several brass latches that held the lid tight and contents secure. After unlatching the clasps I slowly raised the lid to find a beautiful Japanese sextant (looks high quality and expensive)!. I don't know why I am so excited about that. Someday I may learn how to use it.

I still haven't gotten the safe open. I'm sure it's loaded with Davey Jones' treasures.

Back
Top Bottom